Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What is considered High Blood Pressure?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What is considered High Blood Pressure?

Postby danaecgross » Tue Jul 24, 2012 01:05 pm

by danaecgross (20 Posts), Tue Jul 24, 2012 01:05 pm

I know that diagnostic criteria for preeclampsia is a blood pressure of 140/90 on two separate occasions plus proteinuria but my question is about the blood pressure...

Does blood pressure have to be 140/90 (both diastolic and systolic high) OR would high blood pressure count if diastolic OR (not and) systolic pressures are high? For example, I read this on another website:

a 140 mm Hg or higher systolic or 90 mm Hg or higher diastolic after 20 weeks of gestation in a woman with previously normal blood pressure. Systolic increased > 30 mm Hg or diastolic increased > 15 mm Hg in a patient with preexisting chronic hypertension.

Also, it states that the 30/15 increase is for chronic hypertensives...what is the protocol for those with naturally lower pressure readings?

THANKS in advance for clearing this up for me :)
Danae
DD born 06/13/10 at 35 weeks, 4lbs 13oz, IUGR & Preeclampsia
PREGNANT AGAIN! EDD 10/18/12
danaecgross

Re: What is considered High Blood Pressure?

Postby lemons » Tue Jul 24, 2012 03:02 pm

by lemons (77 Posts), Tue Jul 24, 2012 03:02 pm

Since the systolic and diastolic blood pressures are measuring different phenomenon in your body, the diagnostic criteria for PE is if EITHER the systolic is 140 or greater OR the diastolic is 90 or greater. Because the systolic and diastolic BP are inter-related, most times the two numbers will increase together so that most hypertension has both numbers at or greater than 140/90.

I don't know for sure about the increase in chronic hypertension. I think that the treatment thresholds (ie. taking BP meds) is different for chronics vs non-chronics, but I don't think the diagnostic criteria is different. PE superimposed on chronic hypertension is a tricky, tricky condition.

A rise in BP of 30/15 is actually more important for a woman starting with a LOW BP (not a chronic). Prior to 2000, PE was diagnosed in anyone with a rise in BP of 30/15 from their individual baseline (as long as they also met the proteinuria criteria and/or had significant edema or swelling). But that diagnostic criteria is now outdated. See the "Woking Group Report on High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy" (http://www.preeclampsia.org/images/pdf/ ... rchive.pdf). Instead, the official diagnostic criteria is that BP has to be 140/90 (either number) or greater. However, the physicians that made the newer recommendations for diagnostic criteria cautioned that any women with a rise of 30/15 should be closely monitored for any additional indications of PE.
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.
lemons

Return to Ask the Experienced