Proteinuria after PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Proteinuria after PE

Postby cgoodi1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 09:49 am

I just got back from the doctor's and a month and a half after my battle with PE I still have proteinuria. They're sending me back again in two months to check it out and if it's still there then I have to see a nephrologist. Anyone know when their proteinuria disappeared. Should I be worried?
Stillbirth - 21 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia, HELLP and IUGR - 15/02/12
Baby girl Aria - Induced due to high blood pressure at 36 weeks + 2 days - 7lbs 3oz - 05/03/13
cgoodi1

Re: Proteinuria after PE

Postby sam10 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 am

As far as I know proteinuria can take some time before it goes back to normal. I am sure somebody will chime in with similar experience.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Tudorsfan1509 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 09:44 pm

I'm dealing with same exact situation. At 8 week check up still spilling protein. I'm.already seeing a nephrologist because they had him taking care of me is the hospital after delivery.

I follow up again two weeks.

If its still there my neph thinks I may have developed chronic kidney disease. :(

I'm very worried about it.

Keep us posted how you do!!!
Tudorsfan1509

Postby Maplecat6 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 06:51 am

My OB consulted with a Neurologist and was willing to wait three months postpartum to see if my levels dropped. By that point, I still had proteinuria, but at follow up testing with the Neurologist a couple of weeks later, it had resolved. The protein showed back up seven months postpartum when I was again pregnant.

I hope yours resolves quickly. I remember being frustrated that no one could really tell me how long things can be abnormal without there being permanent damage. Everyone thought my blood pressure took so long to go down, I might be on meds for life. I was really freaked out about long term kidney damage. Thankfully, I made it through without either.
Amy, mom to almost 5
Quinn, 4/28/06, no complications
Lou, 5/8/09, no complications
Rosie, 3/13/11-3/29/11, eclampsia at 27 weeks and then died from NEC
Sara, 5/3/12, no complications other than an obscene amount of monitoring
Baby #5 due in 2/15
Maplecat6

Postby cgoodi1 » Mon May 28, 2012 02:53 pm

Just came back from the doctor's. I had sent in a urine sample a week prior to the appointment and I still have protein in my urine. My number was 0.4 g/L and he said the normal would be 0.3g/L. Now I have to do a 24 hour urine analysis in about two weeks. I'm hoping it resolves itself. My numbers have definitely gone down since pregnancy however I'm worried now that there's an underlying issue :(
Stillbirth - 21 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia, HELLP and IUGR - 15/02/12
Baby girl Aria - Induced due to high blood pressure at 36 weeks + 2 days - 7lbs 3oz - 05/03/13
cgoodi1

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue May 29, 2012 01:24 am

I'm so sorry the proteinuria isn't resolving itself. It's doubly unfair to have any complications after the loss of a lil' one. I really wish after my last pregnancy I had done more testing and seen a nephrologist. I was so sure all our issues were just a fluke we didn't really pursue anything past regular PP stuff. When at 10 weeks we already had protein of 194, I knew I should have seen someone that something underlying had probably surfaced. We're already talking about what we'll do post this pregnancy even though we have no plans of conceiving again.

I will be keeping all crossables crossed that your next 24 hour comes back much lower.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced