In Hospital and Frusterated with Dr's

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
nicoles

Re: In Hospital and Frusterated with Dr's

Postby nicoles » Mon Mar 27, 639256 6:07 am

Hi Trish,

No plan yet... Still waiting.. The new oncall dr. hasn't come to see me yet.. I did do another 24hr urine, it was just turned into the lab - so we will see what that says!! Other than that I guess I sit and wait with the high pressures! Thanks for checking in on me!
Nicole 31
DH 34
DD1 - 6/20/08 Stillborn 22 weeks (unknown reason)
DD2 4/20/09 - 37 weeks 4lbs 15oz (Pre-E)
Due with DD3 9-11-11 - Diagnosed and hospitalized with Mild-Pre

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Mar 27, 639256 2:38 am

Just checking in to see if they've told you what the plan is. Those BP's sound super scary & I hope your Dr. gets on top of things ASAP. Please update when you can - I'm worried about you!! (((HUGS)))
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sun Mar 26, 639256 9:32 pm

So you can understand my frusteration as well... At this point "what is the right thing to do" Thats my question..

Sounds like your dealing with some idiots as well....

I'm curious to see what the next on call dr. says here!!
Nicole 31
DH 34

nov_mum

Postby nov_mum » Sun Mar 26, 639256 6:32 pm

I think it is really frustrating when you get told one thing and then another happens. My last pregnancy I was told it was too risky to keep baby in and that I would be induced, change of shift and another dr was on. Then it got cancelled as they were busy and had a full morning the next day of sections. I was annoyed as either I am risky enough they needed to induce or not and their elective section list shouldn't be a factor in my clinical picture. I was induced 5 days later. Nothing had changed i.e protein same level, BP still at 150/100 unmedicated. It just seems the whim of the Dr. That made me lose a lot of trust that they know what they are doing and make sound clinical judgments. I was very keen to have a home birth this time around but my BP is dictating that is not the best option now. I just found the whole Dr/hospital thing a concern and more stress.

This time around I had an OB appointment, heachaches really bad and having to take codeine for them daily, BP in 150/90's on meds. My MW, my husband and friend (who are nurses) took it and I was in the 150/90 and having visual disturbances. The Med student got the same. The OB grabbed a thigh cuff (I am not a huge person) and whiel the cuff was falling off my arm she said she got 120/80 so I could take more meds 'if I wanted'. So now I am the one calling the shots??? Because I am a trained OB right?? Useless!!!I told her I just wanted my BP under control, less head aches and a safe baby. I cancelled future appointments with her as it was a waste of my time. I am seeing her next week though and if it goes the same way, I am asking for a change of Dr.

I know with my first they watched and waited until my change in condition forced their hand but I was 34 weeks going on 35 and I guess there were some serious risks to be weighed up. They said they wouldn't induce on protein levels. We have a different scale here for proteinuria but over 18 is not healthy, over 30 in pregnancy is diagnostic, I had 90 on admission and I was in the 600's by the time I was induced.

I hope you and bubs are safe. It's so frustrating

nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sun Mar 26, 639256 10:02 am

I'm still here, pregnant with the high bp's and proteinura - the dr. who was here with my practice said he didn't feel comforatable delivery me unless my bloodwork went bad... TOtally contradcits what the Dr. on Monday said.. I'm a serious mess.. No more babies for me!
Nicole 31
DH 34

grantk

Postby grantk » Wed Mar 15, 639256 9:30 pm

Nurse managers can usually whip things into shape... but yeah sounds like this nurse is an idiot. From what I remember when I was in the hospital last time, I was on the L&D floor so the nurse to patient ratio was 1:2 or 1:1, so we got good attention. Maybe that is part of the problem, sounds like you need a nurse with less patients to tend to!

brandib

Postby brandib » Wed Mar 15, 639256 3:14 pm

OH wow!!!! When you told her you had a hedache she didnt' start checking your reflexes and giving you the drill????? I'm glad your husband got there!! And what in the world does mag and csection have to do with anyting? I had a cestion and was on mag 2 days......I really hope the Dr gets there. Demand an attending come!! Pressures like that they have to give you some iv bp meds to bring that down!

nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 15, 639256 10:05 am

So my husband got here and was fuming, went to the nurses desk and asked that we speak to the Director of Nurses, i asked to talk to her hhours ago but she was in a section..

She came in took my bp 2x - and high..

She went to talk with my dr. and is coming back...
Nicole 31
DH 34

christina89

Postby christina89 » Wed Mar 15, 639256 7:35 am

Wow! I can't beleive you have been having numbers like that and they aren't doing anything about it yet! When my numbers got that high my last pregnancy I was put on mag ASAP. As awful as it is. it helps. I would be pushing that help button a million times and demand to see your Dr. and ask about. What were your numbers when they admitted you. Im only 2 days behind you and I have been having pressures around 150 over 90 ish and headaches and protien and I see my MFM on Tuesday and if its still this way he will deliver. I dont understand why they havent done that for you yet. I hope they do something soon for you! Keep us posted I hope everything goes well for you and baby! Ill be thinking about you!

nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 15, 639256 7:33 am

i just called the nurse, she's like i'm assisting a baby, dr johnson said to check your bp every 2hrs and your due in 15mins....]]

I highly doubt she told him those last 2 readings...
Nicole 31
DH 34

Return to “Ask the Experienced”