Testing prior to conception

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Testing prior to conception

Postby caryn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 am

There's not very much evidence suggesting that there is a benefit from treating underlying disorders with respect to pregnancy outcome, so OBs are sometimes hesitant to run tests - it costs money but won't clearly benefit future pregnancies. There are no known interventions for preeclampsia apart from delivery, and no good evidence (RCTs or studies showing a differential in a high-risk population) suggesting that treating underlying conditions actually lowers risk for preeclampsia!

Internists are somewhat more likely to see a benefit from running the tests, since identifying underlying conditions and treating you for them provides a benefit for your lifetime health, which is their province.

My OB did want to screen me for Factor V Leiden - which turned up negative - and for vitamin D - which turned up normal - but saw no point in any other testing because I so clearly had a strong family history of chronic hypertension. Since you have a strong family history of autoimmune conditions, maybe a rheumatologist would be the expert to ask?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

StrongMom

Postby StrongMom » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 am

Thank you! I am meeting with my GP at the end of this month where I am hoping to ask for the additional testing that I need.
DS born 2010 at 37 week 5 lbs 13 oz due to pre-e

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:45 am

If you are lactose intolerant you might want to get your vitamin D levels checked since you might not be getting enough via diet.
You could also ask to have your homocysteine levels checked (if they are high it can indicate a B vitamin deficiency).

If you have a family history of thyroid problems I would get my TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) checked. Heck I might get it checked anyway to have a baseline since thyroid problems are fairly common.

If you have any wierd symptoms you could ask for an ANA test to help screen for autoimmune disorders.

I'm not a doc but these are all tests I asked to have run on myself. :) If you don't feel comfortable with your peri you could always talk to your GP about testing.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

StrongMom

Postby StrongMom » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks to those who responded. I have often wondered about autoimmune disorders, since I have a strong family history of it.

I do believe that I have suffered from some other organ involvement, but nothing has specifically presented itself for testing :(

Any thoughts of vitamin deficiency testing?

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:25 pm

My doc did some testing of my heart function (but that's probably bc I had heart failure on top of the pe last time). He didn't really recommend anything else, but I pushed for antiphospholipid antibody testing and a sleep study.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed

cmccaffrey

Postby cmccaffrey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 01:49 pm

I had tests for autoimmune and blod clotting disorders (thrombophilia panel). You're regular doctor should be able to perform these tests as would your gynecologist (some do and some don't).

Hope that helps!
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

StrongMom

Testing prior to conception

Postby StrongMom » Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:22 am

I developed pre-e at 36 weeks 4 days with my last babe. What type of testing prior to conception with number 2 does should I requested? I want to make sure that everything is good to go. I do believe that I had vitamin deficiencies with my last one as I became lactose intolerant and couldn't tolerate certain foods.

ps-I visited with a perinatologist who wasn't helpful at all in this area.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”