Woke up with pitting edema...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brigidmary

Re: Woke up with pitting edema...

Postby brigidmary » Fri Sep 02, 2011 04:49 pm

What do you mean, you're an N=1?

I'm very nervous about taking the Ambien. I hate taking medication. I'm worried that it will get me amped up and that I won't be able to sleep again.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

blythe

Postby blythe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:00 am

Yay! I'm so glad your doctor gave you a clear diagnosis and treatment plan. Could you ask her her opinion on the HYPITAT study and how it applies or doesn't apply in your case? To me it's pretty definitive, but I'm no doc :).

I don't know about anxiety and ambien, I know they gave me ambien in the hospital a couple times and I took it, but I'm an N=1 :) .
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Fri Sep 02, 2011 09:25 am

I spoke with the good doc this morning. She's awesome.

She said I definitely have PIH at this point. I already have a scheduled C-Section for 9/23, so she's going to leave that date on the books, though she suspects we'll be delivering earlier. Since my mom is an RN, my doctor's comfortable with my mom taking my pressure twice daily, but I'm to go to L&D with any pressures over 160/110. She said the anxiety/insomnia could be nerves about the preeclampsia, or it could be mental changes, but because my protein isn't over 300 and my pressures aren't over 160/110, she doesn't want to do anything drastic at this point.

So basically we're back in a holding pattern. She wants to see me on Wednesday of next week for another NST, BP check, etc. (if nothing happens beforehand). She also wrote me a scrip for Ambien, though she warned me that she's only giving me five pills, and she does NOT want me taking them every day. My mom told me that Ambien can ramp up anxiety, so hopefully it doesn't do that for me. Have you guys had any experience with that?
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Fri Sep 02, 2011 07:22 am

Thanks for the middle-of-the-night support, guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm waiting for the doctor's office to open at 8:30 so I can call and get a status.
Brigid Kemmerer

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 00:28 am

Yeah, it can be. It moves pretty fast, when it starts moving, and some women spill protein later and get neurological symptoms earlier ( aka "kidneys of steel"). We've got a few posters who went straight to eclampsia and skipped the preeclampsia part of the diagnosis.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

blythe

Postby blythe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 00:27 am

In my first pregnancy I was spilling just under diagnostic amounts of protein and pressures like yours and fewer symptoms and my doc had me on hospital bedrest the week before I delivered. You might be fine if you stay home and let hubby sleep, but I know *I'd* feel better if you were sleeping in the hospital tonight :) . Can you at least call L&D and have them make the call whether to bring you in or not?
Heather, mom to

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Fri Sep 02, 2011 00:22 am

I just took my pressure. It was 147/107. It's almost 1:30 in the morning. My husband will kill me if I wake him up to take me to the hospital.

I'm so miserable. I don't know what to do. Can it be preeclampsia with my protein not even being above 300?
Brigid Kemmerer

blythe

Postby blythe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 00:21 am

Gah. We're not docs and we have to trust that your docs know better than us, but gah what you're reporting is making me nervous. Please just keep telling your doctors and L&D your symptoms and concerns and hang in there. Are you being seen tomorrow by the doc you like? I forget, have you had an MFM consult? In your shoes I'd ask what their criteria for delivery is at this point - what bps, labs, or symptoms they need to decide baby is better out than in. Hang in there.
Heather, mom to

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 00:20 am

It's anxiety triggered by the preeclampsia, more like. :(

I hear you - I did not sleep for the entire week I was in the hospital and my brain was on hyper. I do not think this is commonly understood as a symptom, but I'm convinced it is. We do know that the placenta is directly mucking around with a whole bunch of neurotransmitters, because they are also vasoregulators and affect your pressures.

How are your pressures? One reading of either of 160/100-110 is enough to call it severe gestational hypertension...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Fri Sep 02, 2011 00:01 am

I just wish I could get some sleep. I've been up all night, every night, for like a week. The doctor just said it's anxiety about the preeclampsia. I took a benadryl tonight, and nothing. I'm exhausted. And frustrated. And barely able to think straight.
Brigid Kemmerer

Return to “Ask the Experienced”