Post Reply FAQ Members Login

High blood pressure and BP medication.Need help! I am scared

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

High blood pressure and BP medication.Need help! I am scared

Postby corinne_sweden » Fri Jun 08, 2012 02:39 pm

by corinne_sweden (3 Posts), Fri Jun 08, 2012 02:39 pm

Hi,

I need help, I am terrified...

I am now starting mÿ week 33 and have had a rising BP throughout my pregnancy: started at 135/85 (I guess I have mild hypertension, though I did not know about it), going up to 145/95 week 28 (my doctor did not take any action except working 50% as an increase of 10mm was not considered high), and now this week up to 150/105...All the urine and blood analyses came back normal.

I am an anxious person so the doctor wants to put me on BP med to decrease my BP as well as my anxiety.
I am scared at the effects of those BP medicine.

Do you have experience of going with BP medicine in the last trimester and good outcomes? It would help me so much with testimonies...I feel so scared with this first pregnancy...

Thanks for your answer!

Corinne
corinne_sweden

Re: High blood pressure and BP medication.Need help! I am sc

Postby JB » Fri Jun 08, 2012 02:57 pm

by JB (57 Posts), Fri Jun 08, 2012 02:57 pm

Hi Corinne,

I am very surprised that your doctor has not been more proactive about your rising blood pressure. Have you been monitoring your blood pressure at home? My blood pressure is usually higher in the doctor's office so my doctor goes by my home readings, which are consistently in an OK range. I don't know about the standards for diagnosing preeclampsia in Sweden (I assume by your user name that you are in Sweden.. is that correct?), but 145/95 is considered high for pregnancy here in the US, and 150/105 is very high. I think it is a good thing your doctor wants you to go on BP meds, but I also think you need to be monitored more closely with blood pressures that high. Have you done a 24-hour urine test, or just the office single dip tests? The office tests are not as reliable as a 24-hour catch, and here in the US the result of the 24-hour test is one of the factors used to determine if you have preeclampsia. Are you able to go to labor and delivery at the hospital and be evaluated by the physicians/midwives there?
1st - miscarried at 11 weeks in Dec. 2009
2nd - baby girl born Mar. 2011 at 29 weeks 6 days due to severe PE
3rd - baby boy due June 19th, 2012
JB

Postby corinne_sweden » Fri Jun 08, 2012 03:09 pm

by corinne_sweden (3 Posts), Fri Jun 08, 2012 03:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your answer!

I got the protein dips to check at home and I was told to monitor my BP at home after my visit at 28 weeks when my BP went high. The doctor told me that a diastolic around 95-100 was fine for him since I started around 85. I have been around 95 from weeks 28 --> 32 but started noticing I was more around 100 -105 the past few days. That's why I called them again.

They tested the urine again (I am testing it every day, and no trace of proteins) as well as fetal movements - which was fine.
The growth seems ok too.

I got a BP called Atenolol 100mg to take every night, but they think that it is enough for now. I am a really anxious person with a white coat syndrome. I know I stressup myself a lot.

Do you think they should have kept me for observation?

Corinne
corinne_sweden

Postby JB » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 pm

by JB (57 Posts), Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Diastolic blood pressure in the 100-105 range is quite high. I'm not a doctor, so I really don't know for sure that they should be keeping you in for observation, but if I had home readings at those levels and my doctor's office wasn't monitoring me I would go into labor and delivery and have them monitor me. Sometimes different doctors have different approaches/criteria, and I would want a second opinion. Are they doing nonstress tests, or just kick counts when they are checking fetal movement? Also, are they checking your fluid levels regularly? My doctor is doing weekly fluid ultrasounds and twice-weekly nonstress tests, and my blood pressure readings are nowhere near as high as yours (nor have they risen more than 5 points or so since the start of my pregnancy).
1st - miscarried at 11 weeks in Dec. 2009
2nd - baby girl born Mar. 2011 at 29 weeks 6 days due to severe PE
3rd - baby boy due June 19th, 2012
JB

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 09:42 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Jun 13, 2012 09:42 am

How are you doing today, Corrine?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced