reoccurence risk postpartum

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: reoccurence risk postpartum

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 am

Postpartum cases are tricky because you *know* there are many cases that never present at the hospital. The moms think they have no energy and a really bad upset stomach or something, and decide to tough it out until the morning... and start healing...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

brismom

Postby brismom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:32 am

Thanks, Caryn. Yes, I am sure it is difficult to accurately say as it is rare for it to be postpartum. I don't see a whole lot of postpartum HELLP on the site. I am blessed it didn't affect my daughter as it did me. I wouldn't of wanted it any other way.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 07:05 am

Sorry to be late getting to this; I had to go check. They don't break out subcategories like HELLP in the postpartum data that I can see, but they do look at postpartum recurrence risk for women with severe disease.

It looks like the best estimate is "around 20-30%" and that's not specific to HELLP, but just severe postpartum disease. Which is because it's hard to get enough women in the sample with postpartum HELLP to come up with an estimate for that specific subset of disease.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 24&p=58286

Hope this helps!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

brismom

reoccurence risk postpartum

Postby brismom » Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:55 pm

I recently read an old post on reoccurence statistics but it only gave stats to term. I had post partum PE and HELLP and wonder what the stats of reocc. are for that. Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”