protein and blood pressures update from this appt below

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: protein and blood pressures update from this appt below

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Oct 03, 639557 4:07 pm

I'm so glad you are going in. All the numbers are scary, and what's most scary is that it comes across loud and clear that your mommy gut is telling you something is wrong, which trumps everything. Please keep us posted when you can. I'm keeping crossables crossed that you find a solid doctor that will take your concerns seriously and lay out a plan for you that makes you feel heard and secure.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Thu Oct 03, 639557 3:57 pm

I'm really glad you're heading in. I hate to say this, because I'm not an OB and don't love armchair quarterbacking that much, but I really don't like the sound of your OBs.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Oct 03, 639557 11:05 am

I've been at swim lessons with my kids...so glad to see you are heading in to get checked out. Hang in there & update us when you can! (((hugs)))
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

lemons

Postby lemons » Thu Oct 03, 639557 9:45 am

Good luck tonight at the hospital. Sorry to say, but I hope for your sake that they decide to keep you for awhile :) And if not, make sure that you get them to give you a detailed plan of when you should come back (i.e. what BP, what kind of headache, etc means to come right back in). Keep us updated as you are able. Hugs. Diana
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Thu Oct 03, 639557 7:40 am

im waiting for my husband get home and then we are going to the hospital. thanks for the information

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 03, 639557 5:12 am

The NIH Working Group Report (which is a decade old, so people should be up on it!) is somewhere in these links: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 12&t=35000

It says Hospitalization for the duration of pregnancy is indicated for preterm onset of severe gestational hypertension or preeclampsia. The decision to prolong the pregnancy in these women is determined day by day. The women should receive intensive maternal and fetal surveillance, usually at a tertiary care facility. Laboratory studies are performed at frequent intervals and include serial determinations of platelet count, serum liver enzyme levels, renal function, and urinary protein. Assiduous attention is given for worsening hypertension; evidence of central nervous system involvement that includes severe headache, disorientation, or visual symptoms; and hepatic involvement indicated by epigastric pain and tenderness.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

lemons

Postby lemons » Thu Oct 03, 639557 4:54 am

You don't need an appointment with an OB or MFM to walk into the hospital where you delivered last time. By law (at least in the US), a pregnant woman can not be turned away. She needs to be assessed, stabilized, and then a decision can be made as to what to do with her. You have every right to walk into the hospital, to go to L&D, and ask to see a doctor. I know that that is not a situation anyone wants to be in, but sometimes we really need to advocate for ourselves and our babies. Caryn is right that you are probably a severe preeclamptic and therefore should probably be in the hospital (and again I am not a doctor and I am not trying to diagnose you). I am just concerned enough to really urge you to get checked out today. PM me if you want with any questions. I'll stay here for a bit longer.
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 03, 639557 4:50 am

There will be an MFM at the hospital with the level III to evaluate you after triage - usually within a very short time, because they are on call at the facilities for medically complicated patients.
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Thu Oct 03, 639557 4:44 am

i just called my obs office about my blood pressure, headache and dizziness. all they want to do it up my labetalol from 600 mg a day to 800 mgs. i just took my pressure again and it was 151/110. i just dont understand =( im going to start calling new OB'S. the soonest appt i could get with the MFM is next week . i had a BPP today and baby was doing good.
Last edited by mommyyates11 on Thu Oct 03, 639557 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 03, 639557 4:17 am

The labs are for HELLP, not preeclampsia. The diagnostic line for PE is as Trish says, just two readings of either of 140/90 and over 300mg protein in a 24 hour test. Severe PE is just one reading of either of 160/100.

We can't diagnose you, but technically I think you are a severe preeclamptic right now, preterm, and the NIH guidelines say that means day to day management in a tertiary care center for the rest of your pregnancy.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”