What is your view on weight and preeclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re: What is your view on weight and preeclampsia?

Postby princess purr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 03:23 pm

I'm 5'4 to! When did you start the LDA and lovenox? I'm a little unhappy that my OBGYN doesn't feel I need to consult with an MFM until I get a +, but I guess it kind of makes sense because i consulting him with him years ago and he said he wouldn't need to see me again until I got pregnant... but still I wonder if there is something I should be taking other then prenatals... I'm think about maybe trying baby asprin, I just don't want to take anything that will do more harm them good!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby alexis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 04:48 pm

I think it's also worth remembering that overweight/obese women are more likely to have chronic hypertension and Type 2 diabetes, which both increase the risk of PE. I think the relationship between PE and weight, such as it is, is complicated and may not be related to weight itself but the complications of obesity.

I was about 25 lbs heavier when I got pregnant with #1 than #2 (obese by BMI both times). But, my underlying HTN was worse with #2, and that worries me more than the difference in weight.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm

My MFM had me start LDA after a + test and lovenox after we confirmed a heartbeat (supposed to be at 6 wks but the pharmacy didn't get it in until 7 wks.)

I really really like weight watchers for losing weight, I lost 30 lbs on it in 3 months before I got pregnant the first time.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby princess purr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 07:18 am

I used to do/like weight watchers, but the new plan was hard for me to follow. I felt like I was spending forever trying to figure out how many points things were. I have an app I downloaded on my phone that I just just scan the bar code on packages or look up stuff and it logs calories, fat etc. I was doing good on that and then this last week I'm not sure what happened.
I guess maybe when we get closer to trying I will start doing baby asprin and then when it is confirmed see what the docs want me to do.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby caryn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 07:30 pm

My instinct is to say that for some people it might be relevant, but those people are likely mild, late-onset, and obese BMI. (Totally a guess on my part.) We've any number of posters who are marathon runners/ in the military/ lost weight and got it *worse* the next time. That said, losing weight is one of the handful of things anyone has any control over at all, there are preliminary studies that have found a dose-response relationship between weight and PE - the more you weigh, the higher your risk - and there are some bigger studies showing a slight effect of weight loss between pregnancies.

Here's a link to discussion of the effects of bariatric surgery and here's a link to discussion of the effects of weight loss between pregnancies.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby princess purr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 06:31 am

Thanks for the links to the posts!! The jokers in the deck of cards makes the odds a lot easier to understand... of course it also makes me think that my deck is either almost totally jokers OR very few depending on how someone wants to view the over 7 years, new partner, no underlying problems/normal blood pressure history. I explained it to the hubby and he understands better now the risks I am talking about. So, I guess to be on the safer side, and it is healthier anyway.. I will keep trying to drop a few pounds and hopefully that will take a couple jokers out.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
princess purr

Postby jean » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 am

This whole thing makes it kind of scary when you ARE pg again. B/c you want to gain weight (sure, not excessively, but some) while pg..yet you don't want to gain too much to raise your risks of pe-hellp. *sigh* I've gained some more than I'd like thus far this pg. (but no more than the doctor has recommended or anything)
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Postby princess purr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:48 am

I think everything about being preggers is scary when you know what we know! Good luck this time around!!!
My last pregnancy I gained no weight until I started swelling, doc said it was okay as long as I was eating a healthy diet and not losing weight. I kinda sorta in my heart feel like my weight had nothing to do with it because my blood pressure went right back down after and has remained stable since. But I will do whatever I can to lower the chances, and just to give myself so piece of mind that it wasn't my weight.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
princess purr

Postby caryn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 03:04 pm

Like I said, Jean, there's no evidence that restricting weight gain in pregnancy lowers preeclampsia risk! So gain at the rate you're gaining, and don't worry about it - I am really expecting further research to show that what those studies have been picking up is the rapid weight gain caused by the leaky blood vessels in preeclampsia leading to swelling. In other words it's picking up the fact that women who are going to develop preeclampsia are already heading down that road.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby z1ggy23 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 03:05 pm

If restricting weight gain were a magic fix, I wouldn't be here. I have lost WEIGHT w/ EVERY pregnancy (including this one).
Last edited by z1ggy23 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 06:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w
z1ggy23

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced