Ugggh!!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
angieb

Re: Ugggh!!!

Postby angieb » Tue May 22, 2012 10:38 am

StrongMom wrote:I have asked for all of my records multiple times, I have gotten a lot of them but not all. And can't seem to get any lab reports. :(

I know that generally that the outcomes are 'better' for mom for early delivery, but personally I would have rather risked my health than my son's. He was obviously born too early even though officially it was 37 weeks and spent a week in the nicu. I know it is about 'balance' but for me the whole nicu experience left me with ptsd. I would never willing put a child at risk of a nicu stay again. I know my experience does differ than a lot of other peoples' experiences and I know that many people are just happy to have survived, but for me that it not enough.I know that my SIL had a very good nicu experience considering they had 28 weekers. It is so hard knowing that watchful waiting could have possibly kept him out of the nicu or at least given him some more time to develop so he didn't end up there for as long or with as many 'issues' that he did.

Or you could have had a placental abruption and your son been stillborn before they could get him out- we have a person in our support group who abrupted and lost her daughter with her doctor right there. Sometimes it isn't a question of risking you vs. your son. You are both very much at risk and it can get very ugly, very quickly. We have some members here with similar stories. Too early vs. too late is a very fine line and you don't necessarily have a lot of warning or time before the situation can progress to "too late".

DS was born at 36 wks and never spent a minute in the NICU- he roomed in with us and has had no issues, our pediatrician doesn't even consider him a preemie. Not many 37 weekers need the NICU. I am sorry that your son did and that it was a traumatic experience for you. Still, I'd take a traumatic nicu experience over visiting our daughter's grave any day.

All that being said, I think questioning what happened, the decisions made, etc. is natural after the trauma of preeclampsia. I definitely did it.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

StrongMom

Postby StrongMom » Tue May 22, 2012 09:41 am

I have asked for all of my records multiple times, I have gotten a lot of them but not all. And can't seem to get any lab reports. :(

I know that generally that the outcomes are 'better' for mom for early delivery, but personally I would have rather risked my health than my son's. He was obviously born too early even though officially it was 37 weeks and spent a week in the nicu. I know it is about 'balance' but for me the whole nicu experience left me with ptsd. I would never willing put a child at risk of a nicu stay again. I know my experience does differ than a lot of other peoples' experiences and I know that many people are just happy to have survived, but for me that it not enough.I know that my SIL had a very good nicu experience considering they had 28 weekers. It is so hard knowing that watchful waiting could have possibly kept him out of the nicu or at least given him some more time to develop so he didn't end up there for as long or with as many 'issues' that he did.
DS born 2010 at 37 week 5 lbs 13 oz due to pre-e

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri May 18, 2012 02:58 pm

Sorry it sounds like you had a bad experience. You could always ask the hospital for a copy of your actual lab results and get a second opinion from another doc. Be warned though, sometimes they charge a fee, and you might not want all the notes just the lab results.

I'm not a doc so I can't really comment on whether you should have been delivered early or not, but I can share my personal experience. After getting severe pre-e at 38 weeks with my first we decided to induce for "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks with my second. I barely met the diagnostic criteria (just over 300 mg proteinura in a 24 hour urine plus some high BP readings), and my pressures were actually normal day of delivery, but we decided it was safter to induce sooner than wait for me to get sicker.

Also the recent HYPITAT study ("Hypertension and Pre-eclapmsia Intervention Trial At Term") found an improvement in maternal outcomes with induction at 37 weeks for hypertension or preclampsia without a significant difference in fetal outcomes. So a lot of doctors will reccomend earlier delivery for preeclampsia or gestational hypertension.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire ("mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

StrongMom

Ugggh!!!

Postby StrongMom » Fri May 18, 2012 07:27 am

Ok, so I have always questioned whether I had true preeclampsia or PIH. I was induced at 37 weeks for pree. Supposedly my labs had come back within the pree range (though I don't place a lot of confidence in this particular lab for a lot of reasons) Well, I went to my to my gp who works in the same hospital system. I had someone ask me about participating in a study because I was anemic, but it didn't sink in at the time because I was so concern about my baby in the nicu. So I asked her about my lab results while I was at the hospital. Her reply was that they were all within the normal range for everything!!!! :o :o :o :o So it is very possible that we went through the h@#$ that was my son's delivery and his stay in the nicu for nothing!!
DS born 2010 at 37 week 5 lbs 13 oz due to pre-e

Return to “Ask the Experienced”