29+5 and probably PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

29+5 and probably PE

Postby Bookwyrm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 08:49 pm

We went to visit the in-laws drive from West Texas to Illinios. Well on the drive home somewhere in the middle of no-where Nebraska I started feeling off, I had brown floaties in my vision. We stopped at the nearest rest stop and took my BP 180/? So one call to the doc and we were on our way to the nearest ER. Got rehydrated and BP's went down, blood sugar was normal, no protein in my urine so they let the trip continue 2 more days of driving and we were home.

I followed up with my MD on Wed (29+4) BP was 138/86 2+ protein and I had gained 15 lbs in 2 weeks. Into the hospital that afternoon for a NonStress Test and my first steroid shot then home on bedrest. Well I am monitoring my BPs at home and just got 158/105 no other symptoms though. I am supposed to go back to the hospital tomorrow for a 2nd NST and steroid shot. At this point I am not sure what to think.
Bookwyrm

Re: 29+5 and probably PE

Postby blythe » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 pm

It sounds to not-a-doc me that you've met diagnostic criteria for PE and they're giving steroids expecting an early delivery. Average time from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks, but we've had women stay safely pregnancy for months - or women who've crashed in hours. Please keep track of your signs and symptoms, especially headache that doesn't go away with tylenol, visual changes, pain under the right ribs, and decreased baby movement.

In your shoes I'd ask my doctor what my diagnosis is and what my treatment plan and prognosis is.

If they continue to let you stay home I'd also ask what bps they want you to call about, and what bps they would just want you to come straight to L&D for.

This is a whirlwind, please ask whatever questions you need to ask, we'll do our best!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Return to Ask the Experienced