I had Faith-PE again??? induction scare

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
celticepona

Re: I had Faith-PE again??? induction scare

Postby celticepona » Sun Jan 12, 639253 4:05 pm

Thank you again. I think it was a manifestation of PE in some form also. (my gut tells me, despite what my doctors will say.) :) Yes unfortunately I do have chronic HTN....my bps never went back to normal without meds after I had PE the first time. I am hoping that once I finally HEAL I will start exercising again and try to lose some weight and get a little healthier, and hopefully some day I can cut down on my meds or go off them completely. We will see.
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 04, 639252 3:04 am

I do think this is preeclampsia. It might not be preeclampsia that meets the research definition, but as one of our Experts says, "treat people, not diseases."

Then again, any subsequent pregnancy won't meet the usual research definition, which only includes first pregnancies.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Oct 11, 639252 12:40 am

Wow, what an experience! So glad you and Faith are okay.

I had a similar experience of being induced at 38 weeks due to increasing bp's. Was sent home with very high bp and no med. increases by reg. OB. No lab work was done at all while I was in the hospital.

I never got a clear answer as to what happened last time. Do you have CHT? I'm starting to think maybe most moms with CHT will have crazy bp's post delivery, wish they'd get our bp's back to normal before sending us home though.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Mon Sep 30, 639252 6:00 pm

Blythe, thanks so much. Yes I will be seeing them for my 6 week checkup. I actually go back on Tuesday to see them because I am having issues with my insicion healing properly. (On top of everything else. :) ) I will ask them that question, and I am interested to see what their answer will be. I had a feeling it could have been PE or something related to it, but my docs seemed so hung up on my labs not being remarkable and not spilling protien that they let me go as far as I did. My bps started rising this time around 34 weeks, and my doc said they did not know why. My gut told me that my body was going into PE again, but I had no other red flags. That is what happened with Emily. I tried to tell them as I felt each symptom appear: high bps, hyperreflexia, and then in the hospital, my hands, face and feet swelling...my peri was supposed to be the best but I felt like i was being made out to be a worry wort or a hyperchondriac in telling them. (they kept saying I was fine)

At any rate, today I finally got a good bp reading 106/78, so the meds are finally bringing my bps down. Now I just need to get healed up from the csection. :) Thanks so much for all of your support. I had a tubal done so Faith is my absolute last. I am never putting my body or my baby's life in jeapordy again.

I am so glad that you guys are here....and this confirms my belief, know your body, know the symptoms, and dont give up on communicating with your doctor.
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Jul 02, 639250 6:13 pm

Wow, Amy! I'm so glad you and Faith are okay!

If I'm understanding right, PE, PIH, GH, HELLP, etc are all under the same "umbrella" of hypertensive issues related to pregnancy. You might not have had proteinuria (though if you'd done a 24-hour urine collection during your induction or immediately post-partum I wonder if you might have actually been spilling a small diagnostic amount), but even without proteinuria your placenta was obviously compromised and you had quite a few of the symptoms: high bps, swelling, hyperreflexia, and visual disturbances.

Family Practice Notebook is a great resource http://www.fpnotebook.com/CV/OB/HyprtnsnInPrgncy.htm
They note:
"Gestational hypertension can be divided into several broad categories according to the complexity and associated symptoms, such as EDEMA; PROTEINURIA; SEIZURES; abnormalities in BLOOD COAGULATION and liver functions.

And under Severe PIH Management http://www.fpnotebook.com/CV/OB/SvrPhMngmnt.htm they use the term "severe PIH" as interchangable with "severe PE" and under "Criteria" note that "*One of the following must be present (Hypertension, Proteinuria or Other Criteria)"
(other criteria including visual disturbances or other neurological changes, fetal growth restriction, among others)

So yes, in my absolutely not-a-doctor opinion, you had preeclampsia or something very closely related to preeclampsia. Will you be seeing the same docs for your 6 week post-partum follow-up? I'd be interested to hear their answer to your question!

Thanks for sharing your experience, and welcome to the world, Faith!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

celticepona

I had Faith-PE again??? induction scare

Postby celticepona » Sat Jul 02, 639250 4:15 am

Hello Ladies. I will try to make this short. On June 11th I started getting contractions. I headed into L&D at 3am and was triaged. A resident was originally going to send me home (I live an hour from the hospital) but a doctor from my Peri stepped in and decided to keep me and induce me given my history of PE. I was 39 weeks. They started me on pictocin, and then a few hours later my water broke. I got an epidural which worked a little too well bc I could feel nothing. I was resting around 7pm when doctors and nurses rushed into my room and had me get on to my hands and knees. They said Faiths heart rate had dropped to 60. I was only 5cm dialated and 50 percent effaced and had not progressed much during the induction. I was passing blood clots in my bloody show and there was quite a bit of blood coming out of me. The doc made a desicion to do an emergency csection. They got her out and the doctor had said that my placenta was "ratty" and that it had started to separate, causing clots and affecting her heartrate. They had to suction her out before they took her out of me and had a hard time getting her out. They got her out okay and she weighed 6lbs 12 oz. She had only gained a few ounces bc she weighed 6lbs 2oz at my 35 week ultrasound. My bps were labile and were running between 120/70 to 180/108 in the hospital. On the day they were going to discharge me I had significant swelling in my hands, face and feet. Amazingly my head Peri sent me home on bp meds and said my bps of 155/93 were ok!!!!!!!! :shock: I got home and had a headache, vision disturbances, and swelling, and my bp was thru the roof. I called my peri who sent me back to the ER and I was put on Mag, which did not lower my bps. They put me on lasix, labetelol and altace. and I was sent home. The lasix worked and I lost about 16lbs of water over the next few days and my swellling went down. But my bps continued to shoot up into the 160s/100s up to early this week. The altace has finally kicked in and the past four days Ive been running 120s/80s. The kicker is, my labs were always good and I never spilled protien. But I had swelling, high bps and visual disturbances. My docs have not said it was PE. WHAT DO YOU THINK????? Was it PE again? My syymptoms were very similar to what I exp;erienced with my first pregnancy. Very scary. I will write some more when I have time. Thank you for listeneing and thank god my baby is okay.
Amy. DH Rich.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”