Will I get through this again

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Will I get through this again

Postby proberge » Fri Oct 26, 2012 00:26 am

I had HELLP syndrome with my first at 35 weeks. Normal pregnancy with my 2nd 40 weeks. Acute fatty liver with my third at 33 weeks and HELLP with my fourth at 34 weeks. All health normal children and I am grateful for that. Now I am pregnant again, not planned, and I am afraid that I may not be so lucky this time. I am over 40, slightly overweight and have had PE in the past, some of the risk factors are there. How do I prepare my children for a new sibling knowing what I am facing. My kids are 7, 6, 5 and 2.5
proberge

Re: Will I get through this again

Postby alviarin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:48 am

Well, with this last pregnancy I didn't tell my kids anything about preeclampsia until the doc put me on restricted activity. I did find out later that my 8 year old had already overheard me discussing things with my husband though and was a little worried about the baby.

I had lots of extra doctor's appointments due to chronic hypertension, then gestational diabetes and polyhadramnious. Plus "advanced maternal age". I wound up on modified bedrest once my pressures/ protein levels were high. I just explained to them I got sick with my first pregnancy, so they were watching me closely this time. And I was taking it easy just to be safe. And that the worse that would happen is that the baby would be born a little earlier than expected.

Honestly my 6 year old didn't really seem to understand, wasn't worried, just more bored we couldn't get out and do as much fun stuff.

Personally I wouldn't tell them much beyond normal preparing for a sibling. And in your shoes I might look into some summer camps early next year to keep the kiddos occupied during the day for when you are closer to your due date.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced