Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Post HELLP Syndrome and wanting another

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Post HELLP Syndrome and wanting another

Postby koontzbound » Mon Nov 05, 2012 05:55 pm

by koontzbound (3 Posts), Mon Nov 05, 2012 05:55 pm

I am almost 2 years post hellp syndrome with my first son. I have always wanted a large family but am questioning what to do? I developed what I thought was a GI flu around 29 weeks and turns out I had preclampsia with the possibility of HELLP syndrome but the doctor was waiting for the tests. I ended up getting steroids to mature my sons lungs among a ton of other medication and was transported to a larger hospital with the ability to care for me and my soon to be delivered son. I was diagnosed with preclampsia and HELLP syndrome . My son was delivered at 29 weeks weighing 2lb. 1oz and 13 3/4 inches. Needed to be intubted for approx. 3 hours until my lil boy pulled it out. Very fiesty from the begining. My son ended up spending 41 days in the NICU without any major complications and then home to us. My husband and I really want another baby but are scared it could happen again. My OB didnt say much to ease my fears and my family is not very supportive at the notion of me having another baby. Anyone have a similar situation or any suggestions?
koontzbound

Re: Post HELLP Syndrome and wanting another

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Nov 06, 2012 06:56 am

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Tue Nov 06, 2012 06:56 am

Hello. Although I did not have HELLP I did have severe preeclampsia and had to deliver my son emercency classical csection at 26 weeks . Both my son and I were very sick. Sadly after a 4 month long battle in the Nicu we lost our baby boy. It is also 2 years later for me. I will be 28 weeks pregnant this friday. My doc did not say much to ease our minds about trying again either. I remember going to several and each one had a different opinion and gave me a different percentage rate of getting it again. The truth is they do not really know for sure which is why pre-e and HELLP still remain the big mystery. I remember one doctor said to me , if you were 25 years old and in perfect health with no history, I still couldnt sit here and tell you everything will be ok. Pregnancy is the greatest miracle and mystery in the world and each one is unique in that it is different from the last. There is no guarentee with any pregnancy .

So, here I am at 40 years of age pregnant again . I am almost 2 weeks further then my 1st pregnancy. So far, things are going well. I realize anything could quickly change so I do my best to keep moving foward and take each day as it comes. It isn't easy and I am scared alot, but the feeling I had of not trying again and never knowing outweighed my fears. My family was terrified when I told them all I was pregnant again. As time has passed they are all on board and have been supportive . They are just afraid for us and that's understandable.
In my first pregnancy I also develpoed what we thought was a GI flu after that everything went downhill. This pregnancy has been so different in so many ways! I know it is not an easy decision to make and only you can decide. I hope this has helped you some. You are not alone, we here understand.
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby koontzbound » Tue Nov 06, 2012 06:55 pm

by koontzbound (3 Posts), Tue Nov 06, 2012 06:55 pm

It helps a lot knowing others feel the same as me. Im so sorry for the loss of your little boy. And i wish nobody would go thru anything like this. Nobody in my family understands what ive gone thru, they have all had normal healthy pregnancies and think i am crazy. I hope your pregnancy goes well and that you have a beautiful healthy baby. Your story helps a lot.
koontzbound

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:06 am

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:06 am

Thank you, I am so happy it helped you. I know how alone you feel in this, I felt that way too. Thats when you reach out to places like this. I also found a local support group that meets monthly, this was a big help. Stay strong and focused on what you feel is right for you. :)
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Return to Ask the Experienced