Update and Question - PIH postpartum

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Update and Question - PIH postpartum

Postby growlie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 07:23 pm

My sweet little boy was born a week ago at 37 weeks. He was 5 lbs 14 oz and completely perfect. No NICU time, and we are in love.

I ended up with an emergency c-section when baby's heart rate decelerated. We don't know why this happened, but he was not harmed by it.

I did not escape the mag sulfate. It did burn, made me hot, gave me blurred vision and generally didn't feel great. I still couldn't see clearly and was hot for 2-3 days after it was stopped.

Immediately after deliverly, the labetalol I had been put on the week before was stopped. Since being home, my BPs have been 140s over about 103-104. I called the on-call dr. about it and was told not to worry until it was 170s over 110s consistently or had chest pain, shortness of breath or a severe headache. I have an appointment scheduled for a BP check. I am hoping they will put me on some BP medicine until it is back under control.

What was your experience with PIH treatment postpartum?

Thank you to everyone for helping me get through this scary time! I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses and support over the last few weeks.
growlie

Re: Update and Question - PIH postpartum

Postby hillary8l8 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 08:14 pm

Congratulations! My OB was insistent that I stay on the Labetalol after the birth of my daughter. My BP took about 3 weeks to come back down and I came off of the Labetalol at that time. It later went back up outside of pregnancy, and that is why I am now considered chronic. I had lost quite a bit of weight after having my daughter ( after I had her I weighed 15 pounds less than when I became pregnant), so I think that is probably why my blood pressure came down so well. Anyway, so glad to hear all is going well!
Miscarriage at 8 weeks- 5/09
Abby born 37 weeks 4 days on 3/25/10 due to PIH and IUGR- 5 lbs 0.5 oz
Chemical Pregnancy lost at 5.5 weeks- 3/11
Pregnant again due Sept. 3 (now chronic hypertensive and on Labetalol)
hillary8l8

Postby sam10 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 09:48 pm

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your little one. I stayed on BP medication for approx. 3 weeks postpartum and was then slowly weaned off under the supervision of my primary care. My doctor also explained to me that outside of pregnancy the BP thresholds are higher. But if your BP stays at your current level, I'd ask the doctor if you need meds.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 02:59 pm

Congrats on the birth of your son!

I also had high pressures postpartum after the birth of my second child. My OB at the time wasn't very good at dealing with my postpartum blood pressure, I had much better luck talking to my GP. If your pressures are still running that high today you could talk to your GP and get a second opinion. Personally I wasn't comfortable walking around with a distolic in the 100s.

We have had some posters who have even seen an internal medicine doc or a cardiologist postpartum because of rough recoveries or lingering high blood pressure. You are still pretty close to delivery though, you might want to try your GP first.

Good luck, please keep us posted as you are able!
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced