Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Post partum Pre-E or Pregnancy Induced Hypertension

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Post partum Pre-E or Pregnancy Induced Hypertension

Postby MLeever » Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:42 pm

by MLeever (2 Posts), Mon Jan 07, 2013 03:42 pm

So, this will be long, but my story needs to be told before I can ask my question...My first pregnancy was a good pregnancy, despite heart burn, lower back pain and morning sickness that lasted until the 5th month and came back in the 9th. My blood pressure was good, normal. I didn't have any headaches, excessive swelling, poor vision, etc. My blood platelet count was off, but not so bad that it meant anything different for my labor and delivery. All during labor (induced, 12 hours, 2.5 hours of pushing), my blood pressure was fine. I almost bled out after, due to blood clots. After I gave birth, I was extremely tired and had this terrible headache... so bad I could not lift my head! I only found relief when I was lying flat on my back. The next morning my face was so swollen my husband could barely recognize me. BP was STILL normal!! LO was in the NICU, so I went home without him. I left the hospital still with this terrible headache. Surprisingly, it went away when I got home and was able to sleep in my own bed. I gave birth on a Friday, went home on Sunday at midnight, and came back to the hospital on Tuesday for a "step down" to get my LO home with me. Tuesday night, at the hospital, my head started hurting again. Wednesday morning, 2 am, I told hubby that I HAD to go the ER. My head hurt so badly, I couldn't safely hold my baby! They gave me a cat scan, MRI and lots of morphine. The drugs didn't help. I started feeling a pain in my chest and started coughing. I didn't know at the time, but my lungs were filling with fluid. I don't know how long it took before they got an OB to the ER to help, but it seemed like forever. I lost consciousness, and when I awoke, I was in the ICU and was told it was Pre-eclampsia. I spent another week in the hospital (while my baby went home without me...). I had to be completely de-hydrated to get the fluid out of my lungs and my breast milk supply never came in. I marathon pumped for a month before being told by my LC that it wasn't meant to me. Now, 2.5 years later, my son is healthy, happy, active and very smart.... and we are pregnant (17 weeks)! I have a few forewarning signs of pre-e, and will most likely be put on high bp meds tomorrow when I see my doctor next.

Here's my question(s): Has anyone gone through something similar? If so, have you gone through another pregnancy? I'm afraid that 1. something like this will happen to me again (pp trouble) and 2. I won't be able to breast feed my 2nd baby. Also, since I didn't go through pre-eclampsia during my first pregnancy, but almost died after, I am scared and don't know what to expect. Any words of advice? Anything I need to specifically ask my doctor about? What do I include in my birth plan that might be different from a normal, low risk pregnancy?
MLeever

Re: Post partum Pre-E or Pregnancy Induced Hypertension

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat Jan 12, 2013 02:25 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Sat Jan 12, 2013 02:25 pm

Hi, What a scary PP experience! I haven't had an experience similar, but for this pregnancy, you might ask your OB to consult with an MFM (high risk doctor) to create a monitoring plan during your pregnancy and pp. Keep posted when ya can!
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced