nathan nicholas born 3/10/11 via c-section 32 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lizard

Re: nathan nicholas born 3/10/11 via c-section 32 weeks

Postby lizard » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey nikki,

just wondering how nathan is doing and you as well?

nikkibee

Postby nikkibee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 03:03 pm

thank you so much! the headaches have been easing up, the past 3 days haven't been great but the rest of the week was good headache-wise. i am now back on my pre-pregnancy meds, which are helping a LOT. i'm fairly sure i'll be on something for depression/anxiety for my whole life, but i'm okay with that if it keeps me stable.

nathan is doing great, he's gaining weight like a champ and he's been doing better with eating from a bottle. he doesn't always finish them, which he'll need to start doing, but it's progress! i'm very proud of him. sadly though he suffers from reflux and it really seems to be unpleasant for him, and that is hard to watch. i'm excited to get him home as well as terrified to be taking care of him myself without the nurses right there!
mama to nathan, born 3/10/11 via c-section at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia (2lbs 15oz) currently in NICU

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Fri Apr 15, 2011 02:57 pm

Congrats on your new little guy! He is so handsome. What a cutie!

Just wanted to add that I had a severe headache/migraine after my last baby was born in August 2009. I had severe post partum PE and was readmitted back into ICU. I went to an Opthamologist and a Neurologist and had every test you could have done. (Retinal Angiography and a brain MRI) All test came back normal and good. My headache was 24/7 and lasted for about 6 weeks after delivery. I was sensitive to light and sound also. Neuro said it could be completely hormonal. It was terrible. I had never in my life had a migraine before so it was ridiculous. Finally the headache started to ease up and then it just went away as quickly as it came. Almost overnight I was back to headache free. No real explanation so I guess it was hormones. So, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

As for your depression, I think it would be quite understandable given the trauma you have been through lately with your baby being in NICU and born so early. I suffered extreme anxiety after my bout with PE and I got on Zoloft around 8 weeks PP. I stayed on it until my son was a year old. It worked wonders for me and I needed it at the time. Come here and talk to these women. They really helped me a lot too.

Good luck to you and again CONGRATS!!!!
Melissa ~ 36 years old

Son ~ born April 2006 ~ No Complications
Son ~ born August 2009 ~ severe post partum pre-eclampsia, still on bp meds (never returned to normal)

lizard

Postby lizard » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 pm

he's adorable! that picture brought back a flood of memories for me. I remember so clearly the days of the NG tube and starting Bear on bottles, those tiny bottles and all the milestones. we used a nipple sheild for a long time and then one day he grabbed and threw it down and latched on without it. all the accomplishments big or small! Bear came home when he weighed 4.3 and that was big to us being that he was only 2.11 when he was born. he weighed 5.11 on his due date i believe. i am happy for you guys and that he is doing so well. nathan is a strong little guy! i hope you start feeling better soon. :) thanks for the update!

nikkibee

Postby nikkibee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:20 pm

hi everyone,

nathan is up to 4lbs 2 oz, which is great! he is off oxygen and keeping himself warm. they just started bottle feeding him and he's still learning that. he is being fed by bottle and NG tube.

i'm doing better...still having some bad anxiety and some depression but i'm seeing a psychiatrist on wednesday and hoping he can get my meds straightened out.
mama to nathan, born 3/10/11 via c-section at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia (2lbs 15oz) currently in NICU

nikkibee

Postby nikkibee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 07:42 pm

thank you for the kind words, i really appreciate them. i was pumping at first but i've stopped now due to the meds i need to take. i had a very hard time with that decision and i cried a lot...i feel like pumping was the only thing i could do for him and now there's nothing. but i guess my mom and husband are right, i need to take care of myself before he gets home and if that means he has to go on formula, it's not the worst thing in the world.

i need to find a primary care doctor soon, maybe they can help with the headaches. i'm not sure if they are hormonal or what...i've always had them but my meds aren't helping at all. i know i can't rely on my OB anymore for this stuff because she's not a primary care doctor. i'm thankful that she was willing to prescribe my old meds until i can get in and see a psych.

lizard

Postby lizard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 07:35 pm

Hi Nikki

So glad to hear Nathan is doing well. Sad to hear you aren't :( I remember having moments where i would take a shower and spend the entire shower crying. Having a baby in the NICU is super hard. The day we left the hospital i couldn't barely walk out with out falling into a ball...it was devastating. Then you have all the hormones you are shedding from pregnancy and your csection healing going on. you have a lot on your plate. I would wonder if you were just happily going along...so give yourself some grace to feel all that you are feeling. maybe the meds will kick in soon and hopefully your headaches go away. that will be huge. are you pumping? just curious.

Hang in there, i bet in another week you will feel better. I know it's hard for you to get to the NICU but the more often you are there with him, i swear, the better you will feel. It might not seem that way but once you start to bond THOSE hormones will take over!! and they feel goood. you are not a bad mother, you need to take care of yourself first. nathan is in good hands...he has the best babysitters he will EVER have.

(((Feel better soon))).

nikkibee

Postby nikkibee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 07:14 pm

hi elizabeth,

thanks for asking. nathan is doing great, he's been gaining weight and has been a lot happier since they took a tube out of his stomach that was helping air get out.

as for me, i seem to have developed some pretty bad PPD. i was able to hold nathan for the second time a few nights ago, and that seems to have triggered it...i got home that night from the NICU and couldn't stop crying because i hate leaving him there so much. the next day i cried all day long and my OB had my husband take me to the ER. they have prescribed me the anxiety/depression meds i was taking before i got pregnant and hoping that it will help. i'm pretty scared because all i want to do is cry and stay in bed. i haven't been up to see the baby in a few days because i can't even THINK about him without crying. i feel like i'm already a terrible mother! :(

the other thing is that i've been having severe migraines and nothing helps them except a shot from urgent care. i can't go there every day so i don't really know what to do for them! right now i can hardly even move my neck from the pain...

sorry to make such a complain-y post...i guess i needed to vent a bit. :/

lizard

Postby lizard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 07:10 pm

Nikki,

Just curious how you and Nathan are doing. Hope he is doing great and you are too. Keep us posted!
Elizabeth

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 09:13 am

Congrats on your handsome lil' man! Praying he has a short stay in the NICU, thrives, and can be home with his mommy and daddy soon! I'm thankful you found us, a great place to continue to connect with other survivors. Keep us posted on your son's progress!
Take care,
Mindy
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

Return to “Ask the Experienced”