Woke up with pitting edema...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Woke up with pitting edema...

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 08:43 am

You know I'm going to say this: call!

Have you seen the HYPITAT trial abstract? 'Cause it's all about you. At 37 weeks women with gestational hypertension or mild preeclampsia do much better with delivery than with expectant management. Got a bag packed?

I know lots of writers and grant writers and academics on this site are sympathetic to the deadline, but really, late pregnancy is just like this. Last time you or your partner probably called people on admission and said, um, yeah, not going to be doing that - we certainly did. At almost 37 weeks the odds of a NICU stay are much lower than at 34 weeks, so that, at least, is in your favor. :D

Also, the not-sleeping thing can be an indication that hyperreflexia is starting to kick in. I felt so hypercompetent, and I wasn't sleeping, and it was the placenta jacking my cortisol levels and such. When it wore off I really noticed.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Tue Aug 30, 2011 06:39 am

This website is so awesome. You guys saved my life the first time around, and you're probably going to do it again.

I didn't call the doctor with the pitting edema last week. I just kept tracking my BP every day.

Well, yesterday, I had my regular OB checkup, and my BP was 146/102. My protein was 1+, when, for the entire duration of the pregnancy, it's always been nothing. What with the appearance of the swelling last week, she immediately sent me to the hospital.

My BP's in the hospital were all over the place. I had a 150/92, but I also had a 128/79. They sent me home to do another 24 hour urine. At 20 weeks, my 24 hour urine was 165. Two weeks ago they did another one, and my urine was 260. So I'm doing another one today to see what happens. They did blood work at the hospital last night, but I have no idea what it showed. The doctor said, "It looks ... okay. There's definitely something brewing here."

She told me to track my BP three times a day, and to call if it's over 140/90. Of course the first BP I took this morning was 141/92. I'm not going to call ... yet. I mean, the only other option is to put me in the hospital and do the 24 hour urine there, right?

Personally, I really wish I could get a good night's sleep. I think that would help more than anything. I'm terrified of having another delivery like the last one, with an emergency C-section and the NICU stay and all, and when my husband falls asleep, I just wander around the house wishing I could go to sleep.

Right now my hands are so swollen that it hurts to type. Actually, my right hand is all tingly. Since I'm a writer on a deadline, this doesn't bode well for my professional life. :-)

Thanks for everything, guys.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 02:03 pm

Hi brigidmary, just wondering if you talked to the doc? How are you feeling today?

Hope everything checked out ok, please keep us posted as you are able.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 am

Why not call and ask your healthcare provider? And see if they want you to come in for a BP check/urine dip.

I tend not to trust the machines at the pharmacy since you don't know the last time they were checked or calibrated. During my second pregnancy I bought a home BP monitor and its readings were always consistent with the readings I was getting at the doctor's office.

Even if your proteinura wasn't diagnostic a week ago @ 260 mg, it was still higher than normal. So you could either be one of those ladies that spill a little protein even when not pregnant or you could be headed for preeclampsia again. Either way, better to run any change in symptoms by your health care provider.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

brigidmary

Woke up with pitting edema...

Postby brigidmary » Thu Aug 25, 2011 07:35 am

I had my first son with an emergency C-section at 34 weeks due to severe PE, so I've been playing it very safe this time around.

I'll be 36 weeks pregnant tomorrow. For about two weeks, my BP has been holding steady at about 135/85, so they've been watching it carefully. At an office visit last week, they got 138/98, so they sent me home to do a 24hr urine. It came back with 260, so they're not worried. I haven't had any swelling or visual changes.

Well, this morning I got to work, went to the restroom, and according to the full length mirror in there, my ankles have blown up like balloons. If I press on them, there's *definitely* pitting edema. Still nothing in my hands that I can see, but I noticed since I woke up that my hands feel very stiff. I have no idea what my current BP is. Should I go over to the pharmacy and check it on their machine? Should I wait another day? I don't feel poorly, but the swelling in my ankles and feet is definitely sudden.

I feel like I should just wait and see how everything looks tomorrow, since I don't feel bad. What do you guys think? I don't want to ignore something that could be serious.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

Return to “Ask the Experienced”