Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Strange Blood Pressure... form of preeclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Strange Blood Pressure... form of preeclampsia?

Postby Kristy_Lochabay » Tue May 29, 2012 03:38 am

by Kristy_Lochabay (4 Posts), Tue May 29, 2012 03:38 am

I'm currently 31.5 weeks pregnant and I am hospitalized until I deliver. On May 8, 2012 I had an appointment with the MFM clinic and my blood pressure was 175/70 (my normal is about 122/70) and my sonogram showed the amniotic fluid was 6.5. I was admitted, did the 24 hour test and for 2 days my blood pressure was taken every hour. My blood pressure came down to the 120/70 range and my urine showed my protein was in the 100's. They said that wasn't even a little elevated. I went home and returned the the MFM on the 15th for a non-stress test. While on the monitor the baby had heart decelerations that were as low as the 60's (his baseline was 150). So I was admitted for monitoring and it was looking like I would be going home the next morning because everything was looking very good. In the middle of the night though, the nurse took my blood pressure and it had spiked a really scary jump to 224/99. I was such a weird thing! They gave me the steroid shot, started an IV and Labetalol and no change so they upped the dose a few times with no effect. For two hours my pressures were over 200 on the top but never over 99 on bottom. They were telling my we were going to have to deliver if they couldn't get it down. It took 3 kinds of medicine and mag. but finally my pressures came way down for about 8 hours and then back up to 170's on top. Some more medicine and then back to the 120's/60's. 24 hours passed and it didn't go back up. My 2nd 24hour urine came back 230 or something, not in the preeclampsia range. I had the 2nd shot of steroids and was taken off all the drugs and my pressures stayed low. I was sent to antepartum where I currently remain. For the most of these two weeks my pressures have stayed low, very low. But now, over the past 3 days my blood pressures have become very strange. yesterday I had a reading of 148/50. and another of 130/89. Today one reading was 109/77. My last one was 157/63. The doctors think we should start another medication to keep it low, but sometimes it is so low on it's own. I'm still in the hospital and they are keeping me until delivery because I have a history of complications in other pregnancies including preeclampsia, PIH, abruption which resulted in a stillborn at 35 weeks. My question is, can anyone relate to wildly swinging blood pressures like this? When I had preeclampsia in the past my pressures didn't come back down until I delivered and the numbers rose together like 160/103, 230/110...etc. What causes the huge variation ? Any input is appreciated. For the most part I feel fine, just very worried I'll lose another baby.

Kristy
Kristy_Lochabay

Re: Strange Blood Pressure... form of preeclampsia?

Postby angieb » Tue May 29, 2012 07:41 am

by angieb (1192 Posts), Tue May 29, 2012 07:41 am

First of all, you poor thing! I am so sorry that you are experiencing so much drama after losing a baby. That is really not fair.

Secondly, wow those are some crazy blood pressures.

My non-medical professional opinion is that your pressures are probably what is often called here on the forums "labile", where they swing up and down and all over the place while your body is trying to basically fight off pre-e or PIH. Eventually, they will likely "stabilize" higher (although meds may help) or turn into full-out preeclampsia.

I know being in the hospital sucks but I am glad they are keeping a close eye on you. My guess is with your history of abruption especially, their tolerance for delivery will be pretty low. While obviously no one wants a NICU baby if you can help it, it's good that they've given you steroids. My OB told me when I was pregnant with DS that in our area the survival rate of 28 weekers is 90%, so as far as early babies go, you are in decent territory at least. Hang in there. I will be thinking of you. Please keep us updated.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby Kristy_Lochabay » Tue May 29, 2012 09:48 pm

by Kristy_Lochabay (4 Posts), Tue May 29, 2012 09:48 pm

Thank you Angie. Today has been a crazy blood pressure/headache day. They gave me a med called Nifedipine which seems to have helped. I'm hoping to be able to make it to 35 weeks, it's going to be a long few weeks though! I keep having bad dreams about losing this baby. Is that common after a loss?
Kristy_Lochabay

Postby caryn » Wed May 30, 2012 05:49 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed May 30, 2012 05:49 pm

Very, very common.

You do sound labile to me as well. I'm glad they're keeping you - do they have you on monitors?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby Kristy_Lochabay » Sun Jun 03, 2012 06:24 am

by Kristy_Lochabay (4 Posts), Sun Jun 03, 2012 06:24 am

Not continual monitors. They take me down to the MFM testing by wheel chair every day for a non-stress test and amniotic fluid check by ultra sound. The nurses listen to the baby in my room twice a day, my blood pressure and vitals are taken every 4 hours. My urine is tested every Monday and my blood is drawn a couple times a week. The doctors come in daily. Other then that it is just bedrest in my hospital room. It's tough being here-- feels like forever until 35 weeks.
Kristy_Lochabay

Return to Ask the Experienced