Help Needed for Friend Urine Colour ( pic included)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Help Needed for Friend Urine Colour ( pic included)

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:18 pm

I'm just checking for an update - this must be so very hard for you to watch.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Mar 11, 2012 05:44 pm

Oy! I'm so sorry to hear they didn't really take her concerns seriously. I'd also be thinking about a different hospital in the area, perhaps one with a NICU and a more responsive staff used to more complicated pregnancies.

Keeping you and your friend in my thoughts. She is so very lucky to have you in her corner.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:12 am

Nice quote, Txmom7! My understanding from what I've read is the same, that uric acid can be an extra indicator of seriousness but *not* having uric acid elevations doesn't necessarily mean you're fine. That was too many double-negatives in that sentence, I hope that made sense :).

Thanks for updating us on your friend, I wish I knew more about the labs but I'm not sure what the low albumin and serum protein mean. In PE they're specifically looking for HELLP - http://www.fpnotebook.com/HemeOnc/OB/HlpSyndrm.htm - Hemolysis - pulverized red blood cells, ELevated liver enzymes, and LP - lowered platelets.

I'm anxious to hear what your friends' 24-hour was. I do remember one other time that someone reported cola-colored urine and it turned out to be not serious, but since it *can* be very serious I'm glad your friend is getting it checked.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 06:06 pm

I'm very surprised that they let her go with urine that color! Do you know if they dipped her pee while she was there? I don't even know her and I'm anxious to find out what her 24 hour results are!

I hope she's taking it easy and will go back if ANY new symptoms appear. Thanks for the update.
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

txmom7

Postby txmom7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 05:13 pm

There currently is no single reliable, cost-effective screening test for preeclampsia. 4 The serum uric acid level once was used as an indicator of preeclampsia but has been found to lack sensitivity and specificity as a diagnostic tool. 14 However, an elevated serum uric acid level may be of some use in identifying pregnant women with chronic hypertension who have an increased likelihood of having superimposed preeclampsia. 14
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/1215/p2317.html
Last edited by txmom7 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

zaras_mummy

Postby zaras_mummy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 04:18 pm

Hi Everyone I don't really know to much but neither do my friends. She was monitored in the hospital for about 12hrs they bought her bp down then sent her home. When they let her go the 24hr results had not come back and they said they would call if there was anything major her urine is still the same colour. Somebody asked if it had changed suddenly and from what she said I think it did but she also said she doesn't really check either it wasn't until she started the collection that she noticed.

At the hospital they kept on saying she was to well to have pe but I know my friend and she is a very happy go lucky type of person and even when things are bad she is smiling but when I saw her she looked terrible. Also they haven't diagnosed her yet because her bloods were basically normal. Her uric acid is still at normal levels and said it can't be pe if that is normal. Does anyone know if that is correct? She is having symptoms and told them to go to a different hospital. The only thing that really showed in her bloods was low total serum protein and her albumin levels were apparently extremely low. She is going in tomorrow to find out her 24hr results so I will let you know if there are any new developments.

libby123

Postby libby123 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm

My thoughts are going out to you and your friend during this difficult time. I remember that when I developed preeclampsia, my urine was a dark orange color.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 04:42 pm

As you can gather, we're all very worried about your friend. We're not docs, but from what we've read and from personal experience this could be scary. I hope we're overreacting and her urine is that color for a completely not-dangerously-sick reason!

When will your friend get the results of her 24-hour collection? Please encourage her to read our signs and symptoms, and especially go in right away with headache that doesn't go away with tylenol / paracetemol, visual disturbances, pain under the right ribs, decreased baby movement... and in her shoes I would want a second opinion on the cola-colored urine asap. Did they dip the sample?

My heart goes out to you as well, dealing with your friend's health as you grieve for Lily. Please lean on us as you need, we'll do our best.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Thu Mar 08, 2012 04:07 pm

Oh my. I remember seeing urine that color. It was really noticeable when I had the catheter in. I remember watching the bag and thinking I had never seen urine like that.

I hope they took them seriously when they went in. I am also very upset that he was brushed off when he rang.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

txmom7

Postby txmom7 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:27 pm

:headdesk:

I had cola colored urine with my pre-e baby in 2006. The nurse saw.it and said "oh we call that PIH urine."

It is far from an unknown s&s.
Distressed thinking about your friend.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”