Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Never knew

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Never knew

Postby Jessica1219 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 03:31 pm

by Jessica1219 (3 Posts), Thu Aug 16, 2012 03:31 pm

Hi
I recently had a csection on August 2nd.. Everything seemed to go fine..a few hours after the csection I lost feeling in my left arm, had slurred speech and facial drop..we thought I had a stroke, but the tests came back clear..I was sent home & a few days later was rushed back to the er..I landed up having 5grand mal seizures.. I had Mris ct scan amino test & EEG & came back clear.. I had very distorted vision..which is a little bit better now..the drs are kinda baffled.. I didn't have high bp..& told me I had johns palsy & post partum vasculopathy.. Anyone that has any input would be great..I'm on kreppra & nifedipine..I'm feeling much better but very foggy..
Thanks
Jessica
Jessica1219

Re: Never knew

Postby caryn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:38 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:38 pm

Oh my, what a rough recovery you are having. It sure sounds like postpartum eclampsia to not-a-doc me...

Recovery from seizures can take several weeks, as your body mops up the chemicals that cause the symptoms and repairs the damage they cause. Some of us have unmasked chronic conditions postpartum. Eclampsia doesn't always go along with hypertension - researchers are trying to figure out what's different about cases where we seize and cases where we stroke - and isn't very well understood.

Please keep us posted as you recover and ask any questions you have - we have many posters who seized, and some who never presented with high pressures.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby Jessica1219 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 am

by Jessica1219 (3 Posts), Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 am

It's so Wierd.. I'm feeling much better now.. The only thing I'm feeling now is a little loopy, I'm guessing from the meds? My eyesight is normal, no weakness or facial droop, no slurred speech..I go back to the drs on the 22nd. I'm just so confused how this cudve happened..& how I'm feeling so much better all of a sudden..
Thanks for your response..
Jessica
Jessica1219

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 02:54 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Tue Aug 21, 2012 02:54 pm

Usually it's because labor dumps some chemicals into your system that cause a lot of rapid damage, and then after the placenta's out your body mops up those chemicals and repairs the damage from them. Researchers have been able to work out at least some of how this works, but since there's no way to remove the placenta without ending the pregnancy and the standard way of removing placentas is labor, it isn't obvious how to prevent these syndromes.

Good to hear that you are getting better - please keep us posted on your appointment tomorrow.
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby Jessica1219 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:08 pm

by Jessica1219 (3 Posts), Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:08 pm

Hi
I'm feeling about the same, still foggy.. So no real news, just wondering how long this will last?
Jessica1219

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 09:33 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Sep 05, 2012 09:33 am

Sometimes it can be a side effect from the medication, sometimes it is just postpartum recovery and can take a while - are you still on both those meds? Many of our posters have reported that they didn't really feel better for the better part of a year, and that's not necessarily just women who've had seizures. Seizures usually mean recovery will take longer than you'd like. :(

caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced