Post Reply FAQ Members Login

symptom concerns

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

symptom concerns

Postby mcade21 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 am

by mcade21 (8 Posts), Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 am

I posted this in the HELLP forum and i am reposting here just incase somone has some info they can offer me

Im sorry this is so long, im just getting kinda scared. A little backgrround info- I delivered 3 weeks early by emergency c-section with my first pregnancy due to severe preeclampsia. High BP and protein, spots, ect. All is well with my daughter 2yrs later

I am now 25 weeks today in my second pregnancy and having some symptom concerns' For the past 5 weeks ive had constant daily headaches. They have gotten so bad as to make me vomit. I have been seeing some flasing lights/floaters occasionally. For the past couple of days ive been getting really bad heartburn also. Im being treated for high blood pressure, and the medicine has been working great except for a few time that its gotten kind of high. My normal BP is around 100's/70's but lately its been reading aroud 138/88. So far ive had no protein in my urine.

Just a few days ago while at my OB appt. my BP was high again. She seems concerned about the heartburn and persistant headaches and perscribed me meds for both. She issued a 24hr urine just to be safe. She also mentiond HELLP syndrome (which i really know nothing about) and said on monday she wants to do labs and start watching me for HELLP. She also wants to start sonograms doing every 2 weeks because shes worried about the babys growth.

Fast forward to this morning, i was having an odd feeling so checked my BP which read 148/101 and has only gone down a few numbers. I also have another concern, at the moment im laying in bed feeling very weak, kind of "out of body" like. I cant really discribe it. I just feel weird, like something is going on with my body.

I guess my question is what is HELLP? Does this sound like I could be heading towards it? I really hate to be a bother to people so im not sure when i should be worried about a symptom and when i should just pass something off as pregnancy. I would just like some anwers from people who have been through similar situations. Thank you so much for taking time to help!
mcade21

Re: symptom concerns

Postby lemons » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:12 am

by lemons (75 Posts), Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:12 am

I think you should call your OB right now and let her now about your BP (which is now diagnostic for PE since it is over 140/90) and odd feeling. After reading many stories here on the forum, reporting that "just not right" feeling has probably saved at least a few women's lives. In addition, PE/HELLP can move very rapidly so just because you saw your OB a few days ago, doesn't mean that you don't need to be seen again, today.
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.
lemons

Postby alviarin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am

by alviarin (1635 Posts), Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am

Your symptoms are concerning to me. Not just the pain & high blood pressure, but that you are feeling weak.

My main symptom of preeclampsia was feeling extremely weak and tired. Like a bad case of the flu, without fever vomiting and chills. Even sitting up took too much effort, and eventually laying down was hard too since I felt like I couldn't get enough air.

If I were you I'd call the doc or head into L&D. Even if it was *just* for high BP without any other symptoms. Personally during my second pregnancy I was told to go to L&D to get checked out if my diastolic pressure hit 100. Your doc may have a different cutoff but it's better to ask and find out.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby lemons » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 am

by lemons (75 Posts), Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 am

Here is a link to a page about HELLP (http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... p-syndrome) from the PE Foundation.
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.
lemons

Postby tree » Thu Mar 08, 2012 08:48 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Thu Mar 08, 2012 08:48 pm

How are you feeling now? I would call in and ask about your symptoms. The preeclampsia experts who work with the foundation have described "general malaise" as an under appreciated symptom of preeclampsia and HELLP. It is especially concerning with your nausea, headaches, and BP. It could be the stomach flu or something, but the likelihood of PE/HELLP is high enough that you want to let the experts figure it out. I had very similar symptoms and ended up with HELLP. Mine came on over the course of at least a week, but it can move very quickly.
Could you ask your doctor to run your blood work tonight or tomorrow instead of Monday? Let us know how you are doing.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby libby123 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm

by libby123 (111 Posts), Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm

I am so sorry that you are suffering so badly with those headaches, weakness, and bad feelings. Just some thoughts:

My doctor wanted me to go to the LD if my blood pressure was over 160/100. You said your diastolic number was over 100, so if it were me, I would go to LD so that they could do blood work and your urine test there.

Unfortunately, pre-e can sometimes be a quick moving disease, so time can be of the essence.

I also suffer from anxiety, and when I feel detached from my body, I am having a panic attack.

I hope you get some answers soon. :( Keep us updated and we are here for you.
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.
libby123

Postby mcade21 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 09:16 am

by mcade21 (8 Posts), Fri Mar 09, 2012 09:16 am

Thank you so much everyone for your response. Its nice to hear advice from people that have gone/going through the same thing. Im so used to hearing people tell me to drink more water, go on a walk, eat my veggies ect. lol!

In going to L&D, they did monitor me untill my blood pressure came down, and monitored the baby (which looked good) and I was released a few hours later. I was told to just go to my regular scheduald appt. on Monday and let the Dr. know my concerns. Im the type of person that hates to waste peoples time or be a bother so this all made me feel kind of silly for going. I did ask the nurse if i am feeling this way and having these BP readings, when should I be concerned? When should I come back in no questiones asked? She said when my BP is really high, or I start to swell.

I guess my biggest problem with all of this is when should I be worried? I have a great Dr. and shes very attentive to everything thats bothering me. She told me to call or go to L&D if my symptoms worsen or my BP is 140/90 or greater, which I have done but was released feeling like there was no reason to be there. Please dont get me wrong, my worst nightmare would be that something is so wrong with me that my baby would be in danger. I'm greatful nothing was too alarming, but in leaving I guess I'm not sure I understand what symptoms should concern me and what I should just pass off as pregnancy. I'm just very conflicted lately about voicing my worries because I dont want to be "that" pregnant lady Lol!

anyway, thanks for letting me vent! And thanks for everyones advise its much appreicaited!
mcade21

Postby alviarin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 am

by alviarin (1635 Posts), Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 am

I'm glad you went in and everything checked out ok. And I know what you mean.... sometimes I would get those looks that made me wonder why I was even coming in to the hospital to be monitored. It almost seemed like everytime I got hooked up for monitoring my BP would drop back down.... until the times when it didn't go back down and kept climbing or there was proteinura and I was there for the duration. And with my son it went from slightly high BP one day to severe preeclampsia the next- fortunately I was already in the hospital at the time because my doc was being cautious.

Unfortunately it is impossible to predict when symptoms will stop being labile and preeclampsia will rear its ugly head, so our jobs are to report any changes to our health care providers. And to go in & get checked out per doctors orders.

You might want to discuss your concerns with the doc Monday, and go over again what symptoms and pressures she wants you to call-in vs. go straight to L&D. Remember when you advocate for yourself and your baby you are not being a "bother" you are being vigilant!
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Fri Mar 09, 2012 04:44 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Fri Mar 09, 2012 04:44 pm

I am glad you went in and more glad to hear that they didn't find anything major. I understand not wanting to bother the doctors and nurses, but worrying about PE is their job. They are there to be bothered, and they would rather talk to you than have you not call and get sick. Sometimes they need to be reminded of that. As the previous poster suggested, it would be a really good idea to talk through all of this in detail with your doctor on Monday.
I would add a few things to your "call in" list. They told you about BP, but that is not a hard cut off. If yours stays high for YOU (135/88 nearly killed me, while it is normal for others), call in. If you get the terrible headache that doesn't go away with tylenol, call. I think the big one to watch out for is if you feel indescribably bad again. Pregnancy is pretty miserable, so it can be tough to resolve feeling unreasonably miserable from normally miserable, but it is worth calling in if you feel THAT bad. I had the HELLP pain for at least a week, but I was diagnosed and delivered the same day I started vomiting and feeling completely terrible. I called because I knew that I couldn't go on feeling like that for more than a couple of hours. It is good to call in before you get that bad off.

Did they run the PE/HELLP labs while you were in L&D? HELLP can occur with out high BP, and it sounds like your doctor is watching you for that specifically. It would be worth asking your doctor to run them Monday just so you know that you are okay.

I hope you are feeling better. This is the one time you will pray for the stomach bug, food poisoning, etc. Stay vigilant and hang in there. I hope you can keep baking this baby for a long time.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 07:06 pm

by alexis (305 Posts), Fri Mar 09, 2012 07:06 pm

Don't feel bad about going in. Think about it the other way: what if you had thought "no biggie" and it HAD turned out to be serious?

When I was 32 weeks pregnant with DS, I went in for my appointment. BP came in at 140/90. After my NST they retested and it was 162/110. They sent me straight to L&D. Turned out to be nothing (I got a 24 hour stay with labs and collection) and I went to 39 weeks. BUT, they had no way of knowing that. They just saw my pressure, knew I was a chronic hypertensive (on meds) with a history of PE and sent me in. They were right to do it and I didn't feel stupid.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced