hmmm I just don't feel good.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
steffthomas

Re: hmmm I just don't feel good.

Postby steffthomas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:53 am

So what I'm wondering...ok at 34 weeks (today!) I feel pretty confident that peanut would be ok if there was an issue. HOWEVER, that being said, I know that a lot of times actual diagnosed pre eclampsia has a time span of like 2 weeks before delivery. Is there any time span that I would have these labile pressures before it would turn into full blown pre eclampsia, if it was going to? (If that makes sense!) I wish I knew some kind of time line, because I KNOW my body..or maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel like I will probably end up with it, hopefully in a much more mild form, or perhaps it was the labile pressures putting this into my head, not sure!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 09:56 am

Labile pressures are a sign that your body's "decompensating", which basically means that most of the time your body is able to handle the strain of pregnancy, but then something in the balance shifts and things go haywire. We see a lot of posters here who have swings in their numbers before their pressures go up and stay up.

The current understanding of this syndrome says that the placenta runs short of oxygen towards the end of pregnancy, mostly because the baby outstrips the ability of that particular placenta to supply it with blood. One thing it does to get more blood to the baby is inject chemicals into your bloodstream that raise your pressures, which forces more blood into the placenta with each heartbeat. Bedrest is supposed to get your weight off of the main artery that supplies the uterus, which seems to work for some women, unpredictably -- there's no support for bedrest as a treatment in clinical studies.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Sep 15, 2011 08:59 pm

SUCH good news! Thanks for letting us know!

I'll find some old links / explanations about labile bps in the next day or so, but I'll bet someone else can beat me to it in the meantime!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

steffthomas

Postby steffthomas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:26 am

No worries! Went to L&D, had BP monitored, one reading that Dr. didn't really love (134/90) but then slowly crept down (118/78 at the last reading) ran pre-e panel--all was good. Did a U/A-All good. Sent home on a 24 hr urine, and I will see her again next week. HOWEVER, I did wake up this morning with a horrible cold! Blah! It it's not one thing--it's another! Also, dr. said I seem to have labile BP's (which I don't really understand much about!) and to take it easy. No bedrest or anything quite yet and she's optimistic that I will make at least 37 weeks, but she's going to start doing weekly lab draws, etc!
Thanks ladies!

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Our experts call late-trimester nausea an "unappreciated symptom" and say it is sometimes related to brewing HELLP. I know it could just as easily be that you're just sick, but I'd really feel better if you talked to your doc. Did they ever get back to you? Could you ask if running labs would be appropriate considering your symptoms?
Heather, mom to

z1ggy23

Postby z1ggy23 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 07:05 pm

Ok guys just called the doc. I thought I felt better yesterday after the EFW finding out peanut IS growing..but I really don't. I KNOW that pre-e is starting to rear it's ugly head again and I'm not appreciating it! However..the doc was out of the office (she's actually in a c-section right now and on call) I'm waiting for a call from the hospital to see if I should go in to check everything. I don't feel good. Nauseous, achy, a few misc. spots in the vision now, BP about an hour ago was 138/93. We'll be 34 weeks on Friday. First baby was born at 32, so I feel optimistic, just not willing to take any chances...
any update?
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w

steffthomas

Postby steffthomas » Wed Sep 14, 2011 03:03 pm

Ok guys just called the doc. I thought I felt better yesterday after the EFW finding out peanut IS growing..but I really don't. I KNOW that pre-e is starting to rear it's ugly head again and I'm not appreciating it! However..the doc was out of the office (she's actually in a c-section right now and on call) I'm waiting for a call from the hospital to see if I should go in to check everything. I don't feel good. Nauseous, achy, a few misc. spots in the vision now, BP about an hour ago was 138/93. We'll be 34 weeks on Friday. First baby was born at 32, so I feel optimistic, just not willing to take any chances...

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:45 am

My default is to always call. The worst they can say is that they'll just see you tomorrow. "Feelings of doom" is one of those non-specific symptoms, but I kind of wonder if it's one of those things that remind you and your doc to take you seriously. Maybe something is brewing, maybe it isn't, but I really like the medical folks to make that call. Let us know what they say!
Heather, mom to

steffthomas

Postby steffthomas » Tue Sep 13, 2011 06:10 am

My last labs were run last Monday--all checked out! ugh I don't know! Maybe a call to the doc?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 07:49 pm

I really don't like feelings of impending doom; docs take those pretty seriously if they are experienced. Some immune responses show up first with that sensation. Not to scare you (hah!)

When was the last time someone ran labs?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

Return to “Ask the Experienced”