Is there a TIA/PE connection along with b12

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re: Is there a TIA/PE connection along with b12

Postby blythe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 06:59 pm

You at least sound in slightly better spirits :). I get terrible frustrated when my docs don't agree, sorry to hear you're juggling such conflicting opinions and treatment plans! Maybe someone else has some suggestions how to get your docs communicating and more on the same page. Thinking of you!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

chubbiesmom

Postby chubbiesmom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 04:07 pm

My day just gets better and better lol. I had my appointment with the neurologist today. He said he doesn't agree with the b12 deficiency or low thyroid diagnosis that the mfm came up with. He said he wasn't exactly sure what was going on. He didn't want to do anymore tests as of yet such as an esphogeal (sp?) echocardiogram or a lack of sleep sudy(can't remember the clinical name) where I would stay up for 24 hours then they would try to induce seizures. Sounds like too much fun to me. The mfm said to go the the hospital with any neurological issues lasting more then 5 minutes. He told me since I seem to be bouncing back from these episodes without many problems, that just stay home and wait it out. He also said if it ends up being a true stroke instead of a tia/ ministoke, then there was nothing they could do for me at the hospital anyways since pregnancy is a contraindication(?) for any stroke treatments. So I guess I chance it and stay home and possibly die. Great doctor!!! I"m beyond frustrated!!! Can all my doctors please get on the same page, so I know what to do.

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 01:08 pm

That attitude would really scare me. Yes, a little protein can be normal... A trace or a 1+, especially if it's concentrated (remember, the dipstick measures concentration). A 2+ needs to be followed up. I'm glad your MFM's nurse wants to do one, but I am concerned about your OB's attitude. A doctor should never patronize a patient or tell them "it's all in your head."
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

chubbiesmom

Postby chubbiesmom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:18 am

I had an appt at the ob office with a new doctor. I always dip my urine before they do. I have learned they don't always like to share all the info. I dipped a +2. My bp wasn't too bad 130/85. My 24hr I did on the 17th was 68, which is awesome. The doctor said everything looks great. I said, how do you come to that conclusion. I said I have protein this week and haven't had any before. He said it's normal to have protein on the dip stick especially since my 24hr was good last week. Then i began to tell him about some of my new problems such as the pain in the abdomin and kidney area, low urine ouput, and how I'm having issues remembering where i'm at when it's a totally familiar place. His statement to me was, you have a lot on your plate. We can't find anyother reasons why you are feeling the way you are. It's your imagination and is all in your head. I grabbed my purse and flew out of there. I was so upset. I sat in the parking lot and sobbed for literally 1 1/2 hrs. I called the mfm and her nurse wanted to do a follow up 24hr with a dip that high. I also see the nuerologist today, but am really feeling discouraged.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 09:47 am

Did you get your results back?

I know your last pregnancy was rocky, and your body just doesn't seem to tolerate placentas well. Spikes in bp like that are just dangerous. :( I'm sorry not to have useful suggestions for you; I'm wondering if you and your MFM have made a plan for how to proceed here. With a mother who's stroking I'd expect them to want to deliver fairly early and have the baby run the risks of prematurity, and working out which set of symptoms mean now is time to deliver would be very hard indeed.

Please keep us posted as you're able.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Welcome back and congratulations on your new pregnancy! I'm so sorry to hear you're having such severe problems, though - mini strokes sound really scary! I'm glad you have an MFM and neurologist on board, and I hope you find that bp cuff asap. I wish I had good stories or information to share but I'm at a loss. In your shoes I would ask if it would be possible / appropriate to stay in the hospital. I have no idea if that's at all warranted but that's what *I* would want. When do you see your doc / MFM / neurologist next? Can you call sooner and remind them about your oliguria and edema and neurological issues?
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

chubbiesmom

Is there a TIA/PE connection along with b12

Postby chubbiesmom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 05:17 pm

Hi Everyone!!

I'm back expecting another baby january 25, 2012 :) I have always been pretty healthy with low blood pressure, good cholesterol, and blood sugars. August 17th I had a mini stroke(tia) at 17 weeks pregnant. While sitting on the couch it felt as though someone had mushed the left side of my face down. When I then got up to walk I had terrible weakness in my left leg causing an extreme limp. Not knowing who to call, I called my Ob. They looked at me and gave me a card to a neurologist. I immediately called them, and they sent me to the ER. They could find no cause for it. They admitted me and found my b/p was low 94/49 and not high. So after 2 days and no checking on the well-being of my baby they sent me home. 8 days later I had an almost exact episode but decided since they couldn't find a cause that I would stay home and wait it out. 5 days after that I had another epidsode that was like the other 2 minus facial numbness, and I decided I would go to a different hospital this time because I just couldn't function like this anymore. I was seen less then an hour after the onset of symstem and my bp this time was 179/106. They admitted me and my bp came down i think mainly because all my pressures were done in a laying down position because i developed a terrible headache once admitted. All of these episodes were preceeded by long spurts of yawning.

I have had 2 more incidents in the last 2 weeks. The MFM found that my b12 was low and so was my thyroid. All missed by many doctors. My bp is now starting to creep up from the 100's/60's to 140's/80's. i did a 24 hr urine last week and won't know my results until tomorrow. I'm really getting nervous because i'm only 22 weeks, neurologically i'm a mess. I have lost short term memory, have bouts where i'm out and have no clue where I am. I feel as if I was popped into a car or a store. It's that bizarre. I'm not having improvements with the b12 shots. My urine output is usually way less then 800ml a day no matter how much I drink. Today I started to get pitting edema. I have no clue where I put my bp cuff either agghh. I know i wrote a bunch, but you girls are super smart and thought maybe someone could give me some input. Sorry if things aren't real organized. I'm having a hard time with finding the correct words to use. A

Return to “Ask the Experienced”