Indicators at Anatomy Scan

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Indicators at Anatomy Scan

Postby danaecgross » Sun May 20, 2012 08:10 am

Hello ladies!

I am pregnant again after having preeclampsia in 2010. My daughter was delivered at 35 weeks after a preeclampsia diagnosis 4 weeks prior. With her, she measured small from the first anatomy scan around 19-20 weeks. She was in the 13th percentile and when I came back for a remeasure a few weeks later, she had not changed. They just assumed she was going to be a small baby. It wasn't until 31 weeks that I had preeclampsia (although they jumped around that diagnosis until I delivered at 35) and she dropped below the 10th percentile.

Anyway, my anatomy for this baby is on Wednesday! I'm so nervous! All my labs have come back great (HELLP labs good, baseline 24 hour urine good, BP below 110/70, QUAD screen normal) and baby was measuring within a day or two at previous ultrasounds. The only things that comes back abnormal are my white blood count and an elevated creatinine clearance but I'm pretty sure those are normal values during pregnancy. I also had first trimester bleeding this time around (same with last pregnancy too).

So with all that said, what can I expect (or look out for) at my anatomy ultrasound? I already have my radar on for the size but what else relates to preeclampsia? Thanks so much for any input. It's really appreciated.
Danae
DD born 06/13/10 at 35 weeks, 4lbs 13oz, IUGR & Preeclampsia
PREGNANT AGAIN! EDD 10/18/12
danaecgross

Re: Indicators at Anatomy Scan

Postby alviarin » Tue May 22, 2012 05:00 pm

Good luck tomorrow!

I don't know all the answers, but I know at my high level ultrasound last week they were mainly looking at fetal size. (since I'm on BP meds they want to make sure there isn't any growth restriction). They were also checked for a three vessel cord and looked at blood flow. They were also checking out the heart and and nuchal fold translucency, but I think that had more to do with "Advanced Maternal Age" than a history of preeclampsia.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby danaecgross » Wed May 23, 2012 09:01 am

Okay, that's good to know!

I actually want to have a notebook and write down all the measurements that they take! I know it's a little extreme, but it's the "control freak" in me. During my last pregnancy, I was not well informed on testing and ultrasounds! I am probably annoying my drs... but I don't like NOT knowing. I have already requested and gotten copies of every lab so far in this pregnancy. Can you get ultrasound labs/info? Maybe I'll just go back and get them. I am excited to find out the gender, but I'm more anxious about the size, growth, placenta, etc. My ultrasound is in a few hours so I'll come back on and post what happened!
Danae
danaecgross

Postby mom29 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:24 am

It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask for a copy of the ultrasound report. I was routinely given a copy of my reports right away.
mom29

Postby danaecgross » Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 am

Baby measured right on track (well actually 1 day ahead) so that was great news! There were no other "issues" that they spoke of and said everything was normal. I did think that the ultrasound was SUPER FAST. I was in there for MAYBE 10 minutes. I thought they lasted longer than that.

All in all, everything went great. :)
Danae
danaecgross

Return to Ask the Experienced