New with ?s

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
MsHollywood

Re: New with ?s

Postby MsHollywood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am

Thank you ladies for the warm welcome & the input!

My doctor did not order another 24-hour urine at the time of the dipstick. At that appointment she said she'd order a new one in 6-8 weeks.

Since my hospital visit a few days ago, I've mostly been feeling alright. I've had a few small episodes but nothing like the 5 hour one that started this all! I have been on modified bed rest though. I have a follow up appointment with my OB on Tuesday so I'm not sure what she'll do then.

Truth be told, I wasn't aware of my #s until my hospital visit. At the office visit where I was +1 she told me I had some protein in my urine and she said nothing to me on Monday when I was +3 so I had ASSumed that there wasn't any this time. The hospital gave me a copy of my chart to take from L&D to the ER and it had my office chart in there too. I took a sneak peak in it & that's when I seen the numbers. I do plan to ask her on Tuesday about them now that I know what they are.

Thank you again for your help!

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Hello, Holly! Sorry you've had such a rough time recently!

I'm assuming you've seen this already, but just in case, here is a link to our signs and symptoms http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... d-symptoms

Preeclampsia is diagnosed with two readings taken at least six hours apart of 140/90 or greater and 300mg protein in a 24-hour urine collection. An old criteria was a rise in bp of 30/15, but even though that's not officially diagnostic anymore our experts still agree that it warrants close observation. The dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate, especially at the +1 level, but the +3 makes not-a-doc me a little nervous. I second Rosemary's suggestion about asking for a 24-hour urine, and possibly a referral to a nephrologist if they are sure that the protein is not due to preeclampsia.

I'm not sure if we've covered your questions, keep asking and we'll do our best to share our thoughts!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi & welcome Holly!

I am glad that you are keeping close tabs on yourself especially with your past history with PE. Did your doctor order another 24 hour after getting the +3 on the dipstick? One bit of information that I want to ensure that you are aware of, PE can happen as early as 20 weeks. While it's not incredibly common, it is possible. I encourage you to call your doctor or go to L&D if you aren't feeling well. You know your body best, so please trust your instincts.

Take care!
Rosemary - 47 - Central, PA
Momma to Kayleigh 8/25/88 - 36 weeks
Elliott 8/29/04 - lost at 20 weeks due to severe PE/HELLP
Proud Grandma to Max Allen 10/19/10.

MsHollywood

New with ?s

Postby MsHollywood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 am

Hello ladies! My name is Holly & I'm new here. I'm 20w3d pregnant with baby girl #2! Baby girl #1 was delivered at 37.5 weeks due to pre-e. I'm terrified to get it again. So, here is my current story/questions:

At 16 weeks I had a +1 protein on my u/a dipstick in the OBs office.
16 weeks I had a 161 on the 24 hour urine test

Yesterday, at 21 weeks I had a +3 on my u/a dipstick in the office.

Over the past weekend I had a pretty severe headache which I attributed to hosting my daughter's 2nd birthday party. I also have a history during this pregnancy & last of hormonal headaches. During this headache, my BP was within normal limits but elevated for me. Anyway, by yesterday's appointment headache was gone & BP was back to normal. My BP usually runs pretty low. Low 100s/60s-70s is usual for me. All went well at 20 week appointment & was sent home a happy camper. =)

A few hours later, I was sitting on the computer, resting while my daughter napped when out of the blue I began sweating profusely, shaking and my heart was racing & palpitating. I drank some OJ, ate a banana & had a granola bar thinking it might be my blood sugar. I also checked my BP (high 120s over mid 180s) and pulse (112). After about an hour I didn't feel any better so I called my OBs office. They sent me to L&D at the hospital.

While there I was told it was too early for pre-e and that baby's heart rate was good so they did some blood work & sent me down to the ER to have my heart checked out. ER said it wasn't my heart, gave me a bag of saline and sent me home. At one point my BP was 144/98 but it generally stayed around 130/80-90 pulse stayed around 110. I was told that even if high for me, it was still within normal limits & no cause for concern despite the fact my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest & my hands were shaking life a leaf. (This is the short version). I was told to follow up with my OBs office which I did today to find that no one from the hospital even contacted her. I'm slated for an appointment to see her on Tuesday morning - her 1st day in the office between now & then.

So, my 1st question is: what do the numbers I first mentioned mean? I've read with the 24 hour urine anything above 300 is considered pre-e? But what about the dipstick numbers? Should I be concerned they're going up?

Second, should I be concerned about yesterdays issues in regards to pre-e?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”