BP still spiking 9 days post-partum... Questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re: BP still spiking 9 days post-partum... Questions

Postby trish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 06:18 pm

So glad to hear that both you and baby are doing better!! Thanks so much for the updates. :)
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

GeorgiaGirl

Postby GeorgiaGirl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 01:25 pm

Thanks so much for the info about nephrologists, JB - that makes sense!

In more positive news, my BP was just now 117/87!! This was around the time my next methyldopa dose was due, a time when my BP usually starts spiking again. That was also sitting up, not lying down. It gave me hope for the first time in a long time that maybe my BP will normalize and I won't be stuck with permanent chronic hypertension after all!?? which in turns gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, we can try for another baby! I'm getting VERY antsy to start exercising again, but I'll wait to see what the nephrologist says on Thursday.

Our baby is doing great, too... every day we see his feisty personality coming out more and more. He's been so much stronger through this ordeal than his Mommy has!!
Julia, age 40
six first-trimester miscarriages
expecting a miracle baby May 3, 2012
diagnosed with chronic hypertension at 22 weeks; high risk of PE (extremely low PAPP-A, bilateral uterine artery notching and other risk factors)
diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 27w5d
delivered my miracle baby, John Jr. ("Jack") at 29w1d, 2 pounds 8 ounces of absolute perfection

JB

Postby JB » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Nephrologists also treat hypertension because it is so closely related to kidney disease (hypertension and diabetes are the two leading causes of kidney failure). If you had elevated protein in your urine or reduced kidney function due to the preeclampsia, your OB also probably wants to make sure someone is monitoring your kidneys to make sure they return to normal when your blood pressure is brought under control. After my preeclampsia my blood pressure remained elevated, and my nephrologist managed it with medication (I'm pregnant again and now my OB is managing it, without medication for the time being). Although I had no prior history of hypertension before preeclampsia I was seeing a nephrologist annually because I donated a kidney in 2008, so it was pretty natural for me to see one for hypertension, too.

I'm so glad your baby is doing well! I know it is hard to see your baby have so much pain, but it is so much better than the alternative. He will be home and in your arms all day before you know it!
1st - miscarried at 11 weeks in Dec. 2009
2nd - baby girl born Mar. 2011 at 29 weeks 6 days due to severe PE
3rd - baby boy due June 19th, 2012

GeorgiaGirl

Postby GeorgiaGirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:14 pm

My life has been consumed with spending as much time with my baby as possible in the NICU... last BP reading I took was down to 149/97 so I didn't call in. I still don't know how accurate this home monitor is anyway since the readings can vary dramatically within just a few minutes. I'm still taking the four doses/day of 750mg methyldopa and a few times I've taken the apresaline that I'm supposed to take "as needed" (after my last BP spike and once when I had a splitting headache and was seeing spots).

My OB referred me to a nephrologist so I'm seeing him in one week (Mar. 8). I'm not sure how much a nephrologist will know about hypertension issues, but I guess my OB must've had some reason for referring me to one...

Most importantly, our baby Jack is doing great for the most part (aside from some bradycardia incidents yesterday and today). He's taking more and more of my breast milk through his feeding tube and hasn't needed supplemental oxygen for a while now. We were there tonight when he had blood drawn, and my poor baby didn't cry or even look upset... it saddens me that this is the life he knows... pain must be such a part of it that it doesn't even phase him. :( I wish I could scoop him up and take him home and kangaroo with him 24 hours a day. He's so sweet and my husband and I absolutely adore him!!
Julia, age 40
six first-trimester miscarriages
expecting a miracle baby May 3, 2012
diagnosed with chronic hypertension at 22 weeks; high risk of PE (extremely low PAPP-A, bilateral uterine artery notching and other risk factors)
diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 27w5d
delivered my miracle baby, John Jr. ("Jack") at 29w1d, 2 pounds 8 ounces of absolute perfection

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 pm

...just checking on you. And your little one. As everyone says, it can take rather a lot of time for pressures to drop postpartum -there's a lot of damage to repair.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

babycangel

Postby babycangel » Sun Feb 26, 2012 09:30 pm

Please call in! Same thing happened to me, I delivered due to severe pre-e and we thought I was out of the woods after the birth since my BP was close to normal. 6 days PP my BP skyrocketed to 208/110 and I ended up back in L&D. I am 14 weeks PP and I am still on a very high dose of labetalol but I am finally starting to feel a little better! Please take it seriously, PP Pre-e sucks and it's very serious, so you need to have it checked.

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sun Feb 26, 2012 09:28 pm

Sorry--I feel like I should correct/amend that.

In YOUR shoes, coming off PE, I would absolutely think your OB should follow you until they're sure it's resolved. If your BP stays high, you may be a chronic hypertensive and that's a matter for your PCP. But you can't say that yet.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Sun Feb 26, 2012 08:37 pm

Call in. In the first 2 weeks, you're definitely still OB (and arguably up to 6 weeks PP). I had high BP and massively swollen legs after my 2nd was born, I called in, they had me come into the office. (In hindsight, based on how bad I was over the weekend, I probably should've gone to L&D then and not waited.)

If your OB wants input from someone else because s/he is unfamiliar with meds, that's their call, but I'd want to rule out postpartum PE. Now that the baby has been delivered there are more options for medication.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

libby123

Postby libby123 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 06:40 pm

I remember bursting into tears a few weeks after I had my daughter because when I took my BP at home it was still in the 170s/100s, even while still on BP medication. It can take a while for things to get back to normal. I'm sorry you are feeling so hopeless and scared. Labor and delivery is the place for you, even after you have delivered. I went back to LD a month after I had my daughter because my c-section scar was not all the way healed. You are still considered an OB patient even after you deliver for the entire postpartum period.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Feb 26, 2012 05:50 pm

Aww man!! Sorry you are still dealing with high BP and headaches. Since you are just over a week PP you should still probably be dealing with your OB. If it's still high at your 6 week check up your OB will likely have you see a cardiologist.

I went back to the ER 4 days PP with a sky high BP (like your I was already on BP meds) and a horrible headache. They gave me a shot of morphine, took blood for labs, LOST the blood, retook blood 2 hours later (I was so pissed!) and because labs looked "ok" they sent me on my way literally with an RX for an additional BP med & a shot of morphine to go because the headache was still there/back. In hind sight, and after hearing other people stories on here I probably should have been readmitted so they could get my BP controlled and figure out the headache.

Even though you *think* you know what they'll do it's really better to call/go in than to wait it out at home. It was like 11 at night when my BP was so high or else I'd have just called my OB. Our 5 lb preemie was just discharged from the same hospital a few hours before and I HATED having to take her into the ER with me but I was nursing so she couldn't go with my folks who met us there to take the other 2 girls home.

Please update when you can. How is baby doing? (((HUGS)))
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

Return to “Ask the Experienced”