What is the difference between severe and mild pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What is the difference between severe and mild pre-e?

Postby libby123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 09:19 am

I had always thought my pre-e was mild, but now I am not so sure.

The highest my BP got was 190/120, however normally it was in the 150s/90s. The highest 24 hour urine protein count was 430. I was officially diagnosed with pre-e at 35 weeks and a few days, but my blood pressure had been creeping up since 26 weeks....

Just wondering if I would be considered mild or severe, and what are the definitions of mild and severe pre-e?
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.
libby123

Re: What is the difference between severe and mild pre-e?

Postby caryn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 01:11 pm

If you ask me all PE is severe. The difference between mild and severe is entirely a matter of research definitions; women have horrible outcomes with mild PE and excellent outcomes with severe PE. And rate of progression isn't really accounted for in these definitions, either.

"Mild" is two readings of either of 140/90 plus over 300 mg of proteinuria in a 24 hour catch.
"Severe" is one reading over either of 160/100 OR over 5000 mg of proteinuria in a 24 hour catch OR neurologic symptoms OR oliguria OR pulmonary edema OR any of a host of other signs of organ failure.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby riehlism » Tue Jul 19, 2011 07:26 pm

Some studies also say that any preeclampsia prior to 32 weeks is considered severe. My particular hospital also went with this guideline. I guess it depends on who you ask.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby z1ggy23 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 07:48 pm

interesting... I always thought of mine as "mild" but by both the previously given definitions I would have been severe...
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w
z1ggy23

Postby aajatwins » Tue Jul 19, 2011 08:52 pm

To make sure I understand that correctly - you only need ONE of those in the list of symptoms to be diagnosed with severe PE?

If yes, then would my BP of 150/105 at time of seizure make me severe PE AND eclampsia? or still just eclampsia?

why does it have to be so confusing?? :)
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby z1ggy23 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 08:54 pm

aajatwins wrote:To make sure I understand that correctly - you only need ONE of those in the list of symptoms to be diagnosed with severe PE?

If yes, then would my BP of 150/105 at time of seizure make me severe PE AND eclampsia? or still just eclampsia?

why does it have to be so confusing?? :)

If you had full blown Eclampsia, I don't think the PE designation is all that significant *hugs*
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w
z1ggy23

Postby caryn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:43 pm

These are research definitions only. Since you don't have a record of a proteinuria count pre-seizure, no one would include your data in a preeclampsia data set! But you were definitely a severe case for your docs to manage. One of our Experts always says "We treat patients, not diseases."
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby libby123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 04:43 pm

Hmmm...well my blood pressure pre pregnancy is in the 130s/80s, that is just what I run, so having an average BP of 150/90 isn't really THAT big a deal for me, and I only had 400 mg of protein in the urine, I also had no neurological symptoms or any other symptoms of organ failure, no upper gastic pain, no blood problems (they were constantly testing my blood).

So I guess I still see myself as mild, even though I had the severe blood pressure? Because someone who normally runs 90/60 is totally different from someone who runs 130/80 normally...if I had a blood pressure of 90/60 I would probably faint...
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.
libby123

Postby cmccaffrey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 04:52 pm

My doctors considered me to be severe because it was developed prior 32 weeks(starting showing signs at 24 weeks), I had readings higher than 160/100 (went as high as 175/125), extreme swelling (11lbs in 5 days), but I dod not have excess protein in urine, neurological problems or organ failure. Doe's IUGR and placental blood flow play any part in the diagnosis or is that a whole different mess of problems?
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby flori » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Christa, my peri told me that my IUGR (which included absent diastolic flow), protein, and earlier high bp readings classified me as severe. I questioned him about the whole diagnosis at my postpartum appt because I did not have swelling/weight gain, neurological problems, or high bp at delivery. It's funny what you choose to remember and conveniently forget.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced