PIH Am I cured???

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : PIH Am I cured???

Postby deerhart » Tue Jun 03, 2003 01:41 pm

Rain that was my first pregnancy.

In my second pregnancy I would get spikes where suddenly my BP would jump to like 150/100 and then crash back to 130/75-80. This occured for about 6 weeks until it finally stayed in the 120/90 range and my doc just induced beofre it really kicked in. It started at around 30 weeks my seond pregnancy and I was induced at 36 weeks (had felt HORRIBLE the last week, had a few high readings (130/92 and 120/98), massive headaches, weight gain/swelling starting, prior to 34 weeks I had gained a grand total of 0 lbs (lost 17 lbs and had gained back htose 17lbs) I gained 10lbs between 34 weeks and induction, no protien and labs good)
Erin

raindrop

Postby raindrop » Mon Jun 02, 2003 07:47 pm

*****one week my bp was 150/98 the next week 120/60 the next week 138/85 the next week 140/95

weeks 28,29,30,31 and it just got worse from 32+ on all my sympotmns.

Erin*****

Erin was this in your second preg that your BP went up and down like that??

That is how mine has been doing for about a month now and my high readings seem to be getting a bit higher each time. AT present the doc said that sometimes when starting the 3rd tri. that BP will do taht some, just wondering if he was trying to calm me or if this is just a normal thing that happens when PIH starts its onset.

One of the docs already told me that I had PIH and I had PE with my first that was caught at 34 1/2 to 35 wks along and was induced at 36 wks with it. But the first time my BP was never high till I was put in hospital, then it kept getting higher each day till they induced.

I am 30 1/2 wks now.

Donna - 31
Richard - 31
Cassandra Leigh- 1-24-94 (from his first)
Chanda Renee- 6-30-95 (from his first)
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - 36 wks due to PE
Baby boy EDD 8-8-03

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:03 am

I have to say that all the testing done on me as much as i hated it during my first pregnancy was the only thing that kept me sane. I knew how bad I was feeling and while it was extremely frustrating that all the tests were coming back normal (I felt like a hypercondriac) it also gave me some reassurance that they were taking me seriously and had a good track of solid data to compare to if anything changed. The weekly NST's were just wonderful as he always passed and it was so reassuring to hear the heartbeat every week and knowing it was another week we had bought for him.

laura

Postby laura » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:51 am

Hey Christy, maybe you should mention to your doc that you would be more comfortable with an 'expectant' approach to the hypertension- I made that clear with my first visit with my ob in my second pg- I made it clear that aggressively managing the hypertension was a priority for me, because I'd had severe pe with my first. I don't know if he was super cautious on his own or because I had made it clear how I felt about it, but does it matter, as long as the treatment was good?

I'm sure he gets the faction that is put out by perhaps unnecessary precaution, so perhaps he thinks he's doing you a favor by not being more cautious.

I would also ask when he thinks you may need to begin non-stress testing- many docs will start that on diagnosis of hypertension. Just a thought. Best of luck to you!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

chess

Postby chess » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:31 am

Hello everyone.

I absolutely understand your zealous approach. This is scary stuff and aggravated by not knowing what is just the normal aches and pains of pregnancy and what is more serious. I just want a healthy baby and would hate it if I did not make that the #1 priority. If you had not told me I would have just taken his word for it that a 24 hr urine was not necessary.
I compromised with myself and will work just 1/2 days until I see Dr. on Wed. I will monitor BP closely and report anything over 90. I will demand a 24 hr urine!!! And if my DR. is not taking this as seriously as I am then I will see someone else.
Thanks and best wishes to all. I will update afer Wed. appointment.
Christy (37)
DH Joe (42)
DD Morgan (11)
DD Courtney (9)

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:30 am

one week my bp was 150/98 the next week 120/60 the next week 138/85 the next week 140/95

weeks 28,29,30,31 and it just got worse from 32+ on all my sympotmns.

Erin

laura

Postby laura » Mon Jun 02, 2003 05:14 am

Cathy, I have to say that when I first started posting on the board, I had the same reaction you did. I think a lot of us do. When you experience something as traumatic as severe pe- especially with a premature baby-especially so recently- you are going to have a strong reaction and want to warn other women what can happen- try to keep them from what happened to you. It's only natural. Every situation seems like a potential emergency reminiscent of what happened with you. I am happy to note, that though many women have posted about high pressures in the past few months, nobody has developed eclampsia to my knowledge, knock wood.

And I have to say, on a certain level, I had the same reaction to the 170 as you, and the same concerns about working, but didn't know how to voice that thought in a constructive way- especially since her doc hasn't prescribed bedrest yet.

You know, I've been knocking around here since January, and I still don't have a really good understanding of how many PIH and mild PE cases turn into trainwreck mag severe pe cases like the ones we had. I wish I did!

And Christy- you hang in there, girl, four more days, and you can enjoy your life of leisure, and hopefully appreciating your last nights of uninterrupted sleep (HAHA- I'm up 'cause I couldn't go back to sleep after 3:00 am feeding[xx(])

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

cathyw

Postby cathyw » Mon Jun 02, 2003 04:43 am

Hi, Christy..I apologize if my response caused you stress..Believe me, I am trying to help only..I wrote the response after a 10 hour flight from San Francisco to Amsterdam which partly explains the intensity of my response...the other part is that I delivered a preemie baby only 7 months ago and went from PIH to Severe Pre-Eclampsia in a matter of days which was horribly frightening...It is good to hear that you are feeling better and your swelling is down. Also, please do the 24 hour urine collection and please do not feel that you are blowing your condtion out of proportion. The pressures that concerned me the most were the ones in the 170s. After I started experiencing that high of BP is when the repeat 24 hour urine collections came back positive for BIG amounts of protein and when I was diagnosed with Pre-e. I believe that without the 24 hour urine you have not been thoroughly worked up for Pre-Ecampsia. My labs and urine dipsticks never told the full story. It is great that you are 34 weeks. Your baby will do well. Hang in as long as you can and take care of yourself. I was instructed to call the doctor if the systolic pressure was higher than 160 and diastolic pressure higher than 90. I was on meds which were adjusted frequently as well as bedrest. Although the scientific data does not conclusively support the merits of bedrest, I truly believe that it prolonged my pregnancy. Take care!! Cathy

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Mon Jun 02, 2003 00:38 am

Christy,

As you can see--there are some really strong opinions about preeclampsia because some difficult and terrible things can happen. We aren't doctors and we aren't you--so we can only say as individuals what we each feel to be true. What is right for one woman would not be right for another.

Sounds like your BP is creeping up--though only you and your doctor can decide when you should deliver. I do agree that being vigilant is important. The studies on bedrest are actually very disappointing--some show it is helpful and others suggest is doesn't help at all--and I know what it is like (as a former teacher) to want to finish out the year.

I would suggest you call about your BPs over 90--each and every time--and I would agree that you will want to take special care. I wouldn't go so far as to say you are jeapordizing your baby's health at this point--but I think the sentiment is that we all realize in hindsight how close we cut things and no one would want to see you suffer or pay a very high price for that. Preeclampsia does not go away on its own until the baby is born. Some people believe a special diet can "cure" it but this diet has not been proven to be effective by scientific studies. It may help--I cannot say--and it certainly won't hurt--but no--there is no cure to this disease once you start down the slippery slope. The only real question is then--how long is the slope--and how steep...most experts agree from diagnosis to delivery--the average woman has two weeks.

Some women do have very serious experiences---seizures, strokes, and lose babies--at BPs like yours--but that is not the norm. STILL--it bears watching and I DO completely agree that you should insist on a 24 hour urine.

We are all quite passionate about this--and it sounds like you have the wisdom to see that beneath our zeal we mean well. Too many of the women here have lost babies for there not to be that kind of energy about us and I do apologize if it is scaring you. That is not helpful to you and we need to be cognizant of the fine line between support and encouraging you to be proactive--and causing terrible fear.

It would ease my mind if you let your doctor know you were crossing the 90 threshold. I suspect you have done already--but thanks for keeping us informed. We mean well and want to keep you safe.

Take care,

Anne

chess

Postby chess » Sun Jun 01, 2003 07:37 pm

Cathy,
your reply was very serious and because I want to do the right thing I am going to ask a few more questions. I am not trying to minimize I am just needing a little more before I can face the idea of not working, resting, and questioning the judgement of my DR.
I have monitored my BP on a home monitor today and yesterday. They have stayed around 140's 150's/80's. My Dr. said not to be concerned unless the bottom number is over 90 (which it has been the last 3 times I have been in his office and on friday eve.).
I feel pretty good this weekend...no severe headaches..and a bit more energy. My swelling is down in the morning (except for my hands) and I have not even been DX with Pre-e.
I have had 2 normal pregnancies (different husband & 9 yrs ago) and i am normally very healthy. It is just so hard to believe that anything could be wrong and this isn't just something I am blowing out of proportion.
Also, I am at 34 wks on Tuesday! Yea.
Thanks...and I really do appreciate your wisdom.
christy

Return to “Ask the Experienced”