Anybody know?!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Anybody know?!

Postby Ecrc84 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 01:15 pm

27 weeks today..... 26 week protein in the 300s. Bloodpressures normal. What could be going on? So scared to deliver this early.
Ecrc84

Re: Anybody know?!

Postby sam10 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 01:54 pm

Has any bloodwork been done? When I was hospitalized, my doctors always said that proteine alone is not enough for delivery.What have your doctors said? Have they let you know what it all means?
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Ecrc84 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 03:19 pm

They called me a week ago with the protein results. Just said modified bedrest and scheduled an appt for this week. So I havent been told a thing.
Ecrc84

Postby sam10 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 04:19 pm

Unfortunately not all healthcare providers give answers/info automatically. Some of them need a nudge, a direct question from the patient. Whenever I see/call a doctor I always bring along a notebook. It contains all my questions and then I add the docs'/nurses' answers (I tend to forget, especially when I am worried); and I don't leave before I get some answers. Perhaps you can call them, even before your appt, and ask what it all means? Are you seeing a MFM/peri or a regular ob or both?
We are not docs here, but that much I can tell you: The criteria for diagnosis is >300 protein in your urine (24h catch) and two readings of 140/90 or greater, measured on two separate occasions six hours apart. Also, bedrest seems to help some women, but has not been proven scientifically to necessarily change the overall outcome.

If no other symptoms are present your doctors might just be very careful and are trying to be proactive, keeping a close eye on you. Are you monitoring your BP at home and keeping a log? If not, I'd suggest you do so and present the log to your doc at your next appointment. I would also ask for bloodwork at your next appointment.

How are you feeling otherwise?

Here is a list of signs to look out for: www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Ecrc84 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 05:41 pm

I check my bp 3x a day. Been 110-120/67-75. No other symptoms. Had severe pre e 4 years ago that wasnt caught til day I had to have c section at 32 weeks. I'm on labetelol 100mg/2x a day and have been since I had my son 4 years ago.
Ecrc84

Postby angieb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 05:49 pm

Have you had your protein levels checked since your last pregnancy, or previously in this pregnancy?

It could be that you have some kind of underlying kidney issue that is causing you to spill protein but it may not really be related to pre-eclampsia.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby Ecrc84 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 06:13 pm

Thats the thing.... this was my first 24-hour urine done, ever. None last pregnancy and this ob didn't have me do a baseline this pregnancy. All she told me last week was modified bedrest and keep eye on bp. I pretty much have put myself on strict bedrest.... well, as strict as it can be with my slmost 4 year old son. I have a growth scan tomorrow, then ob appt thursday. Praying for the best since I am just now 27 weeks.
Ecrc84

Postby angieb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 06:20 pm

Ecrc84 wrote:Thats the thing.... this was my first 24-hour urine done, ever. None last pregnancy and this ob didn't have me do a baseline this pregnancy. All she told me last week was modified bedrest and keep eye on bp. I pretty much have put myself on strict bedrest.... well, as strict as it can be with my slmost 4 year old son. I have a growth scan tomorrow, then ob appt thursday. Praying for the best since I am just now 27 weeks.

Ah, it wouldn't be unheard of that you have some underlying kidney issues, or perhaps it's normal for you to spill some protein in pregnancy. It's too bad they didn't test you sooner in your pregnancy or between your pregnancies to make sure your kidneys were back to normal, so you'd have a better idea if this is related to this pregnancy specifically or something you've been dealing with all along without knowing it.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby sam10 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 08:06 pm

I assume you have been monitored for your BP for the past 4 years? If you are already on BP medication prior to 20 weeks (meaning if you wouldn't take it your BP would be high) you are considered a chronic. I would definitely ask the doctor if you are considered diagnostic at this point; and ask for blood work. If you are not seen by a MFM, perhaps this might be a good idea also. Let us know how your appointments will go. Thinking of you.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Ecrc84 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 08:22 pm

Yeah, bp meds for 4 years. I am at point where I would rather be on hospital bedrest so I could be monitored around the clock. All I can do at home is check my blood pressure. I don't want a 27 weeker, but I also don't want to risk my life and the babys by playing the waiting game. I saw a mfm once my last pregnancy and they weren't a bit concerned about me. Then I went on to have my son via emergency c-section 3 weeks later
Ecrc84

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced