Need reality check - is Pre-E inevitable?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
nov_mum

Re: Need reality check - is Pre-E inevitable?

Postby nov_mum » Tue Apr 19, 2011 05:06 pm

It sounds like it might be slowly creeping up but like others have said, you are in a great spot to be with 35 weeks under your belt. I had my boy at 35+2 and he was small but very healthy. I hope it all goes well for you : )

4cowwoman

Postby 4cowwoman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 09:20 am

Thank you for all of your support and encouragement. So far, so good. The 24 hour urine sample I collected six days ago came back with protein at 226 mg, so a little elevated but still under the diagnostic level for Pre-E. At its highest my BP is in the mid to high 130s/80s, although some days I get back to the 120s/70s. I am 35 weeks tomorrow so I am going to keep up with my self-monitoring and doctor's care. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Baby and I can keep this up for at least two more weeks. Thanks for all of your help!

patty

Postby patty » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am

34 weeks is a great place to be if, sounds like you might be heading in that direction but sounds like your doctors are being very proactive and since they are doing a 24hr urine you should know more when that comes back. Usually anything over 300 is diagnostic or pre-e. A lot of women do creep along slowly for a few weeks so if you are on that track you still have a good chance of making it to term just familiarize yourself with the warning signs and take it easy. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Patty mom to: Seth 6-24-95 (severe preeclampsia that got worse postpartum, delivered at 36 weeks), Brooks 9-11-98 (preeclampsia delivered at 35weeks), Sylvia 5-24-01(my only girl, PIH delivered at 38 weeks), Raleigh 2-19-06 (born on my 37th birthday, severe preeclamsia, 3 weeks of hospital bedrest, delivered at 34 weeks) and last but not least little Randall 5-07-08, 3lbs 11oz.(severe preeclampsia, a month of hospital bedrest, delivered at 31weeks, 25days in the NICU with RDS, chest tubes and NEC)

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 pm

I agree with Mindy. The important thing is to know your symptoms, and you seem to be well aware of them. If it does happen, the typical thing they will due is put you on Mag and hypertension medication. If it is mild enough you should be able to get to term without getting too sick. Typically, the time between diagnosis and delivery is 2 weeks. Although, many of the ladies on this forum have been able to hold out longer.

Truthfully, there isn't much research supporting or negating the effectiveness of bed rest in preeclampsia itself. The only real positive is that is allows the baby feed longer than if you are upright and moving around.

That said, I have been on the other side of preeclampsia and HELLP and I know it can progress quickly...as in hours. I went from being PIH and borderline preeclampsia with some protein in my urine to full blown severe PE and HELLP between the hours of 3:30PM and 9:40PM which was when my son was delivered and ultimately died at birth.

When in doubt, cry out.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 09:21 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It sounds like you have some amazing care, very proactive, and arming yourself with knowledge will only help! That's usually my advice, read up on the signs and symptoms, familiarize yourself and listen to you body. If you feel something is wrong then be seen, better to be safe. Welcome to the boards and hoping for a healthy remainder of your pregnancy!
Take care,
Mindy
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

4cowwoman

Need reality check - is Pre-E inevitable?

Postby 4cowwoman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 06:47 pm

I am so glad I found this forum and would love a reality check because I feel like I am obsessing over potential Pre-eclampsia . I will be 34 weeks tomorrow and feel like I am inching towards Pre-E and need your thoughts on what, if anything, I can do to get this under control to ensure that I have a healthy baby. I am under the care of a perinatologist b/c I have Type 2 diabetes and, thankfully, I have been able to keep my blood sugar under tight control throughout the entire pregnancy with a combination of oral meds and diet. I have several other risk factors listed on this site: 1st pregnancy, 41 years old, and obesity (BMI of 34). My peri let me know early on that they would be closely monitoring me for Pre-E as my pregnancy progressed but it didn't become "real" to me until 2 weeks ago. Normally I have very good BP, usually systolic in the 100s-110s and diastolic in the 60s to 70s.

In the past 2 weeks my BP has risen to the low and high 130s/80s, just under but never quite reaching 140/90, which my peri says is my diagnostic level. My in-office protein dipstick levels have progressed from negative, to trace, to +1 three days ago. When my BP made its first rise two weeks ago my peri ordered labs and everything came back normal: negative for protein, platelets at 177,000, my CBC within normal levels. I have had a couple of low-grade headaches but Tylenol took care of them, I have been seeing floaters but I saw often floaters even pre-pregnancy, and I haven't had any other visual disturbances. I have had mild swelling in my hands and feet and slight swelling in my face but it goes away once I lay down and rest. I work full time outside the home, usually 50 hours a week, but an currently working a modified schedule to work half time from home and have cut out all evening meetings. I am currently collecting a 24 hour urine sample that I will turn in tomorrow. Due to my diabetes, I see my peri for twice-weekly NSTs and realize I am fortunate to get this much monitoring.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I have read others stories on this site and feel kind of embarrassed obsessing this much when others have had much more extreme situations. From what I've read, if my BP and protein do rise to the diagnostic level then bed rest might be an option but it appears unclear how much bed rest affects the end result. Thank you!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”