Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Is this really Pre E?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re: Is this really Pre E?

Postby caryn » Thu May 24, 2012 09:33 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Thu May 24, 2012 09:33 pm

White-coat hypertension is actually a risk factor for preeclampsia. When someone has that response to medical personnel (or traffic), then it means that something about the way that her body regulates blood pressure is broken - because if it weren't broken, it wouldn't *do* that.

And whatever it is that's broken about the way your body regulates blood pressure raises risk of PE, so I'm really glad they're keeping a close eye on you.

I went into pregnancy with a hx of 90/60 but white-coat spikes, and... yeah.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri May 25, 2012 01:55 am

by MomTimesThree (570 Posts), Fri May 25, 2012 01:55 am

My MFM always told me something similar to what Caryn said when I would find a good reason why my BP was high (running late, nerves, etc.) He'd tell me, "That's nice, that happens to a lot of people and their BP stays just fine." :)
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby jessicahaley » Fri May 25, 2012 09:56 am

by jessicahaley (6 Posts), Fri May 25, 2012 09:56 am

yeah that definitely makes sense! I wish I knew why it happens. I had some rough times a few years ago with panic attacks that even landed me in the hospital once. My anxiety varies. Prior to getting pregnant I had job changes, a very hard break-up, and moved across the country. I was working a very high stress job before being put on bed rest. Also the person I had the break up with committed suicide when I was seven weeks along. I flew to the funeral and grieved my heart out. I was emotionally bent. I later read that signifcant stress and anxiety may factor into preeclampsia/hellp... not sure if it is true or not but it would be true for me!
jessicahaley

Postby jessicahaley » Sun Jun 17, 2012 02:10 pm

by jessicahaley (6 Posts), Sun Jun 17, 2012 02:10 pm

just wanted to give a quick update on my situation. I am now 34 weeks and 2 days! I never thought I would make it this far. My protein is still increasing every week. I'm not sure how high it is because for the last two weeks nobody had mentioned and I'm kinda nervous to ask. They are higher though. I am still getting 2X weekly nst and once a week ultrasound, once a week 24 hour and bloodwork.I went back to the mfm doctor on June 7th. My uric acid levels and liver enzyme levels actually decreased. He thinks I have an underlying condition and did not seem concerned about preclampsia ( although I'm still worried) On Thursday I had my "big" hospital day. All was good but the obgyn office had a discussion on my case and decided that from now on I will be seeing a MD instead of my midwife. :/ don't really know what to expect. I see him this Thursday. I'm so very much aware of the complications that come with my impaired kidney function. It's definitely getting worse. I have felt crappy these last two days mainly fatigued. does having all the protein and no symptoms give me and increased chance of hellp? now being on my last leg of this pregnancy I'm starting to winner if I will develop preclampsia or hellp... It's crunch time. I'm anxiously awaiting my outcome. my midwife said if it's still only proteinuria they think I will be induced at 37/38 weeks. guess only time will tell....
jessicahaley

Previous

Return to Ask the Experienced