Generic Lovenox?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cmccaffrey

Re: Generic Lovenox?

Postby cmccaffrey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I was on enoxaparin (generic lovenox) pretty much my entire pregnancy. Before getting pregnant, I was on the name brand lovenox for another health complication. Yep... huge price difference. I paid $750 for 14 shots of the name brand and $150 for a month's worth of generic. Heparin I paid even less at like $10 for a weeks supply (they wouldn't let me have more than that at a time). I actually liked the needles for the generic lovenox better... the generic seemed to burn less, but heparin burned the most out of everything, however I bruised least with heparin.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

angieb

Postby angieb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 08:41 pm

Flori,

There is a HUGE price difference between the two!

The generic came out in July 2010-or around then. When I got my first prescription filled in Nov. 2010, the pharmacist where I took the rx to was not aware that there was a generic and quoted me like $300 for a month supply with my insurance (which actually isn't *horrible* compared to some prices on it I've seen and for 2 shots a day..) I asked him if that was for the generic and he said no, that there is no generic, I argued with him for a bit before he decided to look it up and call me back and then have to admit I was right. My new copay was $10 a month for the generic (which my MFM had okay'd) Insurance gave us no trouble for it. My insurance paid around $1000 a month for the shots, I believe my copay was $10 for 60 shots (a month supply).

Heparin is another option that is much cheaper than *namebrand* lovenox. The only problem with heparin is that they syringes are not prefilled like they are with lovenox (both generic and namebrand), and heparin does not last as long in your system so they generally are 2 shots a day vs. 1 with lovenox (although I was on 2 with lovenox anyway.) If you stay on injections until before delivery, most people are usually switched from lovenox to heparin around 32-34 weeks anyway so if they have to deliver, they don't have to wait as long to get it out of your system. I stopped injections altogether around 32 weeks instead of switching over. By that point I was still symptom free and DS was big and they were fine with me stopping them since I do not have a found/known clotting disorder.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

mom41

Postby mom41 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:17 pm

Hi Flori,
My MFM was just fine with generic Lovenox- enoxaparin. For the brand my insurance co pay would be about $10/shot.
As part of hospital employee benefit I was getting it for free.
The generic must be a lot cheaper - my insurance paid $230 and I paid only $5 for 7 shots.
son 4/2004 subchorionic hematoma but full term, healthy
1/2011 stillborn twins (IVF) due to severe IUGR/ pre-e 23+3 wks, chronic htn
Jason born 3/21/12, 35w 6 days, healthy 4 lbs 15 oz, 18 in, no pre-e but oligo/iugr, 1 week of NICU for hypoglycemia and mild RDS, doing great ! (thank you labetalol, lda, lovenox and my drs!)

flori

Postby flori » Fri Mar 16, 2012 02:21 pm

Hi Angie, this probably isn't the place to ask- but do you know what the cost diff was between the two?

My OB and I spoke briefly about Lovenox when I saw her last week so I asked for a price quote at my pharmacy-- based on my coverage, it will be over $1300 a month. :( She didn't mention a generic, maybe it'll be a little less costly.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.

angieb

Postby angieb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 01:31 pm

I was only on the generic my whole second pregnancy. (I think it's called enoxeporin or something like that.) I think some people who were on both said the generic's needles hurt slightly more, but that was the only difference.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

mom41

Generic Lovenox?

Postby mom41 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 08:01 am

Hi everybody.
Is anybody on generic Lovenox ? I have a few shots to go till 36 weeks , my pharmacy did not have my usual brand name.
Thanks.
son 4/2004 subchorionic hematoma but full term, healthy
1/2011 stillborn twins (IVF) due to severe IUGR/ pre-e 23+3 wks, chronic htn
Jason born 3/21/12, 35w 6 days, healthy 4 lbs 15 oz, 18 in, no pre-e but oligo/iugr, 1 week of NICU for hypoglycemia and mild RDS, doing great ! (thank you labetalol, lda, lovenox and my drs!)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”