Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New hear and worried

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New hear and worried

Postby Brghtgrl » Thu Jul 05, 2012 07:18 pm

by Brghtgrl (3 Posts), Thu Jul 05, 2012 07:18 pm

This is my second pregnancy and with my first I was fine up until I was 39 weeks when my BP jumped went to 140/80. This pregnancy has been completely different. I am 34 weeks and need to vent/get some advice. I really think my Dr is sugar coating everything so I (and my mother who works at the same hospital and runs into at work often) don't worry. At about 23 weeks I went in with very severe headaches and nausea. My BP at that time was 150/92 and I was spilling trace amounts of protean. The on call Dr gave me something for the headaches and nausea and after some blood work I was told to keep my appointment the next week. Since then my BP has normally been in the 140s/90's but has been has been lower and higher depending on the day. My mother is now checking it at least once a day to help keep track (a plus to having a mom who is a RN and lives down the street). On June 19th at my regular appointment I had a 2+ and my BP was 140 something/ 92. He sent me to L&D to be monitored and said be prepared to stay for a while and also had me start a 24 hour urine test. L&D my BP went back down to a healthy range and said everything was looking good on their end as far as blood work and everything. The results for the 24 hour was slightly over 300 (I heard him say a higher number when writing it down but he told me 300) and he told me 300 was the cut off for "normal". He then started having me come in every week and do NST and I will continue to do so till I deliver. He also told me that he will induce me in about 5 or 8 weeks (at about 37/38 weeks). Last week since he was out of town the other Dr in his practice prescribed me Aldomet (500mg twice a day). Today my Dr seemed pleased that it looked like I was stable. I only has trace amounts of protean and my BP was 143/93. The NST looked good to him as well. He then confirmed that he was going to induce me by 38 weeks but I was to be prepared that if any thing changed for the worse that he would induce me right then. I just don't know what to do I am so worried. Any advice is welcome.
Brghtgrl

Re: New hear and worried

Postby aajatwins » Thu Jul 05, 2012 09:50 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Thu Jul 05, 2012 09:50 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
Your worry is understandable. You do sound like you're progressing PE-wise rather slowly, so that is awesome. Things can always change in that regard, but now is the time to be thankful that things are moving slowly. Many women are diagnosed and go on weeks and weeks without any real change or serious decline, and then deliver without hiccups. Obviously, we don't all have that experience, but it is possible.
I would just be straightforward with your doctor- let him know your concern and your desire for real info. Let him know that it stresses you to feel like you don't have all the info. What worked for me was telling my doc that I knew whatever she said she *thought* might happen was not the be all and end all, but that it made me feel better to think about possible scenarios and what actions we might take depending on what might happen. I know some docs don't like those conversations, though.
Your doctors seem to be very proactive and that is one of the best things you can have going for you!! You also sound like you know the signs and symptoms to look for and that is another must-have. If you think things are changing or getting worse at all, tell you doc - it sounds like they will not hesitate to induce you, if need be. Overall, you are in a good place pregnancy-wise and it sounds like you have a good doctors. You just may need to work on getting the communication flowing more with them so that you are more comfortable.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced