Any stats/input for my brother and SIL?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Any stats/input for my brother and SIL?

Postby jean » Mon May 28, 2012 12:10 am

I had HELLP with my first at 28 wks. Then with my 2nd PE/HELLP never came.
My mom had toxemia w/me. She never had anything happen with my brother.
My question is, I know that sometimes pre-e can happen paternally....I'm wondering about chances and stats that my SIL would get this through my brother. Since my mom didn't have it wth my brother, I didn't know if his chances of passing it on would be more slim.
She also is on med. for siezures, so she already has some odds stacked against her in that aspect. I worry that this could cause more problems. I just wanted to see if anyone knew the likelihood of passing it on paternally. Esp. if it is a hereditary thing and his mom didn't have it with him.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Re: Any stats/input for my brother and SIL?

Postby caryn » Wed May 30, 2012 06:03 pm

Yes, they are at higher risk. Siblings born to women with a history of preeclampsia, even if they were products of normal pregnancy, have an elevated risk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18611258

These results suggest that the adverse pregnancy outcomes of preterm birth, PPROM, placental abruption, and pre-eclampsia aggregate in families, which may be explained in part by genetics.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jean » Wed May 30, 2012 09:14 pm

Caryn, do you know if the paternal risk is any less great than the maternal one?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

jean

Postby caryn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 09:17 am

That study doesn't speak to a difference in risk between genders, because they just looked at the set of "all siblings."

I did find this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... ool=pubmed

Sisters who were not themselves born after a pregnancy complicated by pre-eclampsia were none the less at increased risk of pre-eclampsia compared with women with no family history of pre-eclampsia (2.0, 1.7 to 2.3, table 2). For brothers not themselves born after a pre-eclamptic pregnancy, the risk of fathering a pre-eclamptic pregnancy was similar to that in men with no family history (1.1, 0.9 to 1.4).

So that looks encouraging!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jean » Fri Jun 01, 2012 09:53 pm

Oh good! Thank you for the info!

jean

Return to Ask the Experienced