How often do you monitor your BP?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mom29

Re: How often do you monitor your BP?

Postby mom29 » Sat Nov 30, 639557 3:00 pm

During pregnancy, morning, midday, and evening. Also, if I just felt "off". Non-pregnant with cht, randomly.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Nov 18, 639557 9:49 am

I take mine twice a day now, morning and evening. My evening pressures tend to be higher than the mornings.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Nov 18, 639557 2:44 am

I'm glad you posted this question, I was going to post the same!

We've been instructed to take it 2x a day. We do once morning, once evening. Though I'll admit it... I take it way more often! As a bit of a control freak I find it soooo frustrating when it's higher than usual especially when I'm just sitting like a bump on a log that I will often take it again a bit later just to be sure it went back down.... though I don't recommend doing that because I do drive myself a lil' bonkers when it hasn't. It's so frustrating that you can't just control it! ;)
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Mon Nov 18, 639557 1:28 am

When I was doing it without any specific concerns, once a day, same time, to track changes from day to day. My OB was fine with this. (I would do it mid morning every day--I took my meds at bed time--and kept a log.) (I am a chronic hypertensive on meds, so I always monitor, though outside of pregnancy I don't do so daily when my control is good--I do it a couple of times a week to be sure there's no change.)

If it were high I would probably do it morning and evening (maybe 3 times) unless instructed to do otherwise. I'd want to have some sense of daily patterns--if I'm going up in the evening, I won't see that if I always take it in the morning. I would probably suggest, again unless your doctor says otherwise, not to check it constantly, because it always fluctuates a little bit and taking it so often will drive you crazy with each 5 point change.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

katie 050812

How often do you monitor your BP?

Postby katie 050812 » Mon Nov 18, 639557 12:47 am

I am just at the beginning of this process, since getting a high BP measurement at the OB yesterday (148/88). They went ahead and ordered labs and a 24 hour urine test, and I have started monitoring my BP at home. I'm curious how often you all monitor your BP? Mine seems to vary quite a bit. Last night, I measured 150/100. This morning when I woke up, 129/83. Just now, 140/97. It seems to be always on my mind to want to check it, but I don't want to go totally overboard!

Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”