Alternative diagnosis

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Forum Moderator

Re: Alternative diagnosis

Postby alviarin » Fri May 18, 2012 02:48 pm

The diagnostic criteria for preeclampsia is still at least 300 mg proteinura in a 24 hour urine test plus two high BP readings at least six hours apart (140/90 or above, either number).

However, our experts have said any significant increase in pressures (30/15) above normal non-pregnant baseline is of concern and warrants closer monitoring. We had at least one poster who progressed to eclampsia without pressures quite getting to the research cut-off of 140/90, with a low non-pregnant baseline. And it is possible (but rare) to get HELLP syndrome without having high pressures, but HELLP is usually diagnosed on the basis of bad bloodwork results. We have also had posters still dx'd with pre-e who didn't have time to do a 24 hour urine, since their condition was deteriorating rapidly.

I hope this helped answer your questions.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire ("mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Alternative diagnosis

Postby StrongMom » Fri May 18, 2012 07:15 am

I was recently told that the alternative method for IDing pree with 15-20 points above your baseline bp has been disproven and should not be used for a diagnosis. My question is does anyone have any information on this? Or has anyone been diagnosed via this method but didn't hit the 140/90 mark but definitely had preeclampsia or was diagnosed via this method but feels that the diagnosis was inaccurate? TIA
DS born 2010 at 37 week 5 lbs 13 oz due to pre-e

Return to “Ask the Experienced”