Post Reply FAQ Members Login

rising uric acid

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

rising uric acid

Postby hillary8l8 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 04:48 pm

by hillary8l8 (146 Posts), Wed Aug 15, 2012 04:48 pm

I was just wondering if your blood uric acid has to be out of range to be abnormal, or is a rising uric acid with high blood pressure of concern?
Miscarriage at 8 weeks- 5/09
Abby born 37 weeks 4 days on 3/25/10 due to PIH and IUGR- 5 lbs 0.5 oz
Chemical Pregnancy lost at 5.5 weeks- 3/11
Pregnant again due Sept. 3 (now chronic hypertensive and on Labetalol)
hillary8l8

Re: rising uric acid

Postby hillary8l8 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am

by hillary8l8 (146 Posts), Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am

Just wanted to add some details...I'm looking for some comfort here if at all possible because I am very anxious. I had an appointment yesterday when I was 37+2 weeks. I'm on 200 mg twice a day Labetalol, and my BP was 140/100 sitting up, but dropped to 120s/80s laying on back and left side. Protein dip was normal. Last pregnancy, I was admitted at 36 weeks, and induced at 37 because of PIH (same Labetalol dose, high BP, no significant protein in urine, labs all good, daughter IUGR). I am doing my second 24 hour urine now, last was a baseline at 29 weeks. Labs were all good except uric acid is rising. I have had a headache for the past 2 weeks that isn't helped by Tylenol, progressively getting worse. Started seeing "flashers" throughout the last week. Made midwife aware of all of this. I'm just having a terrible time understanding why my case was handled so differently last pregnancy by the same group. I did have an OB last time, and have a midwife this time, but the OB I had last pregnancy is now semi-retired, and only work every 3rd week, so I couldn't get in to see him again. I don't have another appointment until next Wednesday, and I woke up with what appeared to be slight facial swelling (around my eyes is where I notice it the most) but not severe by any means. My midwife actually mentioned letting me go into labor on my own, which I would love, but am very apprehensive of letting things go that long. I'm just very anxious right now (which I'm sure isn't helping anything) and wondering what exactly I should be watching for or do. Thanks for reading:)
Miscarriage at 8 weeks- 5/09
Abby born 37 weeks 4 days on 3/25/10 due to PIH and IUGR- 5 lbs 0.5 oz
Chemical Pregnancy lost at 5.5 weeks- 3/11
Pregnant again due Sept. 3 (now chronic hypertensive and on Labetalol)
hillary8l8

Postby sam10 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am

My doctors said that uric acid won't deliver me. Having said that, I am a bit worried that you are not being seen by a doctor. Do you have the possibility to see another doctor? If not, can you go straight to L&D, so they can take a look at you and check on you? Waiting until your next appointment seems a bit too long.
Facial swelling and visual disturbances are both concerning, and your BP seems high as well.

You also want to watch for headaches that won't go away with Tylenol, URQ pain and nausea, and vomiting.

Here is a link to all the symptoms and signs:http://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms

Will be thinking of you.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby lemons » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 am

by lemons (75 Posts), Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 am

Hi there. I agree with what Julija/Sam10 has said about seeing a physician and/or going in to L&D. And I wanted to make sure that you are familiar with the HYPITAT study from 2009 (http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)60736-4/abstract). The study concluded that women with hypertension during pregnancy had better maternal outcomes with delivery at 37 weeks (with no difference in neonatal outcomes) versus waiting until later in the pregnancy. Since you are past 37 weeks, on BP meds and reporting additional symptoms, I would think that the HYPITAT study would be applicable to your situation. I hope that you will consider going into L&D (where the physicians should be aware of this study) to get a good check up today. And in your shoes, I would probably ask how the HYPITAT study relates to your case.

Good luck and keep us posted as you are able.
Diana, happily married since 2007.
Miscarriage at 10 weeks (June 2009).
DD at 30+0 weeks weighing 2lbs 9oz (October 2010) due to PE and IUGR. Today, a happy and healthy toddler.
lemons

Return to Ask the Experienced