protein and blood pressures update from this appt below

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mommyyates11

Re: protein and blood pressures update from this appt below

Postby mommyyates11 » Mon Nov 18, 639557 5:36 pm

LEMONS- i see you delivered at 30 weeks how long was ur baby in the NICU? did she have any complications(breathing eating etc)

lemons

Postby lemons » Mon Nov 18, 639557 5:18 pm

Many of the "labs" we talk about are actually not for PE, but for HELLP. The labs look for breakdown of blood cells (the H in HELLP), elevated liver proteins (EL), and low platelets (LP). So, right now you are being monitored for worsening of your PE (proteinurea and BP issues) and for any indication of HELLP. But as I said in my earlier post some of the "labs" also check kidney function. My guess would be that if your kidneys are leaking 5000 mg that they are going to be impaired enough that your lab values will change. But I could be wrong.

Don't worry about the questions, this is what we are here for.
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Mon Nov 18, 639557 4:48 pm

my last blood pressure i took was 148/90. i feel really exhausted and dizzy. i still have my headache that seems to never go away. last night i had alot of braxton hicks. baby is very active hes always moving around =) my ob also wants me to have an echo of my heart to look for damage. i have that also on tuesday morning .thanks for asking

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Nov 18, 639557 4:33 pm

Protein over 5,000 means the kidney itself is beginning to get a lot of damage (or it wouldn't be "leaking" that much protein.) So labs on your liver function & other things the PE labs cover may be ok still.

How's your BP today? Any other symptoms? Have you been doing kick counts - is baby pretty active? Hang in there!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Mon Nov 18, 639557 3:12 pm

sorry for all the quetions. my dr said that she would deliver me when my protein is 5000 but what if my labs are normal?

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Nov 18, 639557 9:32 am

Mine was always like that. Protein was high but then everything else they look for was within normal limits... which is good news.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

mommyyates11

Re: protein and blood pressures update with question below

Postby mommyyates11 » Mon Nov 18, 639557 8:56 am

How can the protein be so high and my lab work be ok?

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Nov 18, 639557 1:32 am

Glad it seems they are taking things more seriously, though like others would still be so much more comfortable if you were sitting in a hospital "suite". :) At the same time I know you're totally on top of all your symptoms and will call at the first sign of any changes. Glad baby is looking great and will cross all crossables you make that 34 week goal!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

lemons

Postby lemons » Sun Nov 17, 639557 7:41 pm

Hi there.

Hopefully I can help you understand a little bit more about what is going on with your body. I'm not a physician so this is just my take on it-

The kidney acts as both a gatekeeper and a damn, allowing certain things into our urine and keeping out everything else. Normally, our bodies don't want to lose any protein since protein can be recycled. So, the kidney does not allow protein to go into the urine. However, when blood pressure rises in your body that in turn puts more pressure on the kidney and the kidney can show signs of damage (like a crack in a damn). This is because the cells that do the real work of the kidney are no longer able to act as an impermeable barrier (like the concrete of a damn), but instead act more like a sieve (the toy kids love to play with in the sandbox). One of the things that ends up in the urine when a kidney is showing signs of damage is protein. Having any protein in your urine, means that your kidneys are not working properly. Any disease that damages the kidney can cause protein in the urine. Specifically in preeclampsia, it is known that the actual amount of protein in a woman's urine doesn't always correlate with the severity of her preeclampsia. (For me, my protein was at 2500 mg and my physician told me that I could have that amount of protein leaking for weeks without having any permanent kidney damage.) However, having more than 5,000 mg in a 24 hour urine sample is considered pretty serious and can be a sign that you are approaching a point where your kidney will not be able to heal itself. There are other lab values (creatinine and urea and probably others) that also tell how well your kidneys are working and since your lab results came back ok, that suggests that your kidneys are not at that serious point yet.

At this pint, with the additional info as to what your physicians are thinking for a plan, I think they are doing what is appropriate. The goal is to get you and your baby as far along as possible while keeping you both healthy. However, I think you should be in the hospital while it is being done! I say this not to diagnose you, but to help ease your fears a little bit. I can imagine that this has been extremely stressful for you. As far as the chest pain, gallbladder vs liver issues, hopefully the gallbladder ultrasound will help to sort that out. Just keep an eye on that pain and if it changes AT ALL, I would head in to L&D. And keep checking that BP!

Good luck!
Diana
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.

mommyyates11

Postby mommyyates11 » Sun Nov 17, 639557 4:28 pm

she said my lab work looked good but if the chest pain wasnt gallbladder it could be liver pain. everyone keeps asking why im not in the hospital if they are talking delivery soon, so i just called my dr and am waiting on a call back. i asked the nurse what the protein really means and she was rude to me about it and i still dont really understand it. with my son i was ok one day and almost died the next so this is all new to me. im still taking my blood pressure at home bc i still dont trust the whole laying on ur side thing. i would of brought it up yesterday but like i said the nurse with soooo rude to me and shes usually really nice. my dr did say i will deliver in the hospital with the level 3 NICU.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”