NERVOUS ABOUT DELIVERY!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
miamibunnie

Re: NERVOUS ABOUT DELIVERY!!

Postby miamibunnie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 07:37 pm

Heather thank you so much for telling me your exp. I feel much better...and your right you tube just made it worse. I just want these weeks to fly by quick!
Lisette 37 Hubby 37
Lisette 36 / Luis 36
1996 25 weeker due to Eclampsia with seizures daughter alive today 15 yrs old " Julyzah Caridad"
2010 23 weeker due to severe preeclampsia my angel left us

2011/27/July we beat preeclampsia and made it to 36.5 weeks 6lbs 1oz baby girl "Kendall Lauren " pe-free just bp started acting up.
Thanks to God, my doctor, Lovenox and Lda.

michelarea

Postby michelarea » Mon Jun 20, 2011 07:54 am

Hi! I had two c-sections (emergency the first, scheduled the second with two spinal blocks). The spinal blocks were both very smooth, no pain at al during the surgery, pretty fast recovering with no side effects. Second time they gave me morphine as a painkiler (maybe even first but I was very sick with Hellp, so not sure) and It gives some mild unpleasant side effects like itching and numbness for some hours, but not too serious

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Alexis, that was an excellent explanation of the differences between the two.

Lisette, first - don't watch anymore spinals on YouTube! ;) The spinal and epi will numb you from directly under your breasts down. I really wasn't bothered by the feeling of numbness. With both, I was very, very relaxed once the medication began working. Your anesthesiologist will make sure you are comfortable at all points from pre-op, through delivery, and post-op. The guy I had with Ella held my left hand through most of the delivery and talked me through everything happening during the surgery, made sure I was comfortable, and even brought me warm blankets and sat with me and chatted in post-op while I was waiting on my baby to be cleaned up and brought back. By the time I was out of post-op (usually about an hour and a half to two hours) and being taken to a room, I had enough feeling return to be able to (slowly!) sit up in bed, and take a couple of steps to the wheelchair to be steered to my room. :) Your abdominal area and sutures will have numbness for some time, though. I was able to be up and walk to the bathroom by that night, and I was wireless and taking showers within 24 hours. Hope that helps a little! And no more YouTube! ;)
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

tracym

Postby tracym » Sun Jun 19, 2011 09:30 pm

My first delivery was an emergent c-section under GA. My dr was happy for a trial of labour with my second pregnancy had everything been going well and I started labour naturally. As it turned out I had to deliver at 33 weeks so a repeat c-section it was. The anaesthetist preferred to use a spinal so that's what we did. It took forever to get it in (swelling) but was fine once it was. Although my c-section went for sooo long (she was wedged under my ribs, dr used forceps and I have a giant scar that the dr cut so she could get her arms in there...it's 3 times as wide as my first c-section) it did start to wear off at the end, and therefore I was in a fair bit of pain for the last 10 minutes or so of sewing and a lot of pain in recovery. That is certainly not the norm though, I'd have no hesitation going down the same path again.
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 08:46 pm

The spinal is pretty similar to the epi in terms of effects--it's a regional block.

Many anesthesiologists prefer them when an epidural isn't already placed--they're easier and faster to do, and reportedly give a denser block. Other anesthesiologists like epidural because it can be topped up and the catheter can be used for post-operative pain relief (PCA--where you push a button for more meds). With a spinal, it's a single shot deal that wears off within a couple of hours. They'll usually put a long lasting narcotic such as Duramorph into your spinal for initial post-op relief.

I had an epidural for my not-in-labor section. The anesthesiologist wanted to do a combined spinal-epidural, which uses both techniques (giving you the rapid onset of a spinal with the ability to top up of an epidural); from what I have heard, this is not so popular in the USA, at least for sections. My back is apparently "tricky"; CSE involves a particular needle-through-needle technique which he was not able to do.

I know many women who had spinals for their sections and I actually hear fewer failed-spinal stories than failed epis. (To be fair, several of the failed epi stories involve ones that were placed in labor and topped up for surgery, which I've heard is a worse scenario for failure.) If I had a scheduled section I would probably use whichever technique the anesthesiologist preferred.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:02 pm

@ Jasmine I will definitely will have the date next week...but she did say 36 or 37 weeks...so that should be sometime between July 15th thru July 22..I am so nervous. She mention that I will get an amniocetesis 1 day prior to surgery.I will be admitted for 3-5 days depending how things go with c-section if I decide to go for this procedure.

@ PANGUITCHO yeah she did offer vaginal but there are risks for the baby and I since I had a c-section with my first daughter.

She also mention that hopefully everything stays quiet for the next couple of weeks.

@ Heather...did the spinal anest numb your entire body? How long did it take to wear out after delivering? Its scary to feel paralyized....but what makes it worst is for how long. I am definitely letting my dr know that I donot want a fellow or resident doing this.

She says that I will get to hear the baby cry....Im just scared....worst thing I did today is get on you tube and see videos on spinal blocks. :(
Lisette 37 Hubby 37
Lisette 36 / Luis 36
1996 25 weeker due to Eclampsia with seizures daughter alive today 15 yrs old " Julyzah Caridad"

2011/27/July we beat preeclampsia and made it to 36.5 weeks 6lbs 1oz baby girl "Kendall Lauren " pe-free just bp started acting up.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sat Jun 18, 2011 09:50 pm

Lisette, they usually do either an epidural or a spinal block with a section. The hospital I deliver at prefers spinals on repeat sections (not sure why), but had no problem giving me an epidural instead when I requested that. The spinal is a a one shot drug, and the epi meds are controlled by the anesthesiologist throughout the surgery (I felt that if something was wearing off, imwanted someone there who would be be able to manage the dosing). I was on lovenox/heparin during my last two pregnancies, and stopped 48 hours prior to our anticipated delivery. If you find yourself in a situation that requires you to be delivered sooner, they can reverse the affects of the anticoagulants. If there is no time to wait for that to happen, they will use general on you (meaning you'll be unconscious).

I had a spinal with my first and an epidural with the last two, and all three deliveries went very smoothly. Hoping you find the same to be true for you if you have a section! Not too much longer now!
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sat Jun 18, 2011 08:21 pm

I'm headed down that road but I have no idea about the logistics of the actual delivery. Thanks for the head's up Lisette.

When is your scheduled C-Section?
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 07:19 pm

believe me I am also one of those that ask tons of questions. I did mention to her about stopping lovenox soon. She said that around 35 weeks she will stop...I just dont understand. She did say about getting a spinal block.
Lisette 37 Hubby 37
Lisette 36 / Luis 36

panguitch02

Postby panguitch02 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 04:00 pm

Maybe they want to do a Spinal Block. I do not think they would do a c-section without a painkiller.

Any chance of a vaginal delivery?
Shannon (34) & Jason (35)
Jameson 6/1/07 33 weeks to Severe PE... 5 weeks NICU
Lilah Noel 1/2/11 PIH from 19 weeks... VBAC at 40 weeks

Return to “Ask the Experienced”