Does lasting longer in subseq. pg always =better outcome?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jean

Re: Does lasting longer in subseq. pg always =better outcome

Postby jean » Sat Sep 10, 2011 02:36 pm

Brigidmary-thank goodness you went in when you weren't feeling well! And congrats on the great outcome!
Yeah, I suppose there are always acceptions to the rule...I guess rather than use the term "always" I should say usually or almost always...
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:46 am

My first baby was delivered via emergency C-section at 34 weeks. It was terrible and traumatic and sucked all around -- except for the amazing baby boy I got to take home at the end of it. :-)

My second pregnancy, the doctors were very cautious, so I was very cautious. They did extra labs and extra blood work and watched everything closely. When I went into L&D last Tuesday with a headache, my pressures weren't awful, and I felt like an idiot for coming in. But then they did blood work anyway, just to be sure, given my history, and found my platelets were dropping like a rock. So they delivered on Tuesday, and probably prevented HELLP syndrome from setting in, since my platelets kept dropping for two days after delivery. I'm fine now, and so is baby Sam. And this pregnancy made it to 37 weeks!

I would never say "always," because there can always be complications. But I do think that second pregnancies have greater monitoring by the doctors, and even you yourself will be more aware of what to watch out for.

Good luck!!
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

z1ggy23

Postby z1ggy23 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 08:14 pm

In general the longer you can last, the better the outcome. That, however, assumes that you don't wait too long, and that you and your Dr are on top of your symptoms and treatment.

There is nothing about these situations that would even temp me to use the term "Always", however.
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w

nov_mum

Postby nov_mum » Fri Sep 09, 2011 04:48 pm

In my case, yes lasting longer has a better outcome for all concerned. I got to 38 weeks last pregnancy before induction and I am 36 weeks tomorrow with this pregnancy. My first I got to 34 before being hospitalised and induced at 35. My outcomes were all ok really as my babies were all well thank goodness and I just weaned off meds over the following months but my protein deteriorated badly in my first and was very slow and mild in my second and so far my third. I think knowing the risks and symptoms helps. The first time your are not aware and it hits! You don't know what is normal and what is illness. The second time around I think your body copes better. I don't think it should make anyone complacent but every milestone is worth celebrating in a PE pregnancy or not : )

I'm sure someone will have some stats to back it up but I think the placenta is better wired, the body is less likely to react as strongly and you are more aware so outcomes are improved.

jean

Does lasting longer in subseq. pg always =better outcome?

Postby jean » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 am

If you last longer in a subsequent pregnancy, and catch the symptoms right away, does that always (or almost always) guarantee a better outcome (for the mother anyway?) Or have there been cases out there where the mother lasted longer before getting sick, but then got way sicker than before and didn't pull through?

If I get past the point of when I was sick before I would tend to feel the urge to celebrate...but maybe that would be premature?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

Return to “Ask the Experienced”