Weight Gain

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Weight Gain

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu May 17, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm hoping to have my concerns put in context. So far all my blood work is within normal limits, 24 protein is at 460, and previously had been at 400 for about 4 weeks... pressures are labile, random days I spend the whole day in the 140s, but mostly I cruise in the 130s with maybe a spike on 200mg of Labetalol 2x/day with no other symptoms besides a random mild headache that typically clears on its own.

I've been trying to be more relaxed this pregnancy, so haven't kept my notebook with me at each appointment like I did with my second keeping track of all my stats... but I just realized that I gained 5lbs this past week (we're 29 weeks) and at least 3-5lbs the previous week. Bringing my grand total to 30lbs already. I could care less about the actual amount... it's the fact that 5 of them were in the last week. I definitely have general swelling... for sure in my feet, hands and my husband and I both notice that my upper arms and maybe neck just look puffy... I started my pregnancy like a stick so it doesn't look awful, but noticeable if you knew me non-preggo. I think I gained about 35-40lbs with my 2nd.. though currently I'm 10lbs heavier than I was at the same gestation, 28 week scan showed everything within normal limits for baby.

I can not worry too much about this right since all my other labs are holding steady right? Crossin' crossables.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: Weight Gain

Postby alviarin » Fri May 18, 2012 02:36 pm

I wouldn't panic yet, but I would mention the weight gain & recent changes in swelling to my doc today and see what they say. When was your last 24 hour urine? I might want to ask about a repeat test sooner.

Looking back putting on a lot of weight practically overnight was one of my first pre-e symptoms, before my pressures really shot up.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Fri May 18, 2012 02:58 pm

Yeah, I agree. My second to last week, I gained 8lbs in about 5 days and it was all just that crazy swelling. I would just make sure it registers with your doc.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat May 19, 2012 01:26 am

Thank you mommas. I'll put myself into vigilant mode. :) It got missed this past appointment with my regular OB because last week was with a new MFM... who didn't even have my records (don't even get me started!). I'll be sure to bring it up at next week's appointment.

My last 24hr was Monday/Tuesday, so I'm thinking it reflects whatever swelling issues are going on. It had been at 400 since 24 weeks (done 3x since), so a lil' rise to 460, but not a lot everything else was normal, but I'll be sure to ask if anything looks like it's trending one way or another. I do my b/w weekly, so we'll have new labs to look at before next week's appointment.

In the meantime, doing my best to keep the feet up. Thank you your words of wisdom! :)
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 23, 2012 09:33 pm

Have my appointment tomorrow and I'm very hopeful that I actually dropped weight! Rings, watches went on so easy today and my feet look small again. BP has been really good too. I might have seen some floaters today, but BP still within my normals and even at the end of the day I'm not looking too Stay Puff Marshmallow-ish. Feeling very very very thankful that whatever is going on with us "just" PIH or superimposed pre-e, that it is moving so slowly, especially since we are in the midst of the gestation where things went wrong for our first, and though much less so, our second.
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu May 24, 2012 05:23 pm

I did loose weight so woo hoo! BP was elevated though, so we'll do our regular 24hr this week and hope it comes out same or better. I did fail my 1hr GTT, that is the pits. Is there any relation between pre-e and GD? I'm hopeful my 3 hr will come back normal.
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri May 25, 2012 09:24 am

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there, and I hope things stay stable for many more weeks.

Diabetes & even PCOS are risk factors for pre-e. One study found treatment of even mild gestational diabetes lowered pre-e rates: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37350&p=35668. The study might be something to discuss with your doc.

I have known women who (barely) failed one hour and went on to pass 3 hour test. Good luck, let us know how your 3 hour test goes.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri May 25, 2012 06:51 pm

Thanks! I'm keeping all crossables crossed that we pass the 3 hour with flying colors... because if we don't I will feel so guilty that I took the 1 hour so late since all this baby seems to crave is sugar!!

That study is interesting. I wonder how the conditions relate to one another. If we do have it I will be sure to keep it under control, and even if we don't, I'm cutting out the ridiculously delicious dark chocolate covered acai that baby seems to make me eat every night before bed. :oops:
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced