Woke up with pitting edema...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
z1ggy23

Re: Woke up with pitting edema...

Postby z1ggy23 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 07:26 am

Thanks, guys. My husband says he's sick of screwing around. We're going to take our son to school in a few minutes, and then he's taking me straight to Labor & Delivery.
Good luck! Keep us posted (FWIW, I think that is an excellent plan!)
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 06:15 am

Thanks, guys. My husband says he's sick of screwing around. We're going to take our son to school in a few minutes, and then he's taking me straight to Labor & Delivery.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

z1ggy23

Postby z1ggy23 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 00:13 am

my protein more than doubled in the space of 48 hours last time...
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 08:11 pm

My head has been killing me all afternoon. My pressures have never hit the 160/110 mark, but I did get two readings of 155/105 (one at noon, one after dinner). When I was sitting on the couch with my son, I started seeing floaters. It freaked me out, and I finally called the doctor. It was the same jerk face that I saw on Thursday. He asks what my pressures were in the office, and I told him, and he was like, "No way they were over 140/90 or we wouldn't have let you go."

Well, they WERE, and he DID. I told him that. He was like, "What doctor did you see?" And I said, "YOU!"

He told me to take two tylenol and call the office tomorrow. Since my 24hr urine was 260 on Thursday, he said there's no way anything else could be happening so quickly. I have no idea what my bloodwork from last Monday showed, but he said it's too fast for anything to have happened in the last few days.

Is that true? Do you guys know? My husband says we'll just sleep on it and call in the morning. Even if I drive to labor-and-delivery, this is the guy who's going to be there, so I won't get any additional attention. I told my husband that if he wants me to be seen tonight, we're going to have to go to the other local hospital, because this guy isn't going to give me the time of day.

What should I do?
Honestly if it were me I would head to L&D. (at whichever hospital had the higher level NICU, regardless of doctor). It isn't so much the high pressures- though of course those are always worrisome- but the fact you are reporting a new symptom, a severe headache, concerns me. Head pain (and brisk reflexes or clonus) can be a sign of cerebral edema and can be a precursor to eclampsia.

As far as things happening quickly, I myself went from a slighty high blood pressure and negative urine dip to severe preeclampsia the next day, narrowly avoiding an emergency c-section. So in my personal experience things can definitely escalate quickly.

Best case, they check your pressures, urine, reflexes and everything is fine. Worst case you are in the safest place if you do have preeclampsia. And even a jerk should know how to check your vitals.

Good luck, please keep us posted as you are able.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

susheli

Postby susheli » Mon Sep 05, 2011 07:53 pm

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. IMO pressures of 155/105 are too high and I'd go to the hospital. Do you think if you went to see this same doctor and he got those figures, he'd send you home? Please let us know how you are,
Sus

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Mon Sep 05, 2011 05:44 pm

My head has been killing me all afternoon. My pressures have never hit the 160/110 mark, but I did get two readings of 155/105 (one at noon, one after dinner). When I was sitting on the couch with my son, I started seeing floaters. It freaked me out, and I finally called the doctor. It was the same jerk face that I saw on Thursday. He asks what my pressures were in the office, and I told him, and he was like, "No way they were over 140/90 or we wouldn't have let you go."

Well, they WERE, and he DID. I told him that. He was like, "What doctor did you see?" And I said, "YOU!"

He told me to take two tylenol and call the office tomorrow. Since my 24hr urine was 260 on Thursday, he said there's no way anything else could be happening so quickly. I have no idea what my bloodwork from last Monday showed, but he said it's too fast for anything to have happened in the last few days.

Is that true? Do you guys know? My husband says we'll just sleep on it and call in the morning. Even if I drive to labor-and-delivery, this is the guy who's going to be there, so I won't get any additional attention. I told my husband that if he wants me to be seen tonight, we're going to have to go to the other local hospital, because this guy isn't going to give me the time of day.

What should I do?
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Sun Sep 04, 2011 05:34 pm

My BP is holding steady at 150/100. My doc said to call if I hit 160/110, so I'm okay. Last night I had terrible braxton hicks contractions for HOURS. Finally went away around 10pm -- and then of course I was too anxious to sleep. I'm looking forward to my doctor's appointment on Wednesday, just so I can talk to the doc and get a new course of action.
Brigid Kemmerer

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 00:02 am

I'm *so* glad you got some sleep. I've heard about the sleep eating thing too but I wonder how common it really is vs how much we hear about it just because it's so weird!

Is your bp holding steady? How are your other symptoms?
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Sat Sep 03, 2011 06:14 am

Well, the Ambien definitely knocked me flat. I barely feel awake now, and I slept for almost 10 hours. I was a little worried after people kept telling me that the most common side effect was eating in the middle of the night (without being aware of it), so I told my husband to watch out for me getting out of bed. Some of the stories were hilarious, like people ripping open a loaf of bread and standing in the middle of the kitchen to eat the whole thing -- and not remembering any of it the next day. One woman said she made weird sandwiches and left all the condiments all over the counter, and she'd wake up with a plate of crumbs in bed the next morning. BIZARRE.

But I didn't have any of that. I was so out of it last night. My husband and I were sitting on the couch and I was reading a book, and I looked up and said, "Could you go check on Nick?" (Our four-year-old, who was playing upstairs.) He gave me a funny look and said, "Hon, I was just up there. Don't you remember me leaving?"

No, I didn't.

So the lack-of-sleep was definitely getting to me.

Anyway. I'll ramble forever. My blood pressure this morning, just now, before getting out of bed, was 138 / 92.
Brigid Kemmerer

blythe

Postby blythe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 07:51 pm

N=1 is kind of shorthand for 'your mileage may vary'. I was fine taking ambien, but that's not at all scientific! The number of people in my 'study' equals one :).

I'll definitely defer to your RN mother, but if you're nervous check back with your doc. At this point I'm just hoping you can get some sleep.

How is your bp today?
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

Return to “Ask the Experienced”