anyone take zoloft during pregnancy?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: anyone take zoloft during pregnancy?

Postby caryn » Thu Jun 12, 639253 5:30 am

Pregnancy can trigger mental health issues. I am very sketchy about the newer data on SSRIs in pregnancy and fetal outcomes simply because it is quite clear that, in particular, placentas off from the normal can do things like raise cortisol levels - which can cause anxiety while going along with raised risk of PE and some other conditions. It isn't clear to me that those risks are separated out.

If a study found that, say, SSRIs were correlated to PE, I would want to know that they had a sample who were equally anxious and didn't take SSRIs and didn't get PE at the same rates as the SSRI group, kwim?

So I agree; talk to your docs about risks and benefits and then roll your eyes at bossy people who disagree with what your docs have agreed is prudent for you!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

bethgirga

Postby bethgirga » Tue May 20, 639253 2:01 am

This can be a REALLY frustrating and hard decision to make. My first pregnancy I decided to wean off all medications PRIOR to getting pregnant. My thought process was, if I get pregnant I'll be a different person and just feel relaxed, etc. That DID NOT happen. I was a train wreck. I couldn't sleep, eat, function at work, etc. It was HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE. I struggled with the decision to go back on a med. Around week 24 I went in to my OB and she put me on Zoloft. I was scared to death the rest of my pregnancy because I was on this medication, although I met with MANY doctors that said that Zoloft is safe. I wish I would have just listened to them and not my head because turned out it was safe. By the time I had my son I was on 200 mg a day, plus a little bit of Xanax. Baby born completely normal, and now he is a totally normal 3 year old. He was the best baby and has been a total joy.

With that said I decided to go for number 2. I'm currently pregnant almost at 25 weeks with twins. This time I didn't wean and didn't blink an eye regarding medication. I am on Prozac this time, 60 mg a day, take Ambien when I am anxious and need sleep. Being that I'm having twins :o I am monitored VERY closely. I have an u/s at the perinatal clinic every month. Both babies are looking great! I have talked to my OB, the perinatal doctor, a psychiatrist, hmmmm who else about being on the med. None of them even blink an eye.

Trust me, you can make the decision but whatever decision you make will be the right one. The only time someone gave me a hard time was when I pick up my med at the Pharmacy (you pharmacists :D ) and I just replied that both my OB and Perinatal doc are totally on board and think that it is safe. Feel free to ask me any other questions - I have researched this topic a lot.

jend01

Postby jend01 » Thu Jan 23, 639253 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies! I am thinking that I will try to wean off the zoloft and to the best I can with my therapy and haveing my husband go with me. I am a very strong willed and it took a long time for my docs to convince me that meds were a good choice for me and now I am scared about going off of them! There is no question in my mind about taking my bp meds. I guess I should prepare myself for frequent dr appointments to monitor everything :)
DS July 8th 2008 36+weeks
-No signs, no symptoms, Severe PE led to HELLP and eclampsia. My wonderful doctors saved my life based on a large weight gain between appointments!
-chronic hypertensive and PTSD, doing well on meds :)
07/11 - TTC :)

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Thu Jan 23, 639253 6:50 pm

I took a different med (nothing against Zoloft--just about what worked for me) and it was fine. I know many women who have taken Zoloft in pregnancy. As far as I know, the only SSRI that has any solid evidence of a problem is Paxil.

As for your coworkers: There is a common prejudice against medicating pregnant women and a skewed risk benefit analysis. It relies on a logical fallacy: that harm from inaction is preferable to harm from action. I think it reduces pregnant women to incubators. On top of that, there's a false belief that mental problems are somehow less serious and important than physical ones. YOU need to make the risk benefit analysis. Not your coworkers. Anxiety and depression in pregnancy can be harmful. If you do not feel that you would be in a good place mentally during pregnancy, you need to take that seriously, the same way we hypertensives do when we consider when and how to medicate during pregnancy. In my first pregnancy I encountered some sanctimonious people who told me "If it were MY baby, I wouldn't take the risk." Well, I thought my baby deserved a functional mother, and not a martyr. Your situation may be different, but ultimately, you need to be the one to weigh the evidence. Of all the meds you can use for anxiety in pregnancy, Zoloft is one of the safest AFAIK. SSRIs are definitely a safer choice than benzodiazepines.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu Jan 23, 639253 6:32 pm

I have a good friend who was on a low dose her 2nd preg (her first baby was stillborn)- his lungs took a little longer to develop (wasn't ready at 37 weeks according to her amnio), but otherwise he was fine. I know we have a poster here who was on it and her baby had rapid breathing/oxygen sat issues and spent a little time in the nicu.I think they ended up deciding it was probably the meds/withdrawal.I suffered through without meds, it was tough but my doctors didn't want to just start me on something during pregnancy if we could help it- I got through with weekly appointments, a doppler at home, and lots of stress/anxiety, but I'm glad I managed to get through it without meds.

I'd say try without or try to wean off them and you can always add them if you need them.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

jend01

anyone take zoloft during pregnancy?

Postby jend01 » Thu Jan 23, 639253 3:07 pm

We are officially trying to have another baby now :)

I am making all of my dr apts so that I can have all of my meds changed to "safer" meds for pregnancy. My BP med will be changed to labetalol, starting prenatal vitamins. Not sure what I will be doing about the Zoloft though? Working in a pharmacy makes it a very tough decision, all my coworkers are very against it and say that I should do whatever I can, to not take it. I am a little concerned that I will be a mental train wreck without it. Especially once we do get pregnant, I'm sure that no matter how prepared I think I am there is going to be anxiety. Anyone with experience? I would love to see what you did, on or off of Zoloft and if you have any suggestions for dealing with the anxiety?

DS July 8th 2008 36+weeks
-No signs, no symptoms, Severe PE led to HELLP and eclampsia. My wonderful doctors saved my life based on a large weight gain between appointments!
-chronic hypertensive and PTSD, doing well on meds :)
07/11 - TTC :)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”