4 months pp

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re: 4 months pp

Postby trish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 07:29 pm

Caryn I broke out in a whole body rash from the ace inhibitors. Apparently it was such a "text book" rash (but fairly uncommon) that he called his nurse in to see it! I had an asthmatic reaction to beta blockers (that they treated for months as asthma with med after med & multiple inhalers until I started feeling not just tired but weak - didn't feel comfortable holding the baby I was so weak).

Yup - I tried one of everything it seemed that first year PP. UGH! And packed up a house to sell, sold it and moved out of state with my DH & 3 kids 4 and under!) Sometimes I'm amazed I survived!! LOL!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

babycangel

Postby babycangel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 09:45 pm

Thanks so much ladies, I am so glad to hear that! I will definitely follow up with a cardiologist and try to find someone willing to work with me. I will keep you updated!

patty

Postby patty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 08:53 pm

There is absolutely no reason to wean to take blood pressure medicines. http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap ... html#Heart This is a list of drugs that are approved for nursing and a few are even ace inhibitors Enalapril/Enalapril Maleate which is on the is is an L2 which is one of the safer drugs to take when nursing. Propranolol is the one I take, it is not an ace inhibitor but it works great for me I have also taken Metoprolol and Nifedipine safely and nursed for over 2 years. A lot of doctors are not very educated on pharmacology and breastfeeding. There are many many options you can try to find a medicine that works for you that is compatible without having to wean.
Patty mom to: Seth 6-24-95 (severe preeclampsia that got worse postpartum, delivered at 36 weeks), Brooks 9-11-98 (preeclampsia delivered at 35weeks), Sylvia 5-24-01(my only girl, PIH delivered at 38 weeks), Raleigh 2-19-06 (born on my 37th birthday, severe preeclamsia, 3 weeks of hospital bedrest, delivered at 34 weeks) and last but not least little Randall 5-07-08, 3lbs 11oz.(severe preeclampsia, a month of hospital bedrest, delivered at 31weeks, 25days in the NICU with RDS, chest tubes and NEC)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 08:13 pm

FWIW, you don't need bad bloodwork labs to have severe preeclampsia - just proteinuria above 300 mg and one bp reading of either of 160/100 is enough, and when that's coupled to hyperreflexia will be more than enough!

I would definitely follow up with someone who would be willing to help you try out other meds that are safe for nursing and will also work. (Trish, was it the horrible dry cough that goes along with ACE allergies that you ended up having, or some other allergic response?)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Mar 15, 2012 09:07 am

There are many other BF safe BP meds to try before switching to ace inhibitors. Believe me - I think I tried them all after my 3rd pregnancy!! I tried several different combos of meds to continue BF but eventually had to throw in the towel just past 11 months to go on an ace inhibitor - and then had an allergic reaction to them and had to quit after less than a week! GAH!!

I would certainly second the recommendation to see a cardiologist. That's who I worked after my 6 week PP check up as far as BP meds go. Good luck!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 09:05 am

If you aren't comfortable with your GP handling your BP issues I would also reccomend asking for a referral to a cardiologist. Maybe they can find you a more breastfeeding friendly med that still works to control your BP. Good luck!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 07:21 am

At this stage pp in combination with your BP it probably would be a good idea to be checked by a cardiologist. I also remember that my doc told me that the criteria for high BP outside of pregnancy differs.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

babycangel

4 months pp

Postby babycangel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 00:33 am

HI everyone,

I had my daughter at 35w 2 d due to what my docs called "severe preeclampsia". My bloodwork never reflected this, but my last 24 hr urine showed a level of 367 combined with severe clonus, hyperreflexia and high BPs despite being on high doses of labetalol. All along I was told that I will need to wean at 6 months to start taking ACE inhibitors to better control my BP. I was fine with that when it seemed so far away. Now that we are nearing this point I am saddened by the thought of abruptly weaning my daughter at 6 months since she just LOVES nursing and is thriving beautifully. My BP is nowhere near perfect. I get occasional readings of 130s/80s but it definitely trends toward 150s/100s in the evening. I currently take 1700 mg of labetalol.

Would switching to ACE inhibitors really make such a big difference? Should I start looking into consulting with cardiologists/nephrologists? I am still only about 14 lbs below my highest weight, but I am not that active yet. I can tell I am retaining a fair amount of water. I don't think my GP is taking this seriously enough. Ugh :( I still feel like crap and am nowhere near where I was pre-pregnancy when I was very fit and healthy.

Obviously I would wean to save my life and be there for my 3 kids anytime over nursing my baby. But somehow I don't see how switching would make a huge difference. I can't take procardia because I had bad side effects the last time I took it.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”