Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New member, scared to try again!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New member, scared to try again!

Postby Dancingqueenjen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 07:28 am

by Dancingqueenjen (2 Posts), Wed Dec 19, 2012 07:28 am

I gave birth by emergency c section on January 31st 2011 at 33 weeks. My little boy spent 17 days in scbu. I had pre eclampsia, eclampsia and hello, I am also rhesus negative, allergic to latex and can not take any codine or anti inflammatory medication. My son and I were kept in different hospitals for the first 2 days of his life as I was too sick to move and they needed the baby bed for a smaller baby. It was a very difficult time for my husband running between 2 hospitals seeing his tiny baby and very sick wife. After I had started on the road to recovery we were told some very tough facts about our chances of having another child and resigned ourselves to loving the angel we had been blessed with. Jonathan is turning 2 in January and all of my mummy friends are talking or are already pregnant with number 2 and I find myself longing. I have an appointment to take to my gp about our options, we looked into adoption which seems near impossible and then I stumbled upon some success stories on here and so I am wondering could this be possible for us or would it be selfish of me to try, like playing Russian roulette. I am scared of the pain and all the needles and drugs I had to go through the first time, scared of being parted once again from my baby, scared of bringing into the world a baby too small to survive and having to watch it slip away. How can I know what is right and wrong and whether we should just try? I hope to hear from some of you to help me gain some perspective.
Thanks Jennifer
Dancingqueenjen

Re: New member, scared to try again!

Postby EmilyBear » Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:17 pm

by EmilyBear (22 Posts), Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:17 pm

Hi Jennifer,

I can relate to your worry and anxiety. On May 25, I lost my little Emily at 34 weeks when I developed preeclampsia and had a massive placenta abruption. The doctor told us that as long as a year had gone by before we gave birth again, it would be ok. Needless to say, we decided to start trying again and we are pregnant again. I am due in July. I am having a difficult time showing any emotion this time around, since I experienced such heartache the first time. Last time, we had everything ready and I spent as many days as possible at Babies R Us but this time, I'm having a difficult time getting excited. This time I have an MFM and know that my care will be far superior to last time but knowing that I cannot prevent this disease is killing me. How do others keep themselves calm and dare I say excited about a new baby when their first baby died so unexpectedly.

Laura
EmilyBear

Postby shelby1148 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 03:00 pm

by shelby1148 (2 Posts), Tue Jan 15, 2013 03:00 pm

I was also scared to try again. Lost my daughter March 23 of 2012 at 36 weeks due to an unforeseen, sudden attack of severe preeclamsia. Just found out yesterday that I am pregnant again. Needless to say I am very freaked out. My husband and oldest son have said they're "putting me in a bubble". But I am very scared. I had never had any problems with this or previous pregnancies. This came out of the blue. I had been to my doctor the day before and everything was fine. Then the next night I have a bad migraine. My husband insists I go to the ER, and the rest is history. We live in a rural area, and I refuse to go back to the local hospital. The closest good hospital is around 50 miles away. Needless to say, I'm trying not to worry..but its hard.
shelby1148

Postby babpyle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 am

by babpyle (2 Posts), Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 am

Our daughter was also born at 33 weeks and spent 17 days in the NICU. We decided to have another child,and had a son. I did have high BP during his pregnancy and was put on meds and had to see my doctor more often. Had I known everything I do now I would have requested to see an MFM before getting pregnant the second time. Which is what we are in the process of doing now since we are trying to decide if we should have a third or adopt. The best advice I can give you is to find a good MFM and talk with them about any concerns you may have and find a doctor who delivers at a hospital with a Nicu just in case.
babpyle

Postby shelby1148 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 04:00 pm

by shelby1148 (2 Posts), Thu Jan 17, 2013 04:00 pm

what worried me the most about it is the fact that there were no previous warning signs..my doctor had just seen me the previous day. I just found out a few days ago that we are expecting sometime in early september. i'm currently still on a medicine called nifedepine..i'm trying not to stress over it though. we live so far away from a decent hospital, that i'm considering a temporary move once its closer to time.
shelby1148

Postby ramatalwadker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 04:31 am

by ramatalwadker (5 Posts), Mon Feb 04, 2013 04:31 am

i too lost my baby at 27wks due to severe preeclampsia in Sept 2012. we r from India. dr has advised me not to try again for a min of 6 mths atleast. but i see myself longing for the baby and almost cry every night.
am too scared to go through the loss of another baby if it happens. did anyone hear about the tablet Grasa? my dr mentioned that next pregnancy he would give that to avoid PE so early.
ramatalwadker

Return to Ask the Experienced