Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What is your view on weight and preeclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What is your view on weight and preeclampsia?

Postby princesspurr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:54 am

I weigh about 25 pounds less when when I was pregnant and had preeclampsia but I would still like to loss another 40ish pounds before I start trying... BUT when i was 24, it took me two years to get pregnant... I will be 33 in March and if it takes that long again I will be 35 when I finally get pregnant which puts me at a new risk level LOL So I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons... should I try and try to loss weight well I am trying or keep not trying until I drop some weight... :-/ My blood pressure at my last doc appointment was 110/74, I'm not on blood pressure meds and have never had high blood pressure outside of the preeclampsia... choices choices
For those that do not know my history...
I get preeclampsia @24.5 weeks and had to have a c-section at 26.5 weeks
My daughter passed away two days later
Since then I got divorced and remarried... it will be 7 years since my last pregnancy in November soooo pretty much this should be real real interesting no matter which way I go.
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
princesspurr

Re: What is your view on weight and preeclampsia?

Postby mom29 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 02:38 pm

Are you going on the belief that being overweight contributes to pre-eclampsia? I'm not sure what the stats. are on that, but Caryn will know.

I weighed 95 pounds when I was 3 months pregnant with my first and got severe pre-eclampsia and delivered at 32 weeks.
mom29

Postby princesspurr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 02:42 pm

Wow you were TINY!! I don't personally think that being over weight contributes to PE but for some reason my doc does. I know being over weight can contribute to high blood pressure, but my blood pressure isn't high... I guess I just kinda sorta like to find a way to blame myself for what happened last time and so badly don't want it to happen again.
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
princesspurr

Postby christina89 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 06:34 pm

So sorry for your loss of your little girl I to had PE very early resulting in a 23 week delivery. My son passed shortly after. That was in June 2010. My husband and I went to see many Drs. 4 MFMs and a few OBs and Internists and only one of them believed weight could be a problem. I had abdominal surgery a few months after birth of my son and then 2 months after started trying for baby. So I was a little bit heavier. I could have been happy with losing 35 or 40 lbs. But we both wanted a baby so bad and because most of my Drs and research didnt show much on weight loss. We went ahead and started LDA extra folic acid, calcium, Vit D, reg pre natals. and Im now currently 33 weeks and 6 days. Im also taking Heparin and some bp meds as the moment I because pregant my bp shot up. My one Dr that wasnt happy with me for not loseing that little extra weight i didnt lose from my last pregnancy and from having surgery he got over it. Do what feels right in your heart. and ask about LDA and heparin or lavonex shots, I have no underlying disorders but im on it. and all the extra vits to.
christina89

Postby z1ggy23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 09:33 pm

I am over weight and had Pre-E w/ both... that being said I had relatively mild Pre-E w/ #1 and more severe with #2. I went into my second pregnancy 25lbs lighter than my first. My OB has never mentioned my weight as a contributing factor, even when I asked her straight out.

The only 2 other people I know IRL that had PE are both in the "healthy" weight range pre-pregnancy, as was the other PE patient that was in the antipardem ward at the same time I was.
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w
z1ggy23

Postby princess purr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 08:07 am

Thanks for the input! I think we are going to start trying in November regardless of what I weigh, and I will continue to exercise 5 times a week and just hope for the best... There are so many new variables that hopefully things are different enough to make it work. I know I will be monitored closely by the normal OBGYN plus have a perinatal doc.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby flori » Tue Aug 02, 2011 02:14 pm

I am also riding the weight dilemma train. I am about 4 1/2 months postpartum and have only lost around 15 or so pounds. My dh and I really wanted me to go into a subsequent pregnancy at a healthier weight (I weighed in at 207 during my 7 week ultrasound with Gracie) to help reduce drawing the pre-e/HELLP card. Unlike you I do have chronic hypertension, which is controlled with meds at the moment, but I would like to reduce the amount I'm taking or even completely quit before next baby. I feel like I am already healthier than I was then- I use our elliptical most days of the week for a minimum of 40 minutes and have been practicing portion control. Of course I have the occasional Twinkie, but hey.

Have you seen an MFM yet? I'm planning to see one in the next few weeks.

We are also thinking about trying later in the year or early next year. Good luck in your journey and here's to hoping we can be pregnancy buddies. :)
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby princess purr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 02:20 pm

I weigh about the same as you did, and I kinda wanted to be down to the 160s/170s before trying. That would be nice if we could both reach our goals at the same time!!!! During my first pregnancy I was 235 when I got pregnant, and maintained that weight until i started swelling and got up to 255, then when I left the hosp and lost the water, I was down to 224. I do great eating healthy until I start PMSing and then I want to eat everything and anything that is unhealthy. That is where my problem is right now. I was down to 188 a few years ago, so I know I can do... I just need to focus and do it!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby princess purr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 02:23 pm

I forgot the other part LOL I haven't seen an MFM... I say one after I delivered 7 years ago, and then said once I got pregnant they would start seeing me. When I went to my normal OBGYN last week, he said that once I got pregnant I would see an MFM and they gave me a ton of prenatal vitamins. The OBGYN made it sound like he didn't believe in extra vitamins or fish oil or anything... but I kow the MFM said that he would have me on baby asprin, extra vitamins ect. So I'm going to take the prenatals I guess, and then after I get pregnant see what the MFM says
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
princess purr

Postby angieb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 03:09 pm

I'm about 5'4 and went into my first pregnancy about 170 lbs, resulted in HELLP at 23 wks. My 2nd pregnancy I was about 195, 11 months after my first pregnancy ended, no pre-e, no hellp, no blood pressure issues, and my diet was about the same both pregnancies. (I was on lovenox and LDA though, the 2nd time around, and I did end up with mild gestational diabetes (sorta)). I had a pre-conception appointment with my mfm weighing about 195 and asked her how much weight she wanted me to lose before I got pregnant again, she told me it was ok if my weight stayed the same,as she didn't think it would make a difference.(That really didn't help me lose weight in the year we spent trying!) Anyway, I would work on it but not stress yourself out over it! Good luck!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced