Intro- New here - cholestasis and proteinuria?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Intro- New here - cholestasis and proteinuria?

Postby barbimola » Sat Feb 18, 2012 04:33 pm

Hi,

I don't know if you read my post yesterday in response to Katie.
I'm still in the hospital, when I arrived 9 days ago due to cholestasis, my proteinuria was 200 in the 24hr test, today it came back 900. Is that bad?
I've been on metyldopa (250 x 3 day) since week 17 for gestational High Blood pressure, but since I've been in the hospital they taken me of the drug and my BP reading have been great. 12/7 - 14/85. Amazing!!!! Makes me wonder if it was wrong to take meds for so long, maybe the cause of cholestasis??
Could I be starting PE. I'm 30.2 weeks pregnant of twins.
I am not being discharged because my bile acids are too high and docs say I could get a c-section any moment.Too early too induce.
I feel fine. Both baby boys are monitored and fine. I am a little worried.
Thank you!!!

Mom (35) Dad (37)
1 daughter 2-27-2005 PE week 40
2 daughter 3-14-2007 Induced 37.5 PE
Miscarriage Molar pregnancy 26-12.2007
3 daughter 2-22-2009 c-section 36 weeks Eclampsia
barbimola

Re: Intro- New here - cholestasis and proteinuria?

Postby caryn » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:03 am

Hello! I moved your post to this new thread so more people would see it and you might get more replies.

With pressures of 140/85 and proteinuria of ~900mg in a 24 hour catch, you're already preeclamptic - the definition just requires two readings of either of 140/90, and 300 mg in 24 hours.

Cholestasis is a kind of immune response to the foreign placenta - or in your case possibly placentas! - so it isn't caused by the medication.

I'm glad you're in the hospital being monitored so closely, and have already had the steroids. Twins are rough when you already have a history of preeclampsia, since they make you higher risk. I hope you get some more safe time to be pregnant. Please keep us posted as you're able!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:43 pm

I believe multiples raise risk of cholestasis as well as PE--I know someone else who had both, with a triplet pregnancy.

Because your BP rose before, your hypertension may be chronic, not gestational (the normal cutoff is 20 weeks, but I don't know if multiples changes that equation). Methyldopa is very well studied in pregnancy--it's actually FDA category B. I would think that if an association between methyldopa use and cholestasis existed it would have been reported by now.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby barbimola » Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:32 pm

Thank you very much for your responses, I'll keep you posted. So far my BP readings are a little higher but under control.
Let see how long I can hold them in my belly. Doctors say I will stay in the hospital until delivery. I'll try and stay calm. Today is week 30.3
Thanks for your support!
b
barbimola

Return to Ask the Experienced