protein and blood pressures update from this appt below

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Re: protein and blood pressures update from this appt below

Postby alexis » Thu Nov 07, 639557 9:47 am

I agree with trish - please go into L&D if your symptoms worse or you have any concerns.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Nov 07, 639557 9:38 am

Thank you so much for the update but I am still so sorry to hear that you aren't sitting in a hospital bed being monitored 24/7! Especially with that protein AND right side pain!! I'm guessing that the labs then ran yesterday didn't show any liver issues which is why they want to look at your gall bladder? Labs can change with in hours though - we've had posters be fine at an appt in the am and having an emergency c-section that night - PE can move *that* fast.

Please realize that you are sick - you have pre-eclampsia & if your protein was 5,000 you would be considered to have severe PE (your BP reading of 160/100 already qualify for severe PE). I don't say that to scare you but to remind you to go to L&D if ANYTHING feels off, weird, your BP gets high - whatever. Here's info from NIH Working Group Report: it states that severe PE patients are often monitored in a tertiary hospital and watched day-to-day. "http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/arc ... /index.htm" and a quote:

Hospitalization for the duration of pregnancy is indicated for preterm onset of severe gestational hypertension or preeclampsia. The decision to prolong the pregnancy in these women is determined day by day. The women should receive intensive maternal and fetal surveillance, usually at a tertiary care facility. Laboratory studies are performed at frequent intervals and include serial determinations of platelet count, serum liver enzyme levels, renal function, and urinary protein. Assiduous attention is given for worsening hypertension; evidence of central nervous system involvement that includes severe headache, disorientation, or visual symptoms; and hepatic involvement indicated by epigastric pain and tenderness.

Hang in there!!!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Thu Nov 07, 639557 2:58 am

just got back from my appt, my blood pressure is better 144/88 but my protein is 2000. my ob consulted the MFM that i will be seeing next week and they said if it hits 5000 or my pressure gets way high i will have to deliver. i do another 24 hour urine starting monday. my dr is wanting me to do a gallbladder ultrasound to rule out problems since im having right sided chest pain but ive never had gallbladder problems. we were told today that i would deliver in the next couple of weeks, my ob's goal is 34 weeks but she doesnt see it happening. im a little afraid of deliver at 30-33 weeks. she did put in my chart my symptoms and i also wrote a paper of symptoms and blood pressures she also put that in my chart i start weekly BPP next week. i had only this week and baby scored 8 of 8.

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Nov 06, 639557 10:01 pm

Are you still seeing the regular OB or have you been able to consult with the MFM? I'm hopeful they will take your concerns more seriously. And you may need to play a bit more hardball with them if they don't. Like I think another poster said, ask them to record in your chart your exact symptoms, the headaches, swelling, chest pain etc and what their recommendation is AND that you are not comfortable with the plan and any other monitoring you're suggesting that they are poo pooing. I'm surprised they aren't at the very least monitoring baby with NSTs. As soon as we were diagnostic for pre-e we had bi weekly NSTs and my symptoms were no where as serious as yours.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Wed Nov 06, 639557 7:55 am

How are you doing today? Did you get results from your urine tests and bloodwork? How are your symptoms?
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

lemons

Postby lemons » Sat Oct 26, 639557 9:37 pm

So sorry to hear that your physicians are not helping you to feel comfortable with the care you are receiving. I was thinking about what you could do to maybe put some pressure on your physician to explain the rationale behind your treatment plan. The following (http://www.preeclampsia.org/pdf/PIIS193317110800185X.pd) is a link to a article published by the American Society of Hypertension (ASH) in 2008 dealing with preeclampsia, what it is, how to define it, and how to treat it. I think that out of all of the articles listed on the PF's website, this one is the easiest for a non-scientist to understand. Could you print the article out and take it with you to your appointment tomorrow (I would print two, one for you to hold, and one for your OB)? You could ask your physician why your BP is being taken while laying down. Why you are not considered a "severe preeclamptic" since your BP has reached 160. And when s/he thinks it is appropriate for you to be hospitalized for continuous monitoring. You could frame your questions with a "I don't understand why, in my opinion, I am not being treated according to these recommendations. Could you please explain your rationale?" But expect that your OB might say that the ASH is not made up of OBs. And in answer, you can say that it "includes solicited review advice from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists" (quote is from the articles abstract) and incorporates the latest recommendations from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists published in 2002 (also found on the PF website at http://www.preeclampsia.org/images/pdf/ ... t_2002.pdf).

I know that this might seem confrontational, but it may help you to get some of the answers that you need in terms of what your physician has in mind for a treatment plan. And it might get your physician to take some more action.

In any case, good luck tomorrow!
Diana
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Sat Oct 26, 639557 4:17 pm

im still having a really bad headache that wont go away, extremely tired, my eyes feel fuzzy, dizzy off and on chest pain. they did my FFN last week and it was positive. i got the betamethasome injections for the lungs 2 weeks ago and i asked about getting more and they said they only do 2. i did blood work today and they will have it and the urine test back tomorrow. all this is really frustratings bc i almost died last time. i dont want to lose my baby bc of there stupidity. it took us 4 years to get pregnant with my first son and by some miracle it only took us 5 months the 2 time

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Oct 26, 639557 4:00 pm

Goodness!!! What about all your other symptoms - are you still having headaches? Have they done bloodwork? I'm glad you are going back in tomorrow - they should have your 24 hour results then right? What about your fFN - have they tested that recently? Have they mentioned doing steroid shots to help mature baby's lungs? I would ask about all those at your appt. tomorrow if they haven't been done in the past day or two.

I'm glad you are being seen again tomorrow but sorry to hear you aren't already being monitored more closely - like in a hospital bed!! I'll be looking for an update tomorrow. Hang in there.
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Sat Oct 26, 639557 8:31 am

im home and still on strict bedrest, i saw the dr today my pressure was 160/98 sitting and laying on my left side it was 140/90. my protein was +2 again today but i also turned in my 24 hour urine today. i see my dr again tomorrow. they wont keep me in the hospital bc my pressure comes down but only when i lay on my left side. which i hear isnt accurate anyways. im still at a loss bc i still feel like they dont care bc my pressure doesnt stay high. i would try to change dr but what dr is going to take me 29 weeks and high risk =(

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Oct 26, 639557 3:05 am

Just checking in on you. Hope you are just in the hospital being monitored. Update us when you can!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”