will i make it to 36 weeks?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

will i make it to 36 weeks?

Postby librarymama09 » Sat May 19, 2012 09:47 pm

Sigh, this pregnancy just keeps getting more complicated. I'm on pregnancy #2 with a previous pre-e delivery of my dd at 37 wks. I've made it to 32 weeks (yay!) with this baby boy but started having severe headaches, blurred vision, dizziness and weakness starting at 24 weeks. My BP fluctuates from the 110s/80s laying down on my left to 150s/90s when I so much as sit up to go to the bathroom. I'm on bedrest with vicodin for the headache. Oh, and when I started having URQP at 30 weeks the doc checked everything and determined my.gallbladder is acting up. It seems every week something gets worse. My doc is trying to get me to 36 weeks and is keeping a tight eye on me. My concern is will I make it that far? I'm in constant pain and every time I go into L&D my bp is taken on my left and they.pronounce me okay to go home. I'm afraid of trusting those numbers since it is so bad at home or upright. What should I say to my doc or ask to make sure nothing gets overlooked?
librarymama09

Re: will i make it to 36 weeks?

Postby alviarin » Tue May 22, 2012 03:52 pm

Yikes it sounds like you are going through a lot. How are you doing today?

Here is a link to an "Ask the Expert" response on how blood pressure should be taken:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... f=19&t=321

Has the doc given you any advice on what symptoms or pressures to call-in vs. go straight to L&D?

What makes the doc think it is gallbladder pain? Have you had any blood drawn recently for Pre-e/PIH/HELLP labs?
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby librarymama09 » Wed May 23, 2012 05:14 pm

My doc told me to head to L&D if my bp hit 140/90. It has been consistantly 140s over high 80s since Monday. Before that it would maybe hit the 140/80s mark every few days once a day and go back down to 120s/80s. Today it hit 173/87 before coming back down to 140s again. My doc said I didn't have to call, just head to L&D if it hit 140/90. The nurses in L&D all seem to think I am fine as long as that bottom number doesn't hit 90. Even then they treat me like I'm just stressing out and I'm fine. I'm not fine, my head is exploding without vicodin, I'm nauseated all the time, my side is in a lot of pain and I'm constantly dizzy and blurry visioned. My husband has to help me walk to the bathroom because I'm too weak at times to get up and I'm afraid I'll collapse if I do. But I feel like if I go in again they are just going to do the same stuff again and send me home, which just makes me mad. I have to be spilling protien or have a 90 for th bottom number before they get serious. I did have all the liver, protien labs done @31 weeks to check for hellp plus an ultrasound of my gallbladder which showed sludge but was negitive for hellp.

I'm not upset with my doc, I think.she is doing everything she can ... I'm more upset with L&D because they seem to operate differently and since my doc isn't always the one on call they don't know my history I think they aren't aware of just how sick I feel ... I just know this is not right. I shouldn't feel this sick. If I sit up for 15 mins I have a roaring migraine and want to throw up.
librarymama09

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 23, 2012 05:49 pm

Oh no. I'm so sorry you feel so junk! I do hope you'll go in. Maybe give your regular ob a call and have them prep the l&d dr and team for what she wants done...
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby librarymama09 » Wed May 23, 2012 06:16 pm

That's a good idea. Sadly another thing I'm experiencing is some confusion so I actually didn't think about that. I want to make it to 36 weeks but I also.don't want to seize or stroke out either.
librarymama09

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 23, 2012 07:16 pm

Aww momma, that's not fun at all. I hope if and when you do go in you'll have some family support to help advocate for you. I know so often they rush you to make decisions when you're there. You can always make hubby or someone else the "difficult one" and have them say, "Ok, thanks for your opinion, we'd like to talk about it or call our OB and we'll get back to you." Just because they want to rush you out of there or brush you off doesn't mean you have to let 'em. And if they insist on telling you you're ok b/c your bp normal on your left side I would start sitting up when they knock on the door. ;) Or... when you call ask your OB to make a notation that your BP is only to be taken seated.

Keep posted when you can.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 pm

If you are feeling like you need to be kept or watched more closely, I would just go in to your OB's office after leaving L&D. If your doctor sees you and sends you over there (instead of you going in on your own), maybe she can give orders more specifically for your care. If you are this uncomfortable with the way you feel, your doctor needs to know about it.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby librarymama09 » Thu May 24, 2012 01:13 pm

Called my docs office today and left message saying I want to speak to the doctor, not just the nurse. I'm pretty sure she is going to tell me to head to L&D but at least I will get to talk to her before the memorial day weekend. My mom wanted me to ask about a baby asprin. Can you do that when.pregnant? Also I am going to ask about BP meds. Will keep yall posted.
librarymama09

Postby JB » Thu May 24, 2012 03:52 pm

I have been taking baby aspirin since the beginning of my pregnancy, at the direction of my OB and MFM. I think the research is divided on whether or not it actually helps prevent PE, but I don't think there has been any evidence that shows it is dangerous. If you want to take it you should ask your doctor first, though. Some of the research I read said that it makes the most difference at the beginning of pregnancy, so I'm not sure if you'd get much benefit starting it now (if there is any benefit to it anyway).

I hope things are OK! It stinks having to go into labor and delivery over the holiday weekend, but it's better that you keep asking them to check on you if you still have bad symptoms, even if they keep sending you away.
1st - miscarried at 11 weeks in Dec. 2009
2nd - baby girl born Mar. 2011 at 29 weeks 6 days due to severe PE
3rd - baby boy due June 19th, 2012
JB

Postby librarymama09 » Fri May 25, 2012 05:07 am

Well, I'm in labor and.delivery overnight. My bp.was 163/96 when I walked and 109/58 on my left side. So obviously that's not a reliable number. Despite my bp stabilizing I still have a horrendous headache that is not responding to medicaton and nausea my doc wants me here overnight and nobody knows what happens next. Still not spilling.protien. At least before I got here I was able to.speak with my doc and.communicate 1st person what was going on. I think that really helped with the nurses actually paying attention.
librarymama09

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced